Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

NM Unit 50

Erdgz

Hey everyone!

First time going hunting and first time getting a tag. I got unit 50 archery.

I am planning on hunting on Cerro De La Olla and Cerro Montoso as a backup. Thoughts?

Unfortunately I can’t do any scouting ahead of time so I am limited to escouting.

Anyone have tips/pointers, good places to checkout, etc…

Last edited:
IM sure your excited about 1st time going hunting but I wouldnt put an area IM going on a public web site for anyone and his brother to see
Good luck on your hunt

I should say I ask about your first time in order to better understanding on how to help. Everyone has to start somewhere, but how about a little background? You know the area a little, shoot archery for fun, or just on a whim decided to apply and grab a bow if you drew? Lots of answers for lots of scenarios.

I should say I ask about your first time in order to better understanding on how to help. Everyone has to start somewhere, but how about a little background? You know the area a little, shoot archery for fun, or just on a whim decided to apply and grab a bow if you drew? Lots of answers for lots of scenarios.
First time hunting period. Always wanted to try hunting so I picked up a bow about a year ago. I’ve been regularly shooting my bow since.

Edited to add that I’m an avid outdoorsman. I’ve been in the military for 8 years now so my fitness is good. I’m not expecting the hiking to be an issue.

First time hunting period. Always wanted to try hunting so I picked up a bow about a year ago. I’ve been regularly shooting my bow since.

Edited to add that I’m an avid outdoorsman. I’ve been in the military for 8 years now so my fitness is good. I’m not expecting the hiking to be an issue.
No offense but don't expect great results.

Use Google maps or whatever other e-tool to help you find water. There are drinkers out there. There are few elk in the unit, but they will be where the water is - find those drinkers.

David
NM

I daresay temper your hopes too. That is one tough unit to archery hunt. It is primarily winter ground.

Back