Caribou Gear Tarp

Moose Colorado Randy's new video

Lab

Question?: I was a Colorado resident for many years. I built up my moose points to 13. I stopped applying for points when they started charging and went to hybrid system. I am now an out of state non resident. I applied last year but really debating this year. I hunted Deer last year in Colorado and plan on elk and deer applications this year as well. What are your thoughts?

Did you loose your points?

I apply every year as NR but that is because moose is a bucket list hunt for me. I apply in several states just for the off chance I get lucky but not every state. I am saving money to go on a OIL type guided moose hunt in AK.

For me, I do try in CO. For what that’s worth.

Did you loose your points?

I apply every year as NR but that is because moose is a bucket list hunt for me. I apply in several states just for the off chance I get lucky but not every state. I am saving money to go on a OIL type guided moose hunt in AK.

For me, I do try in CO. For what that’s worth.
Still have my points just not building anymore.

Question?: I was a Colorado resident for many years. I built up my moose points to 13. I stopped applying for points when they started charging and went to hybrid system. I am now an out of state non resident. I applied last year but really debating this year. I hunted Deer last year in Colorado and plan on elk and deer applications this year as well. What are your thoughts?
What is the question? Whether you should continue to apply? What moose hybrid system are you referencing?

What is the question? Whether you should continue to apply? What moose hybrid system are you referencing?
Yes- Is it worth it. So Colorado uses a point system lottery style. If I have 13 points I get 13 tickets in the bucket, someone else has 4 points gets 4 tickets in bucket. But the 4 point could still get drawn ahead of me by luck So essentially the system just buys you more chances does not move you up the list.

Yes- Is it worth it. So Colorado uses a point system lottery style. If I have 13 points I get 13 tickets in the bucket, someone else has 4 points gets 4 tickets in bucket. But the 4 point could still get drawn ahead of me by luck So essentially the system just buys you more chances does not move you up the list.
Got it. Although the current system is not a "tickets in the bucket" system. One ticket...random number divided by your number of weighted points and tags go to the lowest numbers.

If you're already applying for deer and elk, adding moose is only a few dollars.

Got it. Although the current system is not a "tickets in the bucket" system. One ticket...random number divided by your number of weighted points and tags go to the lowest numbers.

If you're already applying for deer and elk, adding moose is only a few dollars.
Thats what I was thinking too. Although when I moved I did not know there were resident only units. My elk unit is 161. I saw great moose every year. This unit is resident only. I am going to apply for the east side of north park I think. I appreciate it!

Thats what I was thinking too. Although when I moved I did not know there were resident only units. My elk unit is 161. I saw great moose every year. This unit is resident only. I am going to apply for the east side of north park I think. I appreciate it!
My suggestion would be to apply where you want to hunt elk and apply where you want to hunt moose. And if you draw moose, light the elk tag on fire and go moose hunting. ;)

My suggestion would be to apply where you want to hunt elk and apply where you want to hunt moose. And if you draw moose, light the elk tag on fire and go moose hunting. ;)
💯 and apply for moose based on odds/success etc versus how close it may be to your elk area. Consider applying for easiest to draw unit you would enjoy hunting.

I'd keep applying, 13 points is a bunch and if I remember correctly, you don't lose your points so you can apply with 13 indefinitely for just the application fee. It could make sense just to burn them on a cow tag if thats something you're into

Reactions: Lab
I'd keep applying, 13 points is a bunch and if I remember correctly, you don't lose your points so you can apply with 13 indefinitely for just the application fee. It could make sense just to burn them on a cow tag if thats something you're into
My dream would be a bull but I'm in my 50's now so I want to have a successful bull hunt sooner than later. I have a buddy that has a good friend that has a place in Alberta. I might go that route and cash in on a cow in Colorado.

My dream would be a bull but I'm in my 50's now so I want to have a successful bull hunt sooner than later. I have a buddy that has a good friend that has a place in Alberta. I might go that route and cash in on a cow in Colorado.
A cow moose hunt in Colorado would still be loads of fun, if you decide on one of the cow tags let me know I might have some intel!

I have a total of 23 points and as a resident drawing is still up in the air even for our areas. I wouldn’t stop putting in till I couldn’t go anymore.

Last year a young guy with far less points than you drew a tag and took a good bull in north park.

I have a total of 23 points and as a resident drawing is still up in the air even for our areas. I wouldn’t stop putting in till I couldn’t go anymore.

Last year a young guy with far less points than you drew a tag and took a good bull in north park.
StuckCreek - If you apply in some of the higher quota units, it is starting to look like some of the higher weighted point holders are starting to see some benefit.

Yeah I am hedging on numbers rather than size at this point but not hit by lightning yet!!

Im not applying for moose anymore because I legally can't after drawing my tag last year!

If you can afford it, I dont understand what the downside is.

Im not applying for moose anymore because I legally can't after drawing my tag last year!

If you can afford it, I dont understand what the downside is.
That was my point of the video. We all (or at least I do) have limited budgets. I suggested to not blow your budget on lottery-type applications if doing so is going to eat up limited budgets that would be better spent on more realistic options for easier-to-draw hunts.

In the video, I gave my thoughts, that for me and my applications there are three times one should apply for lottery-type hunts.

1. It is in your home state - lower costs and better odds.

2. As an add on in a state where you already sunk the cost in a NR resident license. To add $10-15 as an application fee, when you've already bought the NR license is a pretty cheap lottery ticket.

3. If budgets are not a constraint to your western hunting applications. This might be the case for some, but not for most.

That was my point of the video. We all (or at least I do) have limited budgets. I suggested to not blow your budget on lottery-type applications if doing so is going to eat up limited budgets that would be better spent on more realistic options for easier-to-draw hunts.

In the video, I gave my thoughts, that for me and my applications there are three times one should apply for lottery-type hunts.

1. It is in your home state - lower costs and better odds.

2. As an add on in a state where you already sunk the cost in a NR resident license. To add $10-15 as an application fee, when you've already bought the NR license is a pretty cheap lottery ticket.

3. If budgets are not a constraint to your western hunting applications. This might be the case for some, but not for most.
I agree to all that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back