Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Podcast - request for topics

Hi Randy,

I really enjoy your podcasts. I'm particularly worried about the transfers of federal land that you've talked at length about. I enjoy hunting federal lands both here in my home state of Mississippi as well as out west. I'm not sure if this is a podcast topic or maybe you've already covered it, but how can someone like me, in Mississippi, help with the fight against federal transfers?

Edit: I should add that after recently buying a few acres of land in SW Montana, I am really looking forward to my family being able to enjoy the millions of acres of national forests there.

Last edited:
Hi Randy,

I really enjoy your podcasts. I'm particularly worried about the transfers of federal land that you've talked at length about. I enjoy hunting federal lands both here in my home state of Mississippi as well as out west. I'm not sure if this is a podcast topic or maybe you've already covered it, but how can someone like me, in Mississippi, help with the fight against federal transfers?

Edit: I should add that after recently buying a few acres of land in SW Montana, I am really looking forward to my family being able to enjoy the millions of acres of national forests there.

Good question. It is probably the hardest question I get asked, in terms of having a good answer.

I really wish I could say, "Go here and join this group, their sole cause is to keep public lands in public hands." But, there is no group such as that.

Best advice I can give is to continue staying informed. Keep seeking information, here and elsewhere. Whoever you have as your elected officials, make sure they hear from you on the issue. Make sure your friends hear about it and encourage them to contact your elected officials. Groups I know of who are actively opposing this effort to transfer public lands are RMEF, B&C, TRCP & BHA. Joining them, with a note that this issue is important to you will reinforce their advocacy on our behalf when this issue is debated.

Wish I had a better answer. If others here who are active in policy have more ideas, please share them. I think your question is very, very relevant to people who are knew to the discussion and the process by which the policy issues are changed/protected. When I got into this stuff 25 years ago, Al Gore had not yet invented the internet. We did it with phone calls, letters (yeah, we really wrote letters), attending public meetings, testifying at legislative hearings, etc.

I realize that in today's world of two working spouses, raising kids, and all that life demands, the manner in which I was brought to the debate is probably not feasible. Or, at least not to the degree I was able to do it, having a wife who accomplished her employment dream of being a "stay at home mom." That gave me so much more time and flexibility. I only had one kid, so time demands there were less. I realize how different my situation was than it is for most of you today who want to get involved. Finding a good solution to the question you asked is going to make huge progress in our ability to continue recruiting the next generation of hunting/public land advocates.

Good question. It is probably the hardest question I get asked, in terms of having a good answer.

I really wish I could say, "Go here and join this group, their sole cause is to keep public lands in public hands." But, there is no group such as that.

Best advice I can give is to continue staying informed. Keep seeking information, here and elsewhere. Whoever you have as your elected officials, make sure they hear from you on the issue. Make sure your friends hear about it and encourage them to contact your elected officials. Groups I know of who are actively opposing this effort to transfer public lands are RMEF, B&C, TRCP & BHA. Joining them, with a note that this issue is important to you will reinforce their advocacy on our behalf when this issue is debated.

Wish I had a better answer. If others here who are active in policy have more ideas, please share them. I think your question is very, very relevant to people who are knew to the discussion and the process by which the policy issues are changed/protected. When I got into this stuff 25 years ago, Al Gore had not yet invented the internet. We did it with phone calls, letters (yeah, we really wrote letters), attending public meetings, testifying at legislative hearings, etc.

I realize that in today's world of two working spouses, raising kids, and all that life demands, the manner in which I was brought to the debate is probably not feasible. Or, at least not to the degree I was able to do it, having a wife who accomplished her employment dream of being a "stay at home mom." That gave me so much more time and flexibility. I only had one kid, so time demands there were less. I realize how different my situation was than it is for most of you today who want to get involved. Finding a good solution to the question you asked is going to make huge progress in our ability to continue recruiting the next generation of hunting/public land advocates.

Thanks. I will do my best to stay informed and spread the word. We have some great national forest lands here that many friends and family hunt. I had no idea about this issue until listening to your podcast and I'm certain that others around here would say the same.

I am here to help, if there's anything that I can do.

I would like to hear a podcast dedicated to explaining the positions of all of the presidential candidates in regards to 1) public lands and 2) conservation issues.

If we did that, you would probably make Donald Duck your write-in vote.

The anti-public land crowd has written the position statements of just about every Republican candidate. Just read the uniformed comments Carson provided this week as to his solution for public lands. Reflects another urban dweller's ignorance and how easily the uninformed can be led to stupid conclusions and not even know it.

Randy,
You've mentioned it the last couple podcasts, and I think it is one of the more important/least read works on hunting in recent times, so I am wondering if you could have Ted Kerasote, author of Bloodties, on. I haven't seen anything from him on hunting in a while, but I enjoy his thoughtful prose and I would guess he would be a great guest.
Regardless, thanks for mentioning one of my favorite books, hopefully a few more people read it as a result.
Matt B

I was just listening to your Q&A podcast and when you brought up the foodies turned hunters it brought up one good question. How do we prevent them from turning against us? Im not expecting a direct answer im expecting a discussion. Somewhere i heard the envioromentalists were in the same position we got all excite about them joing us and they turned against us in general.

I was just listening to your Q&A podcast and when you brought up the foodies turned hunters it brought up one good question. How do we prevent them from turning against us? Im not expecting a direct answer im expecting a discussion. Somewhere i heard the envioromentalists were in the same position we got all excite about them joing us and they turned against us in general.

I guess I struggle to see how someone who hunts for food, thereby supporting hunting and conservation, would be considered as having "turned against us."

I guess I struggle to see how someone who hunts for food, thereby supporting hunting and conservation, would be considered as having "turned against us."

I agree, I don't think they will "turn against us".

That said, what I'm concerned about is the foodie hunters don't really understand the history, heritage, and tradition of hunting. They just don't have the background or understanding that someone who comes from a hunting family has.

I think its sort of off the mark for someone to simply view hunting as a way to put food on the table...it runs much deeper than that, IMO.

Maybe the better conversation to have is, "how do we educate new hunters (foodies and in general), about the tradition, heritage, history, etc. that allows them to hunt for their food".

Another possible conflict, is that I'm not sure the foodie hunters really understand the whole concept of trophy hunting.

While I don't believe there is any real fear in them turning against hunters who hunt for reasons beyond hamburger and steak, there is a great opportunity to broaden the view of why we all hunt.

JMHO....

Randy,

I don't know too much about hunting politics out west so I am not sure if this question is applicable to anything you have run across or not. However I would really like your opinion on this topic. Here in Wisconsin we have different laws than the American Indians. The laws are so different that our fishing season is directly affected by how many 10's of thousands of walleye are speared/killed and harvested during there spawning. This is one of many examples that I (and many others) believes directly goes against ethical hunting and good conservation. They have also now made it legal for American Indians to shine and kill deer at night.

I would really appreciate your opinion on this matter and am an avid listener of your podcast. I am very thankful I found both yours and Steven Rinella's podcasts as it has made me a more aware and educated conservationists.

Randy,

I don't know too much about hunting politics out west so I am not sure if this question is applicable to anything you have run across or not. However I would really like your opinion on this topic. Here in Wisconsin we have different laws than the American Indians. The laws are so different that our fishing season is directly affected by how many 10's of thousands of walleye are speared/killed and harvested during there spawning. This is one of many examples that I (and many others) believes directly goes against ethical hunting and good conservation. They have also now made it legal for American Indians to shine and kill deer at night.

I would really appreciate your opinion on this matter and am an avid listener of your podcast. I am very thankful I found both yours and Steven Rinella's podcasts as it has made me a more aware and educated conservationists.

It is applicable in every state where tribes were granted hunting and fishing rights under their treaties. I get the frustration and how the methods and seasons of take do not align with what most non-tribal hunters and anglers hold.

Yet, that is their right, according to the courts. I'm clueless as to legal interpretation of treaty law, so I can only rely on court findings.

In MT there has been an effort the expand bison. I've watched first hand how the tribes hunt for bison, elk, and rams outside the reservation. When asked to advocate for bison expansion on public lands, I struggle to do so, as I want no part of how the tribes exercise their hunting rigjts. Probably not correct to overlay my ethos for how I interact with wildlife, but that is how it is.

Until the courts rule otherwise, I'll accept it and deal with it as part of the landscape that impacts allocation of the resource.

Hi Randy - I joined the hunt talk earlier today because I'm a big fan of the show and your podcast. I figure this is as good as any introduction, so I'll jump right in.

I am starting to wonder if I am the vast majority of hunters' worst nightmare. I grew up surfing, snowboarding and running around southern California beaches. I did grow up hiking and fishing the eastern sierras so appreciation for and conservation of our public lands is something I am passionate about. But I don’t come from a hunting family, and started hunting in my late 30’s because I guess I fall into the “foodie” group. I want to pass down to my kids where our food comes from and how to go get it, but I am a little nervous about expanding my hunting opportunities outside California.

Would you consider a quick 101 on do’s and don’ts for the “outsider”. What’s the best edict when you are a first timer (yet still on public land) in an area with a strong hunting tradition? I’d liked to hear a couple stories about a time when you’ve come across another hunter and thought – now there’s a guy who gets it. And the opposite, when another hunter did something that really pissed you off.

Who knows, maybe I’ll bump into you in Montana and you’ll be glad you passed on the tips!

Since, Utah just passed having magnifying scopes on muzzle-loaders.

I think a ML podcast would be great.

A beginners guide to ML hunting.

The differences in regulation between states.

Western Draw and OTC opportunities.

Pros and Cons of Magnifying scopes,caliber, loose powder/pellets, caps/primers, & sabots/conicals/balls.

Type of bullet for pronghorn - moose.

Type of powder.

Type of ignition (cap/primer)

Effective range (40+ inch drop at 300 yards) and ethics.

Cleaning and Care

Safety

Maybe even a Jeremiah Johnson genuine Hawken reference.

Plus one on hunting traditions and ethics. They vary state to state. I know most of the forum are knowledgeable. A review never hurt anyone. Western tradition probably hold true state to state. Eastern tradition are somewhat different, bear drives, hunting with dogs, deer hunting over bait.

I think it would be a good podcast. Let us all know how we are different and how we are the same.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back