MT General

edbentle

So I am heading west to Montana for my first year elk hunting with rifle. I didn't draw a special permit (which I am not surprised about). I am looking for any legal bull. I'm mostly in it for the meat. I have a few units on my hit list, but I am curious what you all think. What units would give me a good chance at punching my tag?

Throw a dart on the map, lace em up, and go hunting. Every unit offers a solid hunt if you are willing to put the time and effort it in. MT is a special place. Good luck!

Thanks Blake! My list of possibilities so far is 416, 415, 103, 141, 442. I should just pull the trigger on one of them.

Don't sleep on shooting a cow if the opportunity presents and it's legal in the district you are hunting. Rifle hunting the general units is no picnic. Taking any elk on public is an accomplishment especially your first few goes at it.

Region 1 is generally pretty thick and steep you might be better off looking elsewhere unless you already have something figured out in one of the districts you mentioned.

I have a friend that hunts 442. He says it is tough hunting, and that you just have to be there when the elk are moving to and from the game range (no hunting). He has killed elk but he has local connections and some private land owners that let him hunt that really helps. As far as 415, I would really look at the Montana FWP hunt planner and look at the harvest and hunter data. I would bet that most people are using horses in that unit. I don't know much about that area though. I'm sure someone on here does. As far as 416, I have driven through that area when I was out there this past season. There are a lot of roads, a lot of hunters but there are several elk killed in that district every year. Just do some hiking and you eliminate most of the hunters. Dad and I went to an easy access area were we saw elk the day before season for the opener. Bad Idea. Lots of orange, zero game. The second day we hoofed it 2.5 miles, 1900 feet up to a saddle we had scouted out previously with lots of deer sign and I got my first muledeer buck that morning. Boot leather burnt = better chance of success in these heavy hunted areas.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back