Caribou Gear

Moose Hunting Alaska

mhungerford

Well it finally has happened. I get to fulfill a life long dream of mine and head north to Alaska and spend 12 days float hunting moose. I am beyond excited. :hump: I have been doing a lot of research on what is needed and the gear I should have. but I wanted to see what the guys that have done this type of hunt or have experience in this area would say as to a gear list for this hunt. we will be going the 6th of September thru the 20th. Questions I have are should I take chest waders or just go with hip waders. Buy real rain gear or just go with my kuiu rain gear. the boat tent and camp kitchen are provided by our outfitter so I think we are covered there. My other question is what do you think about me using my 6.5x284 norma with a 156 gr norma oryx bullet. is this enough gun or should I go with a larger cal. Thank you for any advice you can provide I look forward to discussing

Last edited:
Congrats on getting the trip lined out, hope you kill a giant!

Haven't done a float hunt yet, but I would think chest waders would be more comfortable. I think I'd even bring an extra set. Putting on frozen waders isn't much fun.

The rifle will surely be enough, but I think I'd opt for something a bit bigger if you have it. Moose aren't hard to kill, but the faster you can put one down the better in some cases. working on one in the water would suck balls.

Would find out if the camp includes a packable come-a-long if not bring one and enough rope to drag one out of the water if you need too.

There are tons of Moose taken in Scandinavia each year with a 6.5x55 with a 156Gr Slug. Their moose are (from what I understand) smaller than an Alaska Moose. If you wanted to shoot that 6.5x284, I don't think you are going to find a better suited bullet than a 156gr Oryx.

In my and my family's experiences, A well hit moose doesn't tend to go that far, and often will present opportunities for multiple shots. That being said, a few extra steps from a moose can make hours of difference in how long it takes to dress and quarter it...

I hope you have a Ton of fun on your float hunt. Were I in your shoes, I'd definitely bring a fly rod, you should be able to hit part of the silvers and some fatty rainbows depending on where you are going. Some extra camp protein can be nice.

I would ask the guide about chest waders. The hunts I've done in AK were fine with Hip waders, but that was mainly for the muskeg, not so much crossing big creeks or rivers (but that's why you have a boat, right?

I spent a summer on a charter Halibut boat in AK, I would get and at least take a rubber rain jacket. You will probably be able to hunt in Kuiu raingear for the most part, but it never hurts to have a rubber rain coat. Even if you just use it in camp and in the boat.

I have been on two float hunts in AK. The first was out of Tok and the second was on the Koyukuk River. I used the pant style waders both times. On the first hunt out of Tok, I used stockingfoot waders with a backcountry wading boot. They worked good, but they froze one night and had to unthaw before wearing the next day. On the Koyukuk I used Cabelas Alaskan pant waders, apparently they do not carry them anymore I can't find them on their website, but they have attached boots that lace up for added ankle support. When it got cold and froze at night I was able to still get them on my feet in the morning.

If you go with hip boots, you will need to have rain pants over top of them, it is wet 99% of the time and the small exposed part between the top of your hippers and the rain jacket will get soaked. I use Helli Hansen Impertech II on moose hunts.

A pair of camp shoes is very important. At the end of the day it feels amazing to be out of your waders!

I've worn wading pants (breathable stocking foot design with separate wading shoes) on all my float hunts. Love 'em! Comfortable to wear all day long, easy to walk in and have never needed to wade deeper than my waist. Most rivers I've been on are too swift to safely wade above thigh level anyways. Wading pants and a rain coat have kept me plenty dry in downpours. If weather is hot, you'll stay cooler in wading pants vs chest waders.

I don't have any advise to offer regarding moose hunting other than I am quite jealous and wish you the best of luck!!!!

I used chest waders. I did get a bit hot sometimes but I just slid into the water for some quick fishing and cooled off. take several fluorescent green (or yellow) Mepps-type spinners. You'll probably catch a pike with every cast to a debris pile. Take some aluminum foil for shore lunches (cook a pike in it).
I have Helly Hansen rain gear and a lighter 'waterproof' jacket. I used the jacket more often than the rain gear but I did use the rain gear. I don't eat much candy but I find myself Jonesing for chocolate after the 3rd or 4th day. Ditto on the camp shoes, I have crocs.

Think the rain gear you have is fine.I'd go with waders instead of hip boots.Like to hear your story when you get back.I'm flying out to hunt a lake this season for moose if I draw.I'll be bringing a come along to get the moose out of the water.Float hunts just seem tough to me so I'm interested in hearing how it went.You said outfitter is supplying tent,stove ect..so are you hunting out of a base camp or floating to a pick up point?Both of us living the same dream this year and I wish you the best of luck

Go with a rope winch over a come-a-long if you can find one. 1/20th the weight and you can rig them for a 12:1 pulling ratio.

Kudos to you for living your dream. To many people go through life wondering at Heaven's door step. I'd love to do a float trip and will make it happen as well. Looking forward to some great pics. Good huntin'

For a pulley system I was thinking of something on the lines of this. http://www.akcooltools.com/hitchmaster.html
I was also looking at these wader pants. http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-gunnison-gorge-wading-pants-regular?p=82206-0
I will for sure have a fly rod along. I cant wait for the fishing.

For what I have read it really pays to be patients while moose hunting (calling and glassing. Everything says that western elk hunters have the hardest time hunting Alaskan moose because you cant just run and gun you need to sit still and take your time.
And I hope to get some great video of the trip or at least that's the plan.

Thank you all for the info.

Has anyone had any experience with the above pulley system mhungerford posted those things look pretty handy I would be interested in grabbing some of those for my next bush trip for sure if they are worth the bucks and really handle the loads as shown in the ads.

For a pulley system I was thinking of something on the lines of this. http://www.akcooltools.com/hitchmaster.html
I was also looking at these wader pants. http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-gunnison-gorge-wading-pants-regular?p=82206-0
I will for sure have a fly rod along. I cant wait for the fishing.

For what I have read it really pays to be patients while moose hunting (calling and glassing. Everything says that western elk hunters have the hardest time hunting Alaskan moose because you cant just run and gun you need to sit still and take your time.
And I hope to get some great video of the trip or at least that's the plan.

Thank you all for the info.

Yes, this is the rope winch I referred to in my previous post. I take it with me but have yet to drop a moose in the drink to need it.

Those wader pants and boots are a little pricey.Says they are mainly for warm weather.I'm doing a lake hunt but will need waders if I shoot a moose.Guy that gave us the spot has shot 2 there in 2 trips and both fell in the water.That pulley system will be a must have for me

Those wader pants and boots are a little pricey.Says they are mainly for warm weather.I'm doing a lake hunt but will need waders if I shoot a moose.Guy that gave us the spot has shot 2 there in 2 trips and both fell in the water.That pulley system will be a must have for me

Yea the pulley system will be a must. As far as the wader pants I am still looking they were just one of the first ones I came across. I have almost 8 months to figure things out.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back