Caribou Gear

EXO K2 or something new?

mikefromcanada

Hey everyone question for the group. Kind of new to backpacking. Started coyote this winter with a Eblerstock Gunslinger. I would drive out park and spend 6-8 hours walking around from various stand to stand. Sometimes would go back to the vehicle and drive somewhere else. I have always wanted into backpacking camping and hunting so I am planning a 5-7 day elk hunt this fall but will be going out for some day, 1-2 trips over the summer. Anyway, I have a line on used K2 5500 pack with some extra goodies for decent price ($700 CAD). Comes with the larger hip belt (I am a big guy), a dry bad, 2 hip belt pouches, and the crib loading panel. I have used my Gunslinger lots and really like it but I need something bigger. My question to those with some experience with packs is it worth getting a EXO K2 over something new like the new Metcalf ($850) or new Team Elk pack ($750)? I don't have a lot options where I live to try anything on before I buy.

I had an early EXO backpack and found them to be too narrow for big guy shoulders. The shoulder straps were also too short so by the time you got things cinched down the buckle at the bottom of the padding was digging into my chunk. That was the early version so the K2 may have resolved the issue

I don't know the shipping and taxes on ordering from the US to ship to Canada but even then you might be able to order a Metcalf for much cheaper than $850.

Last edited:
I have a KO2 and a Metcalf. Metcalf is easier to use and seems to have more storage. However, once loaded the KO2 seems to just carry nicer. I just wish it was easier to load an elk quarter on.

I packed out a mule deer and a pronghorn with a K3. All four quarters, loose meat and head with my gun in one trip. Very pleasant experience. The new metcalf looks great though.

The one thing I need to consider is the rifle carrying system (which is why I love the Eberlestock). I run a chassis rifle with a foldable stock. I am ok with a good solid rifle carrier vs quick access. Most of the options are a hanging buttstock holder strapped to the side of the pack. Others are use a sling. I like the side pocket which secures the buttstock and strapped to the side. The normal downside is the rifle sticks way up, but with a 20" barrel and the folding stock it shouldn't be as much as a problem. My rifle currently only sticks out a few inches of the Gunslinger. Here is the general idea on a K4, doing some research to see if the K2 will do the same.
Pack+with+raft.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using a K2 for about 8 years now maybe and have been very happy. I've packed out quite a few deer pronghorn and elk with it and find it very comfortable under a load. One gripe I have is that I have to sort of pack light for backpacking, but thats due to bag size, not a knock on the system. I find the EXO more comfortable than the Metcalf, while walking/hiking. To each their own. Both good packs.

Fit is paramount (and unfortunately very specific to each person's individual anatomy)

Thankfully, as you seem to have discovered already, hunting packs hold their value quite well especially before getting covered in blood. So there's not too much risk in buying, trying, and selling if you don't like it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back