Old buck going down hill?

antlerradar

Over the years I have been fortunate to be able to watch or find antlers from about 2 dozen bucks that reached old age. The prevailing wisdom is that after age six or seven bucks antlers start to regress back to a big two or three point if they get old enough. I believe this in more myth than reality.
None of the bucks I have watched have grown antlers that have fallowed this pattern. Most of the bucks I have watched have grown larger antlers until the age of six and then maintained or gotten slightly bigger for three to five years. Some times a bad winter or drought would cause a slight dip in antler size but the next year they would come back as big as ever. If their antlers regressed most of the bucks did not make the winter. I have only seen one deer that had two years of regressed antlers and during the second year he look very poor. I think he was 12 or 13 and his best set was at age 10.
Some of the bucks had a slightly smaller year at age seven but came back two have better sets at age eight. I think that the decline may be do to rut stress during the prime of life and as they get older they are less active during the rut and antler size increases.

I think most of the big bodied old bucks with smaller antlers are not regressing but most likely have had small antlers all of their life.

I have attached pictures of some of the bucks I have found several years worth of antlers from.
The first buck lived to age eight. He increased in size until age 7( the unmatched 4 point) but came back to grow his best set at age eight.

The second buck lived to age nine. He lost a lot of antler size at age five( a very tough winter). Bigger at age six He was a bit smaller at age seven but much bigger at age eight. His antlers at age nine are just slightly better than age eight.

I believe the mule deer died at age 10 or 11. He lost about 20 inches of antler in the year he died but he still grosses a sold 180. The previous three years(the bottom row) are his best and nearly identical in size.

What do you think? Has any one seen any studies that support antler size regressing after age six or seven?

Antlerradar

Attachments

• Davidson buck.jpg
    Davidson buck.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,124
  • Logen buck.jpg
    Logen buck.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 1,179
  • 100_0122.jpg
    100_0122.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 1,139
Art.... Your guesses are as good as......check that.

Your conclusions are as good as anyone's.

With all your sheds you need to get some of those on capes.

Really good post and a lot of effort gone in to find those antlers and follow those deer. Certainly gets the mind thinking about what are the causes and effects to antler growth in deer as their reach maturity and how long they are able to maintain peak antler growth for that animal in that environment over the course of those few years of adulthood.

I find it extremely interesting and all applicable to some degree back to other species in other locations (countries)

As for the regressing at 6 or 7, there are so many factors that vary between herds that it would be hard to identify this as a blanket comment applicable to all males. I don't believe it is so. Most male deer will plateau or remain pretty similar from year to year over those few years of adulthood. Conditions can vary and affect slight-minor changes, so can animals general health, winter severity etc etc etc, but they seem to generally put a bit of growth on, extra weight, maybe a few extra small points or extra tines, and certainly extra weight over those 3-4 years when they are at their peak age, then they regress of course if allowed to live long enough.

There is always a few exceptions to the rule and i read with great interest about 'sampson' that was a 280in class 40 in wide mule deer harvested on the strip in 2004 that was incisor aged at 4 years of age, so his 4th set of antlers, including spikes (or likely forks in this bucks case) grew to 280in of bone. I have often wondered if he was a buck that simply had everything lined up and great genetics and just grew big early or if he had of lived another 2-3 years in ideal conditions and good health simply could have turned into a humungous deer. I also think is it possible he would he have just platued and stayed around that range with antler growth for the next few years. Most hunters could confidently assume that a buck this age still has a lot of growing to do, but then that is an obscene amount of antler growth for his age. Guess we will never know as he was harvested.

Anyways, sorry for getting of track.

I read the thread title and thought you guys were talking about me. Whew!

Anyway, those are some incredible layouts! You must have access to some great country. Those would make good screen savers.

That's pretty great stuff right there. A decade watching the same bucks - Wow.

My findings reflex yours. I certainly don't have as many or as good of examples as you do though.

I've only 1 instance where a buck lost inches before 8.5yrs old. He lost close to 40" in 1 year. Maintained for a following year and then was harvested that fall.

I do not recall weather conditions during these years though.

If I find two years of the same animal I crap my pants and lose sleep all year wondering what that animals doing. Can't imagine the connection you must have watching an animal that long and picking up his horns the entire time... amazing.

Very cool. I did an annotated bibliography a few years back that looked at antler formation, morphology, etc. with 100+ citations. Your findings match the literature that I'm aware of.

What a cool post....... i havent found anything of the sorts like that for deer....... i have found a couple sets year after year on elk but nothing that goes for more than 2 or 3 consecutive years. cool post

Just out of curiosity, are you finding the sheds from the bucks pretty close to where they shed the year before?

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back