Probably a little overthinking… 7mm-08

nhenry

Howdy

What are the accuracy symptoms related to a Remington 700 barrel needing a pressure point?

I went out and shot my 7mm-08 with Hornady Superformance 139gr CX I picked up at my new favorite store — Scheel’s.

The gun either didn’t like the ammo or it needed the pressure point I sanded out.

Granted, I should have also picked up a couple other options like the Precision Hunter and a Nosler option.

It shot around 1.5-2” and it was very repeatable for 18 shots in around the same POI.

As the original question states, what are the symptoms of needing the pressure point after all? I’m not sure if it’s a wandering POI or the groups opening up past 3” or what.

01015A22-E301-4C46-8DC2-42D80655575A.jpeg
As an aside:
No it’s not the shooter. I can regularly shoot 1/4” groups with my 280 AI (not-so-humble brag).
No it’s not the scope or rings either.

I’m probably just overthinking the whole thing and the rifle just needs cleaned

I knew the model 7 has a pressure point. Didn't know the 700 had one too.

Fold a couple of business cards & put between the barrel & forestock.

She probably just don't like that particular load 🤷‍♂️? Idk, but I'd try a few other loads before I started thinking about changing anything with the rifle. They're all weird and have their quirks. Kinda like women.

I like 700's but that pressure point comes out of every one and barrels get free floated. Neever saw one with that pressure point shoot well.

I’ll for sure be loading up some ammo to try in it, but is there a specific factory load that pleases most people?

Hornady Superperformance stuff is very hot loaded. Personally, I haven't had much luck with it from an accuracy standpoint and the ES on the chrono has not been good at all. I shot a box through my .257 Bob and best I could get was 1.5-2" accuracy.

My buddy is shooting up a couple boxes in his 280. Same results...saw as much as a 200 fps ES on that stuff on a warm SoCal day.

I'd say try different ammo.

Hornady Superperformance stuff is very hot loaded. Personally, I haven't had much luck with it from an accuracy standpoint and the ES on the chrono has not been good at all. I shot a box through my .257 Bob and best I could get was 1.5-2" accuracy.

My buddy is shooting up a couple boxes in his 280. Same results...saw as much as a 200 fps ES on that stuff on a warm SoCal day.

I'd say try different ammo.
I'll try something else. Probably will see about 120gr TTSX over CFE 223 and get a box of Precision Hunter. I've always liked Superformance. It has shot immaculate in two 25-06s. Never have used it in other rifles though.

I have rarely seen a rifle that won't shoot the Hornady Whitetail's well. I would also add the blue box Federal PowerShocks to that list.
I’ll have to pick some up. Scheels had about everything I could ask for. They even had tons of primers, though no large rifle ones

I’ll have to pick some up. Scheels had about everything I could ask for. They even had tons of primers, though no large rifle ones
If you wanna pick up a few bricks & send em this way...
None of the local shops (50 miles) have had bricks of primers to sell.
Those that do have primers are selling by the pack (100) limit 2 packs.
And no large rifle or small pistol.

I do business with a distributor/wholesaler. Sign on their door still reads " no primers, don't even ask".

Back