How old was this buck?

Alright @appaloosa spill the beans

Ok. So, this buck was 9.5 years old.
I was quite surprised that he was that old given how much antler growth he put on between years, I would have guessed him to be a few years younger. I guess this is why I have become more interested in aging my animals lately, they seem to continually surprise me.
Thanks for following.

Let's play a fun game of guess the age...
I just got the lab-confirmed age results back from this deer that my son harvested in 2023. Can you guess his age from live pictures?
The first picture was taken in the fall of 2022 (hardhorned). The second two pictures were early September 2023. This deer put on a lot of antler growth between 2022 and 2023. Was it due to year-to-year "bump" at a common age, or more a reflection of habitat conditions between the two years, or perhaps both?
For reference, his gross score was 174"
Enjoy
Oh man ima say 4-5 years old

Ok. So, this buck was 9.5 years old.
I was quite surprised that he was that old given how much antler growth he put on between years, I would have guessed him to be a few years younger. I guess this is why I have become more interested in aging my animals lately, they seem to continually surprise me.
Thanks for following.
Karlees deer was aged at 3.
Which is hard to believe We have video
Of him still 200 plus at age 2 if WYGF. Is right. But I don’t think so.
Just used a Wyoming tooth data from another tag. Just to know the age. Yes its face looks a lot younger than my 195” buck. But no way it’s 3 and scores 229

Attachments

• IMG_6500.png
    IMG_6500.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
Just used a Wyoming tooth data from another tag. Just to know the age. Yes its face looks a lot younger than my 195” buck. But no way it’s 3 and scores 229
Probably should have given him another year!

Wow!

Was he killed near ag? Seems like he had to have bith genetics and feed right.

I just got the lab-confirmed age results back from this deer that my son harvested in 2023. Can you guess his age from live pictures?
The first picture was taken in the fall of 2022 (hardhorned). The second two pictures were early September 2023. This deer put on a lot of antler growth between 2022 and 2023. Was it due to year-to-year "bump" at a common age, or more a reflection of habitat conditions between the two years, or perhaps both?
Enjoy
He would be as old as he would get if I could get a shot at him.

Enjoy
4 years old

Back