Properly Caring for Game Meat

Diaz

You know...I was watching one of these outdoor channel hunting shows and it hit me that no one talks about caring for the meat. Randy does mention it a lot and passes on animals because of the warm weather and the possibility of the meat going bad. That's awesome and the way it should be. If you can't get it out and save the meat, back off and take a picture!

Back to were I was going: you see guys (on TV) shooting these animals in the morning, they then show photos of the animal late in the day....not gutted! What's the deal with that? Are these guys just trophy hunting and they don't care what the meat will taste like? I know they claim to donate the meat to shelters and all that but man if you have ever had gamy venison, its normally because it was not cooled (iced) down quickly.

My Father was a butcher and avid outdoorsman. He was the guy that explained to me how "pictures are great but you can't eat them". Dad was a guy that would tell you "as soon as the animal is down, take a picture whatever, get it skinned out, quartered, boned and on ice ASAP".

I took that to heart and handle all my game animals exactly that way. I frequently have folks over to my house for dinner where I serve mule deer, elk, and antelope. Its amazing to see how people hammer the antelope steaks and comment that all three are good but this one is the best. If you ask most guys that hunt antelope, the will claim to turn them into summer sausage because that's the only way they can stomach that goat.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

In the early 90s, on a hunt in Wyoming, i was quartering a deer and a truck full of good ol boys drove by on a two track close to me and asked "ya need any help? Know what yur doin there?"... i thanked them and let them know i had it under control. As they pulled passed me, i could see the stack of deer in the bed. Must have been 6 or 7 deer piled into that truck at 3 in the afternoon. I still remember wondering what those deer must taste like after baking all day, hair on.
Them fellas must've had poor taste buds.

I was raised like you; kill, picture, gut and get the skin off as fast as you can. Most of the time anymore, we kill a long ways from the trailhead unless we are on our friends ranch, so we also quarter and bone out the meat to pack it out. I've always loved the taste of elk, but properly taken care of antelope is sure hard to beat too (especially when they are shot off wheat and alfalfa fields). A lot of people I know are not wild game fans, but when they eat at our house, there are never left overs and I get bombarded with questions on why it tastes so good when everything else they have ever had sucks. And I tell them, it's all about how you take care of an animal once you've had a successful hunt!

"as soon as the animal is down, take a picture whatever, get it skinned out, quartered, boned and on ice ASAP".

I disagree slightly, I like to let my meat hang on the bone if possible and ideally get it into a cooler/walk in as opposed to ice. But, agree getting it cooled as quickly as possible is priority number one.

Most of my friends are foodies, but not hunters. Most are surprised by the flavor of the meats that I prepare. They always tell me "it's not gamey at all". I think so many of the misconceptions about what game tastes like is a result of poor processing.

The other major factor is diet in that this isn't a cow at the feed trough, this is a grazing animal that is feed a diverse diet that can and change significantly throughout the year.

Which is reason numero uno why I love hunting CA hogs in the winter after they've been eating acorns for a couple of months.

Depending on temperature where you hang deer and elk, it can be good to hang and age. However, antelope is different and it's best to skin, quarter, clean as well as you can, and get it on ice as soon as you possibly can. Cut and wrap as soon as possible. I have done this for years and always impress my wife who likes antelope best now, even after growing up in Wyoming and tasting alot of gamey meat.

Those hunters who drive around with antelope on the vehicle still with hide on, often in 60 to 70 degree temps, undoubtedly experience pretty gamey tasting meat.

A bit of trivia: the species closest to the antelope is the giraffe.

I was raised in CA. I have a soft spot to casing hogs. Man are awesome when the have been in the barley for a couple weeks!

I too would prefer a walk-in cooler...no question. Unfortunately where I am normally chanting "YES" after successfully connecting, there no cooler for a long ways. :)

I agree 100%.

It's also the disadvantage of archery hunting. Even with a perfect shot, death is not instant, and it's usually in the warmest part of hunting season. Don't get me wrong, I archery hunt 40 + days a year, but the best eating venison is an instant kill with a flintlock or high-power.

I was wondering since this is a meat care thread has anyone used citri acid to keep flies off and if so does it work. Do u use the powder and mix it with water or what just wondering cause black pepper didnt seem to work to well or i didnt have enough.

I use alot of black pepper,,,I have also heard of wiping vinigar on the meat before peppering but havnt tried it yet.anybody else heard of the vinigar method and would like input on it if youve tried it?

If you are hunting early season antelope, hanging it out to age is not going to work. I always put antelope on ice as soon as possible after harvesting because of the warmer temperatures (with the exception of a few Montana openers).

I was hunting antelope a few years ago in Wyoming and there were two RVs pulled off the side of the hwy in a parking area with antelope strung up on the rv ladder for aging. The temperatures during the heat of the day was well into the 90s, I don't imagine those antelope were edible by the time they got home. What a complete waste of the animal.

I have never used citric acid or black pepper. Never had a reason to. Good game bags (not the cheap cheese cloth ones you can buy at wally world for 99 cents), shade, and if it is warm ice. Warm being highs in the mid 50s and that still worries me.

I too have seen the piles of deer/antelope in the backs of trucks that have not yet been field dressed, some of them being stiff with rigamortis. Nasty! And very disrespectful of the animal.

I have heard people claim that deer forage makes a big difference on taste and that it will taste better than a deer that feeds in the sage flats. I personnaly have not experienced this to be true and find very little difference in flavor. I think the best tasting deer that I have had is Coues deer and they are desert dwellers. No corn anywhere.

Meat care is of primary importance, once the trigger is pulled or arrow is released. I will stop for pics, but after that, it is all about venison.

It is not that difficult to take care of an animal in the woods, even in the dark. Yeah, plenty of work, but nothing that can't get done. I would say the primary problem is heat. Heat outside where the carcass cannot cool down, and heat built up inside when not field dressing right away.

I mean think about what a nice young steer would taste like if you shot him too far back, waited a few hours to field dress him, drug him through some dirt, drove around with him in the back of your truck on a hot day, and them hung him in your air-tight garage for a few days with the hide on. Not sure why some guys would expect game to be any different.

You will see more gutless processing, boning, and quartering in the episodes we shoot this year (assuming we actually shoot something). Thinking about some out takes of boiling skulls and doing euro mounts, maybe even some cut aways of butchering prior to the cooking and eating.

Given how important that is to the hunt, I think we need to fit it in wherever we can and where ever it fits good.

Awapiti

The problem with hanging game animals like elk and deer is that the fat will go rancid almost immediately unlike beef which keeps longer. I can't say that this process adds much, however there many swear buy it and I respect that.

When hanging meat that is not boned out, you will find that the outside of meat feels cool /cold but if you cut into it and get down to the bone you will notice a major temperature difference. The bone will hold the heat for a very long time and that is not good for the meat. That's why no matter where I am or time of year I take the animal apart.

Fin,

Posting while your program is on?

How it goes for the traveling vagabonds that are the OYOA crew.

Sitting in MSP airport with a flight delay from some supposed east coast weather problems. On the bright side, the TSA guy in Rochester said he watched the MT archery show last week and talked my ear off. Easiest pass I ever had through a TSA checkpoint. :D

Clean it. Cool it. Cover it. I love pictures and videos as much as anyone, but getting the meat out is what is on my mind when the animal hits the ground. Honestly, you can't expect a 10 year old bull elk to taste as good as a 1 year old steer, but that's just my opinion.

The worst elk I ever TRIED to eat was a young bull I shot when I was ten. He was living in sage and I shot him 3/4 times in the guts. My dad is extremely anal when it comes to cleaning the meat and he still did not taste worth a piss! I have eaten 7-10 year old bulls that tasted much better!

Early season mule deer back straps are my favorite venison.

Last edited:
How it goes for the traveling vagabonds that are the OYOA crew.

flight delay from some supposed east coast weather problems.

Trust me, we are getting pounded. Severe thunderstorms all afternoon.

Is It bad that I was hoping that lightning would strike my 1919 chimney, just so I wouldn't have to re-point it? :)

Cheater!!:D

He was almost as congenial than the Bozeman TSA guy who found three live .270 rounds in my carry on. That guy was pretty cool about it, but blushed when I told him that bag had been carried on for three round trips over the last couple years, and it took that long for someone to finally find them for me. I had been looking for them, but never got to keep them. :confused:

If you are wearing hunting gear or logo'd outdoor clothing, go through the TSA line with the old gray haired guys - better chance they will be in the hunting/fishing demographic. They love to shoot the breeze about hunting and have a sense of humor, or at least whatever sense of humor allowed by TSA.

Avoid the line with the lady that looks like Rosie's younger sister, or even more worrisome, her partner. That usually pegs out the frustration meter. They are usually frustrated about everything in life, so a guy wearing a Federal Premium Ammo hat and a Howa rifle shirt is going to pay, and pay dearly.

No charge for that advice..... ;)

Awapiti

The problem with hanging game animals like elk and deer is that the fat will go rancid almost immediately unlike beef which keeps longer. I can't say that this process adds much, however there many swear buy it and I respect that.

When hanging meat that is not boned out, you will find that the outside of meat feels cool /cold but if you cut into it and get down to the bone you will notice a major temperature difference. The bone will hold the heat for a very long time and that is not good for the meat. That's why no matter where I am or time of year I take the animal apart.

Yes, that was my point, cool the meat asap...but if you are going to hang them, make sure the temperature is below 55 during the day and gets down in the 30s at night and ensure during the day it is in the shade. I rarely hang antelope. I use the gutless method, bone it out, place in freezer bags and then on ice is how I do it. Never had a bad antelope this way.

Have never killed a deer when it was too warm to hang it, but I only started bow hunting a couple years ago and had no luck in early season. When gun hunting, as long as it's cold enough, I hang my deer (gutted) with the cavity propped open, in a pole barn with the doors open. If the temps are in the 30s - low 40s for a daytime high, I will let them hang for a couple days. I think it makes a difference if you let them go through rigor mortis on the bone. After that I bone the meat out and put on ice for another couple days before cutting and packaging for the freezer. My kids love the meat. Going to have to figure out how to deal with it in early season this year (hopefully) as my younger daughter is going to hunt youth season the first weekend of October. Probably skip the hanging and increase the amount of time on ice. We'll see.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back