Packing food for air travel?

Paul in Idaho

I'm packing for my first-ever excursion involving air travel. I'm trying to think of good foods that aren't really heavy (due to luggage weight limits) and don't require refrigeration.

I'll take a few Mountain House meals, but don't want to rely on freeze-dried stuff for the whole week.

We're headed to Nome, Alaska. I have heard food supplies there are unreliable and very expensive. So, I want to bring all the necessities from home. We'll have access to a very basic kitchen once we arrive, so cooking won't be a problem.

Suggestions from experienced air travelers are much appreciated.

Thanks.
Paul

Can you ship them to a hotel or outfitter ahead of time? Save you lots of money. Any business you will be working with should be willing to accomadate. It's worth a try....

Can you ship them to a hotel or outfitter ahead of time? Save you lots of money. Any business you will be working with should be willing to accomadate. It's worth a try....

X2...things that I've eaten when packing light(er) include dry soup mixes, mac & cheese, sardines/kipper snacks (gross), box rice mixes, pasta, ramen (gross), tuna in a pouch, chicken in a pouch, jerky, PB&J on bagels.

I think you can get Amazon to deliver a lot of food for really cheap or free with a Prime Account. Or you could check out some of those Long Term Food Suppliers (Wise Foods or Honeyville) to get other dried foods.

Thanks guys. I just learned yesterday that a friend of my colleague will be supplying us with some local game meat when we arrive. Sounds like the menu on this trip will be better than expected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back