PEAX Equipment

Puffies

Lambo

Quick question. Are people wearing their puffies (jackets and pants) over their existing gear. I am doing a sheep hunt this year and have not hunted out west. Do you need to order XL size to put on over Large sizes, XXL over XL... I ordered the Kuiu puffies which i like but am tryig to figure out whcih size to get . Their stuff runs tight in my opinion.

Depends on the brand. First Lite said to order everything the same size, which seemed to work for me. My puffy is the same size as my base layer. But I also have a mid layer that’s the length of a summer dress, so YMMV.

Quick question. Are people wearing their puffies (jackets and pants) over their existing gear. I am doing a sheep hunt this year and have not hunted out west. Do you need to order XL size to put on over Large sizes, XXL over XL... I ordered the Kuiu puffies which i like but am tryig to figure out whcih size to get . Their stuff runs tight in my opinion.
Kuiu has 2 fit sizes: layer or outer makes a difference but is model dependant

Kenai is nice all around, the pro down is my outer layer when glassing

Kuiu has 2 fit sizes: layer or outer makes a difference but is model dependant

Kenai is nice all around, the pro down is my outer layer when glassing
Thank you, I ordered a kenai and the L is just too tight for me so am exchanging for XL. The puffy iordered is XL and fits great but am now concerned about it fitting over a Kenai XL. Does this make sense? Never thought Puffies would be necessary but everybody recommends them. BTW have you worn the Kenai in cold conditions (sub freezing). I love it but it seems light.

Depends on the brand. First Lite said to order everything the same size, which seemed to work for me. My puffy is the same size as my base layer. But I also have a mid layer that’s the length of a summer dress, so YMMV.
thank you for this.
I just don't understamnd where puffy layers fall. Outer or mid layer.

I wear the sg puffy layers when I sit to glass. Other than that they are in the pack. I ordered true to size. Pants are on the line if they were a hair smaller I would have gone up a size and I have chicken legs. jacket is perfect even when I decide to throw it over bino pack.

Reactions: Hem
I wear the sg puffy layers when I sit to glass. Other than that they are in the pack. I ordered true to size. Pants are on the line if they were a hair smaller I would have gone up a size and I have chicken legs. jacket is perfect even when I decide to throw it over bino pack.
Thank you for this. Are you wearing your puffies over your pants and jackets? Or are you taking off jacket/pants and putting them on?

I just wear my regular Patagonia puffy (L) hunting with a Swazi pullover jacket.

I wouldn’t wear my puffy pants anywhere. They’d rip. I slip them on only when glassing.

How many layers are you wearing to puff up?

Attachments

• IMG_0956.gif
    IMG_0956.gif
    3 MB · Views: 4
I just wear my regular Patagonia puffy (L) hunting with a Swazi pullover jacket.

How many layers are you wearing to puff up?
Great question. I planned a base layer, and the kenai jacket. I was trying to figure out if i needed puffy over the kenai. Or the kenai over the puffy.

Another thing to remember is if you are taking puffy pants and jacket anyway might be able to go with a higher temp rating sleeping bag/quilt. Save some weight there, I sleep in all.my clothes and on colder night will put the puffy's on.

Thank you, I ordered a kenai and the L is just too tight for me so am exchanging for XL. The puffy iordered is XL and fits great but am now concerned about it fitting over a Kenai XL. Does this make sense? Never thought Puffies would be necessary but everybody recommends them. BTW have you worn the Kenai in cold conditions (sub freezing). I love it but it seems light.
the kenai is plenty warm espically as a heat to weight factor. Are you trying to layer a puffy over the kenai? Thats puffy on puffy crime, If so your doing it wrong unless your from florida and hunting the north pole. I wear a kenai under a yukon hard shell in zero temps (often snowy or windy) on a regualr basis.

Another thing to remember is if you are taking puffy pants and jacket anyway might be able to go with a higher temp rating sleeping bag/quilt. Save some weight there, I sleep in all.my clothes and on colder night will put the puffy's on.
Oh man - you are killing me. Too much to think about but this makes sense. I have a 15 degree bag, probably dont want to go warmer than that. I was thinking i would be in socks long johns and shirt for sleeping.

I have a bag liner and sleep in all my clothes. Learned it from a military survival podcast a while back. Game changer.

the kenai is plenty warm espically as a heat to weight factor. Are you trying to layer a puffy over the kenai? Thats puffy on puffy crime, If so your doing it wrong unless your from florida and hunting the north pole. I wear a kenai under a yukon hard shell in zero temps (often snowy or windy) on a regualr basis.
Thank you ccc. This is where I am getting confused. I am a northeast hunter that tracks deer (Northern Maine). Generally I don't get bothered by the cold. I would have just gone with a Kenai jacket - far lighter than my wool jacket from the northeast. The guides and outfitters recommend the puffies and I am struggling to understand how to fit that in. You now talk about a hardshell. That is a foreign term to me. Is that a rain jacket?

I have a bag liner and sleep in all my clothes. Learned it from a military survival podcast a while back. Game changer.
I have a merino liner as well. I don't use it much tho probably should. You are 100% correct about sleeping in clothes being a gamechanger. So nice just waking up tying my boots and ready to go. No more dredding get out of the warm bag to get dressed. John Barklow is where I first heard about the sleeping in clothes. I don't wear my boots to bed tho. 😀

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back