Montana / on x ??

Ducks

So I have a question regarding reading the Montana OnX.. Am I correct to think that if a two track is a named road in ON X that it is open to travel on to access a piece of public? I haven't figured a way to turn on a layer that shows public roads. Thank you

So I have a question regarding reading the Montana OnX.. Am I correct to think that if a two track is a named road in ON X that it is open to travel on to access a piece of public? I haven't figured a way to turn on a layer that shows public roads. Thank you

No. There is no layer for any state that shows public roads.

That particular subject is complex that it would be literally impossible to create. Your best bet is to check with county GIS department of the area you are looking to hunt.

No. There is no layer for any state that shows public roads.

That particular subject is complex that it would be literally impossible to create. Your best bet is to check with county GIS department of the area you are looking to hunt.
Yup. I will say that if it looks like a road on the map and the area is poorly marked someone will try to drive down it.

Every road is open in Montana. Bring a bolt cutters with for insurance.........
+1
b.png

e.png

The very best way is to drive there and check it out. I've noticed a common tacit is to post a county road to give the appearance that you are entering private.

The road game is tough I've been mislead by what looks like a "public" on ONx and turned out it wasn't. Then there's the if it's bladed it's public...... well that doesn't always ring true either. I hunted a area that was hit by a fire big time. I noticed there was literally bladed spur roads everywhere and looking on my map none of them were at all visible. However no gates no signs no cattle guards no nothing through sections of private with no driveways only more spur roads into a huge chunk of public....... so we explored a couple and they went a long ass ways into places and it was unreal. I was kinda deflated because the no map we ever saw had this many roads. Actually got into 2 decent bulls and thank God we didn't take em. On the way back in the mornin the landowner popped us on the road and said they were fire line access roads that the blm was supposed to mark but didn't. Said hed been dealing with it for a few months he didn't want to bust us or anything just letting us know. So we took the long way around.
Point is unless you know for damn sure I wouldn't solely rely on what onx says or doesn't say......

Thanks for the reply's and advice everyone.... Except for the bolt cutter advice, I like having 4 tires on my truck when I get back after dark. :)

Not dumb . Good idea and shows your a true hunter . I’ll only take a trail if it’s marked as legal

I’m sure we’ve all been set up somewhere before legal light, and just as the sun starts to peak over the horizon, we see a truck driving down a road and be naive enough to think “man he better hurry up and get to his spot, it’s damn near legal shooting time.” But in reality, he’s been hunting since he turned off the asphalt.

Maybe this is dumb, but I worry about being scared to take a road because I fear vehicle traffic is prohibited, and I walk all the way out to some spot just to have some jabroni drive right by me.

Not dumb at all. This will happen on roads that are closed to motors.

Maybe this is dumb, but I worry about being scared to take a road because I fear vehicle traffic is prohibited, and I walk all the way out to some spot just to have some jabroni drive right by me.

Well...hate to say it. But that doesn't mean vehicle traffic isn't prohibited. Some people are just dick heads.

Well...hate to say it. But that doesn't mean vehicle traffic isn't prohibited. Some people are just dick heads.

If a bro drives by me on a prohibited road I won’t feel dumb. That’s the way the game goes.

I will feel dumb if a road is open, I walk it, and bros start driving by me when I could have drove myself.

Id honestly rather just walk, but if everyone else is driving, I feel I will be compelled to drive as well where legal.

If a bro drives by me on a prohibited road I won’t feel dumb. That’s the way the game goes.

I will feel dumb if a road is open, I walk it, and bros start driving by me when I could have drove myself.

Id honestly rather just walk, but if everyone else is driving, I feel I will be compelled to drive as well where legal.

I get it man.

There was an area on the iron range, MN i used to grouse hunt. It was a well know area with a lot of birds. It would get pounded with road hunters. I used to walk it...I would get birds they'd miss constantly. It made it kind of fun. 😁

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmor19534
Back