Our 81st wolf

Congrats on the very nice wolf, I look forward to seeing a picture of you with one of his friends, girl or boy!

Congrats on a great wolf. I've hunted them for a few years now, but have yet to punch my take. I'll go 95 lbs.

I am going with 83, and taking the under. Thanks for the post and welcome to the site

MT_elk Is the winner!

I too have hunted them specifically for a couple of years trying various methods. This morning I was just getting out to find some whitetail on the last day of the season and got lucky. It seems, from years past, that most wolves are killed by people hunting other species.

Thank you all for the welcome to the site. I have been looking at this site for several years, and really enjoy it. Seems like OYOA attracts a good bunch of good folks.

Congrats on a nice wolf. The rug and skull will be very cool.

As a fellow missoulian - I don't worry about people accepting my participation in game management. Legally taken game are just that. If folks in town have a problem, I'm more than happy to engage in thoughtful conversation over the merits of a hunter's role in the world.

Congrats again - and welcome to the site.

You may be big, but that wolf is also fluffy. Goodness that is a lot of smart predator.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I have 2 guesses
if it's a male 95 pounds, that matches my biggest dogs weight which looks really close in size.
if female, I'm guessing 92 as females always lie about ther weight.

Hunner46, you are right, and I had thought about that. Unfortunatley, I was accounting for tissue loss from the win mag. I don't wish to sound too callous here, as I have a lot of respect for what these animals are and are capable of. These wolves, like a lot of people, were put into a situation and are doing the best of what they know how, and just like a lot of people, they are good at and enjoy killing.

I will keep pushing the hunt for these guys until the season ends, and I encourage everyone here to do the same.

Late update: My taxidermist found some old heavy birdshot (maybe BB) in the tail area of this wolf. It seems like it hit right at the base of his tail. The angle suggests the shooter was above this wolf.

I'm not sure what size shot the FWP is shooting when they aerial gun these guys, but seems like a strong possibility.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back