Caribou Gear

Newbies To Southwestern Wyoming

Cowbell

My wife and I both drew general rifle tags and are planning to head to Bridger NF or the areas around the Tetons. We have hunted mulies and whitetail for years and hike mountains in the summer, so we understand that we need to be in top notch shape for the hunt.
I am looking for any any advice that I could get when it comes to hunting areas 80-94. Just like anyone else, we would love to get off to ourselves but we are realistic about hunting public land. We are currently planning to camp off a main trail at our vehicle and hike in each day, with the plan to pack in a few days at a time if needed. We are curious if it is best to hunt the first week of rifle or wait out the rush? My wife is tiny and doesn't handle real cold weather as well as I, so the earlier the easier it is on her.

My ultimate goal is to see beautiful scenery, plenty of elk, and hopefully get her on a bull. We are by no means trophy hunting but would prefer a mature animal. We do not want to be the newbie NR that help educate the elk. Although I'm learning to call, I feel we will resort to calling as a last resort late in the trip. We understand wind age, thermals, and a need to be patient and slow once we do find the elk.

Not looking for honey holes, but just sound advice to help us be more successful. Also hoping to makes some friends as we will be alone in the area and good hunting friends would be a real blessing.

Thanks

Michael

Find area's that have gated roads, no vehicle access, etc. - remember thermals generally go down in the morning and evenings - get up high and use your bino's if possible too locate animals early in the morning and wait and let them feed out in the evening and boom! it's usually not that easy thou, plan on packing in a mile, that is usually the distance most road hunters will travel, sometimes less in the tougher terrain, your wife seems a lot like my wife, about 110 lbs wet.... I take her rifle elk hunting here in Idaho between Oct. 20-30 usually, its not super cold but still frosting every morning, get her a good base layer, thick "long johns" as I call them, pair of "she wear" pants and a set of water proof tops and bottoms, with those 3 layers you should be good, but I also carry a pair of bibs along for when we stop and glass, a good lightweight pack, just the frame and use a couple of small bungies too strap stuff too the pack, i.e. Jacket and camel back, its light and comfortable, when taking a wife hunting and wanting her too enjoy it you make her comfortable and she will be your partner for life, make her uncomfortable and have a bad experience and she will stay at home! Good luck,
Matt

Matt,
I appreciate the info. You certainly understand the key for me having a good hunt. My wife is on cloud nine about this hunt and I don't want her to be disappointed or shocked by the amount of work that is involved. We are aggressive hunters by nature, though, so she is used to packing in many miles in a day chasing turkeys or Mulies.
Thank you for the wise words, especially in how to keep her comfortable.
Michael

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back