Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Packs

I tried out a Paradox Pack last year the same time I was trying out my Stone Glacier pack. In my opinion the fit and finish on the Stone Glacier was much better than on the Paradox. That was right when they were going into production, so maybe mine just slipped through the inspection process, but I was not impressed with the sewing. They were very good about it and took the pack back and gave me a refund though so that part of the process was a good experience. My 2 cents.

npaden that shadow pic of you walking out the cape/antlers is great, and screaming for more orange draped across his antlers all at the same time.

You get what you pay for, I learned this the hardway...but budgets are budgets..buy the best pack you can afford. Get fitted, and make sure it is what you want.

I tried out a Paradox Pack last year the same time I was trying out my Stone Glacier pack. In my opinion the fit and finish on the Stone Glacier was much better than on the Paradox. That was right when they were going into production, so maybe mine just slipped through the inspection process, but I was not impressed with the sewing. They were very good about it and took the pack back and gave me a refund though so that part of the process was a good experience. My 2 cents.

I ordered mine early as well. I could have waited a while but the guys and concept impressed me so I went ahead with the purchase. I went through a couple of issues with the harness and fit. The pack really was new and a work in progress. I accepted that. Now, my issues were all handled promptly and painlessly by the guys at Paradox Packs. Customer service has been better than great and now I have a very fine, capable, comfortable, and versatile system.

As far as the sewing goes I can only speak to my pack as I have not seen any others. The X-Pac material is waterproof but Paradox will tell you the seams are not sealed and technically not waterproof. However I can put mine under the sprinkler for an hour and not have any penetration into the bag. The sewing is fine on this one.

I must say though, I have no doubt the packs are better now than in the beginning. We all learn as we go and the guys at Paradox I expect are no different.

HD

npaden that shadow pic of you walking out the cape/antlers is great, and screaming for more orange draped across his antlers all at the same time.

Thanks. The orange was for sure wrapped all over the antlers walking through the timber to get back to the road, but I took it off once we got there and I saw the shadow for the photo opportunity. We just had to walk a couple hundred yards on the road before we were back at the truck once the orange was off.

If your looking for a good pack I would check out the Hornhunter full Curl System it is a well thought out system & IMO very underated pack system. I love mine!!!

Lots of good packs mentioned here. A few worth checking our are Barney's, REI brand packs and Osprey. All offer high quality packs, that will comfortably carry as much weight as you can. There are a lot of packs out there that will work fine for 95% of all backpack type hunts, and packing out meat, no pack will work for all applications... not even the coveted SG. Strap 4-5 moose antlers on one and you'll see it fold up like a cheap lawn chair. :p

Most of the mid range "hunting style" packs are overpriced junk IMO. You're getting bottom of the line suspension systems, and average materials/craftsmanship. You're paying a lot for the name and marketing. Poorly designed, and not really made to pack much more than your lunch and spotting scope. Don't get sucked in by quiet material or camo packs. Neither is necessary for hunting, IMO. I want a pack I can strap 80+lbs of meat/antler on and walk out with instead of going back for a frame pack.

Use your heavy bag for a day pack. Internal packs suck down to nothing. My "day pack" is 7000ci, is hardly cumbersome, and sure is handy when it comes time to packing out meat...

I just got me a new blacks creek remedy 7 grip frame and mid sized 3000 c i pack for it,,,neat thing about this setup is pack is removable,,,you can load your deer or elk,then reattach the pack part,,,really impressed with it,,,made in usa also,,customer service is out standing also.

What you were told, will work. I've done it. I still have a Cabela's Alaska (?) frame hanging in my shop. Not the most comfortable and the external aluminum frame is noisy. But, if budgets are an issue, that is one way to do it.

As a general rule, the box stores are not a good place to purchase a high quality pack that is specifically designed for backpack hunting. Best of luck on your search.

Most people I know will quarter an elk, put it in game bags, then attach it to their pack. If you have an external frame pack, odds are you will be fastening it to the frame. If you have an internal frame pack, you have more options, including inserting the quarters into the "bag" you have mounted on the frame.

With the Mystery Ranch NICE frames I use, you can remove the bag and replace it with a load sling as shown in this video.

http://vimeo.com/9893957

To see more about how MR builds these internal frame NICE Frame packs, go here. It will give you an idea of what options are out there with the higher end hunting packs.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/about-hunting-packs/nice-frame

Randy, the http://vimeo.com/9893957 is no longer available.

All of the above advice is spot on, and like most things associated with hunting, you get what you pay for. In my opinion, this applies directly to boots, optics, backpacks and sleeping bags. You can cut corners in other areas. Anything that helps you hike comfortably and safely, see more, carry more or sleep well is worth the $$$.

I am a big fan of Mystery Ranch, and use the NICE frame with either the Longbow for day hunts or quick overnighters, and the Metcalf for 3-5 day hunts. Either way, I can slip a quarter or a gamebag full of boned out meat between the frame and bag. I prefer to use one pack for everything, and not juggle between a day pack and pack frame if you happen to knock down an animal. Yes MR packs are higher priced, but considering what you are going to be using it for and potentially for many years, it is worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back