Caribou Gear

NM unit 48 Elk and Bear

Howdy fellow Hunt Talkers!!!

I was lucky enough to draw a unit 48 early season archery elk tag in unit 48 this year!!! We have ordered topo maps and the state trust lands maps being that the state trust lands are what the unit is comprised of!! I also have the GPS hunt maps that OYOA endorses to help with boundary issues!! I am not looking for anyone's honey holes, but it sure would be nice to hear some stories of elk hunting success!!! I am still looking for my first elk and am not going to be picky for sure!! Camping in this unit was made a little tougher this year with designated camping areas as well , but we are definitely not opposed to traveling and doing some serious hiking (my brother and I are usually bivy type hunters) but camping restrictions won't allow for that option in this unit. My brother is going to get an over the counter bear tag if the quota isn't met and I was also wondering if there are many bears in the area or if it is even worth buying that OTC tag! We are wanting to make a 10 hours counting trip if possible but with a new 2 month old momma may nix that trip:) . If there is any advice thank you in advance!
And thank you to all of our military out there on this great Memorial Day!
Have a great one!
Ryan

Ryan, I used to hunt 48. Always saw a pile of bears but it's been a while since I've hunted there. PM me and I'll give you my old spots. Never killed any giant bulls in the unit but we always managed to get into elk by hiking in to the public lands behind ranches. Zero pressure if you get away from the roads. Lots of road hunting by the locals and I was always surprised to see how many guys were packing rifles during the archery and muzzleloader seasons. We never received a warm welcome from anyone we ran into in the unit if you catch my drift. Hunting GPS Maps are absolutely necessary to make this hunt happen. If you are willing to hike you could get into a nice bull or two. Generally a tough unit to hunt on public lands. We had a honey hole and it's yours if you want it. Haven't been there in years but it was a producer.
-Cody

Elk Tag

\
Ryan, I used to hunt 48. Always saw a pile of bears but it's been a while since I've hunted there. PM me and I'll give you my old spots. Never killed any giant bulls in the unit but we always managed to get into elk by hiking in to the public lands behind ranches. Zero pressure if you get away from the roads. Lots of road hunting by the locals and I was always surprised to see how many guys were packing rifles during the archery and muzzleloader seasons. We never received a warm welcome from anyone we ran into in the unit if you catch my drift. Hunting GPS Maps are absolutely necessary to make this hunt happen. If you are willing to hike you could get into a nice bull or two. Generally a tough unit to hunt on public lands. We had a honey hole and it's yours if you want it. Haven't been there in years but it was a producer.
-Cody

Any advise which side to go in from? I work in film and TV and have't had a chance to make it up there quite yet. Hoping to scout in a week though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fossil Ridge
Back