Caribou Gear Tarp

Packing food for air travel?

Paul in Idaho

I'm packing for my first-ever excursion involving air travel. I'm trying to think of good foods that aren't really heavy (due to luggage weight limits) and don't require refrigeration.

I'll take a few Mountain House meals, but don't want to rely on freeze-dried stuff for the whole week.

We're headed to Nome, Alaska. I have heard food supplies there are unreliable and very expensive. So, I want to bring all the necessities from home. We'll have access to a very basic kitchen once we arrive, so cooking won't be a problem.

Suggestions from experienced air travelers are much appreciated.

Thanks.
Paul

Can you ship them to a hotel or outfitter ahead of time? Save you lots of money. Any business you will be working with should be willing to accomadate. It's worth a try....

Can you ship them to a hotel or outfitter ahead of time? Save you lots of money. Any business you will be working with should be willing to accomadate. It's worth a try....

X2...things that I've eaten when packing light(er) include dry soup mixes, mac & cheese, sardines/kipper snacks (gross), box rice mixes, pasta, ramen (gross), tuna in a pouch, chicken in a pouch, jerky, PB&J on bagels.

I think you can get Amazon to deliver a lot of food for really cheap or free with a Prime Account. Or you could check out some of those Long Term Food Suppliers (Wise Foods or Honeyville) to get other dried foods.

Thanks guys. I just learned yesterday that a friend of my colleague will be supplying us with some local game meat when we arrive. Sounds like the menu on this trip will be better than expected.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back