Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

My 2012 Dall Sheep

Probably just a Boer goat in the pen out back. I hear tell in Montana they just roll over on their back to have 'em handled..

By looking at that sack, I'll bet that's an 11-12 year old Dall ram. Heck of a nice ram.

I can see Oak is an experienced sheep hunter, the ram is indeed 12 years old. Here is a better picture of it. Went on this trip with AKDrifter and he was nice enough to pass on this ram and let me tag my first. The trip was epic in some very big country. Can't wait till next year.

Last edited:
Wish I owned some sitka gear for my field photos. I just do not feel like a real hunter w/o it :( If anyone has size large sitka gear they are willing to let go to a poor father of two for a decent price please PM me.

Nice Ram!!!

Wish I could help with the Sitka Gear. I'm surprised you survived the rain and weather without it.

It looks like the Carhartts suited you just fine. Awesome ram. As if I didn't already have the itch to go hunting. These pictures are killing me.

Wow you are going to have a hard time topping that! Great mass and color. AKdrifter has just ruined you're sheep career with that beauty:D
I know I asked last year but do you want a brother Akdrifter? You have a great area. They just don't make it to that age where we are hunting. Big congrats to you!

That was good! Got me burst out laughin at the responses! Awesome trophy in the end! I pack in next Friday for my solo elk bow hunt in Colorado. 7th year where I go for the 30 day hunt if necessary for what I'm looking for. Been great, but this year I may choose to shoot meat and put myself out of my misery!!

LB, do I get a black shirt? The only thing I had to celebrate last year was the fact I didnt break my nose on day one, the resulting concussion put a lasting haze over the rest of the week though. So you might be remembering someone else. This year went much smoother. Congrats Ernesto, great, great ram!
i-3BdCvJL-L.jpg

Last edited:
The quest for No Doubter's!

I'll try to give a quick story.

As AKDrifter mentioned in the previous post last years sheep hunt didn't go well. We were in awesome country but because of a few mistakes we didn't tag a sheep. I still think we were in the right area and I can't wait for redemption for that spot (maybe 2014)?

This years hunt really took a turn when on June 12th AKDrifter told me he found a gold mine of info. And not just a mine but a mine with big %#@$$@ nuggets! Literally before we knew it the time came to leave for the hunt....

Most of the hunt is boring to the average hunter and not worthy of typing out. All we did was hike, hike and hike through some of the biggest most beautiful country out there. It was shame that we had a place we wanted to be for one could spend months just soaking in everything those mountains have to offer. Eventually we came into the area now known as Ram Land. It wasn't long before we saw a big ram that at the time we thought was sublegal. He was big and fat so I called him Fatso. This was a mistake leaving this ram as he was probably easily over 38" and bigger than the one we ended up taking. Big lesson learned here. Big.

A big low came when we saw a couple other tents. We eventually talked to the guys and they had flown in a few days prior. They were on their way up the mountain to stalk a ram as opening day was now in less than 12 hours. We were at a crossroads and not sure what to do. We worked hard to get here so we felt we had just as much of a right to be in this valley as them. But at the same time we have respect for other hunters and racing to rams was not something we wanted to do. As much as it hurt us we went to plan B.

Early into plan B we spotted a couple rams. One looked close so opening morning we planned a stalk and got about 400 yards from the rams. The one from the night before wasn't there but there was a ram we were sure was full curl there. The problem was we were pinned and couldn't move. All of a sudden a 3rd ram fed on a ridge closer to us. Akdrifter had the spotter on him and quickly said he's legal. He's at least 8 and probably closer to 12 years old. I didn't not want to have a repeat of last year so I told him take him! After all he was a no doubter, full curl, good mass, and very old! Akdrifter crawled a little closer with the rifle. I was excited! This was finally happening! I had my camera out and was ready to video this. All of a sudden Akdrifter said "do you want to shoot this ram?" "I already have a couple rams". Normally I would of fought him on this. As anyone that has hunted with me before knows, I always let everyone tag out before me. But with how how hard we have worked for this moment I just said sure and grabbed the gun. 320 yards and one shot from the ONE rifle we took and the ram rolled all the way down the hill and ended up in the creek.

The feeling of that moment is one that will be with me till the day I die and I can't thank Akdrifter enough. He's a class act all around and I hope this is the beginning of a lot of No Doubter's hitting the dirt!

The pack out was an adventure in itself but we did find some sweet bou horns on the way out to help pay for the trip:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back