Montana General Season Structure Proposal

You have to come to grips though they will never be like there were “back in the day”. Those days are over. I’d personally make your goal to be “never again shall a mule deer do be shot on public land”. That’s an attainable goal that will make real change on the landscape.

If shortened October seasons make that big of change as everybody on here thinks, then you should all be applying to your neighboring States as all
Of them already have that and the hunting should be fantastic. But it isn’t.

Which ones?
I have come to grips that I will likely never see it like it was in the 80's again. Some people have to come to grips that if we do nothing, last year was better than 90% of the years in the future. Maybe no public land doe tags will be the magic bullet. Good first step at the least.

Last edited:
I don’t feel like I’m giving up a thing with this proposal with the current “opportunity” I’ve experience mule deer hunting the last 10-15 years. It’s hard to watch the mule deer bucks getting mowed down when they are in zombie mode. I’m still yet to hear a compelling argument against an October mule deer season. If we kill just as many bucks in October, who cares, at least it will be hunting and not shooting.
If we kill just as many bucks in Oct as in Nov that is a good thing. Will likely mean we are killing more older three points and fewer two year old four points. Good thing when it comes to CWD. Aso the the Oct season is not as much about the number of bucks killed and more about where those bucks are killed.

In my opinion, this strategy has not worked well for a long time. I do agree that the Montana experience is certainly like no other. Where else can you pound rutting forkies? But the idea that it is sustainable in the 21st century and synonymous with sound management is dubious at best. In all seriousness, what part of the current Montana mule deer experience are you afraid of losing if a proposal like this one were instituted?
I had the “Montana” experience two years ago in a low point third season colorado unit with the current Colorado season structure later dates. It felt like there was a shooter on every grassy knoll. Just about every buck that stepped out of the trees had lead flying at it. It’s just as unpleasurable in Colorado as it is in Montana. I won’t be going back until they ditch those late season dates.

Contrast that to 4 years earlier and earlier season dates. That was the best mule deer hunt I have ever experienced. This isn’t rocket science like some are trying to make it.

First, I have been hoping to get mule deer hunting out of November.....strongly support it.

I mentioned the importance of habitat needs earlier in this thread. Mule deer are a seral habitat species. Mule deer need disturbance in forested habitats. It can be logged or burned or both.

Having grown up hunting mule deer in the 50s in southern Idaho, we had lots of heavy antlered bucks with stickers that few people today would even believe was possible. Wish I had some pictures of those days.

That will never happen again, why? We have rifles shooting 700-1000 yards, better optics, Onx, more roads and easier access, ATVs, etc. I don't see FWP having the cojones to do anything about any of that.

Come to R6 or 7 November 10-30 and tell me a 5.5 week season spreads hunters out. The ease of rut hunting concentrates hunters, end of discussion.
This
On the Custer you might not even know hunting season had started if it wasn't for everyone with a bull or cow tag that is hunting opening week. The second week is down right peaceful. The third and forth the Custer gives off an orange glow. Pressure the last week depends, in the past if the weather sucked there was quite a few making a last ditch effort to fill tags, now though I think quit a few are so disappointed that they just say F it and spend the long weekend watching football.

This
On the Custer you might not even know hunting season had started if it wasn't for everyone with a bull or cow tag that is hunting opening week. The second week is down right peaceful. The third and forth the Custer gives off an orange glow. Pressure the last week depends, in the past if the weather sucked there was quite a few making a last ditch effort to fill tags, now though I think quit a few are so disappointed that they just say F it and spend the long weekend watching football.
Same with over here. First couple weekends it’s mostly locals. By 3rd weekend till thanksgiving weekend you can play the license plate game at cenex in the morning and evening. Inside cenex looks like a pumpkin patch and a Sitka bino harness commercial

This
I would have loved to had the experience hunting there in the 80s .

Having a 3 week general season and a LE late season in units could help. But tragically it seem units get put in LE after it’s to late.

And let’s be honest a proper week of “rest” rather than 5 days is achievable aswell

Last edited:
General mule deer season in October is a disaster recipe for General elk season.

I get the October theory for mule deer, no rut hunt. But the orange army will still kill all the bucks maybe 10 percent extra survive. But all that hunting pressure in October pushes the elk into private earlier.

Youth hunt should only be for whitetail or cow elk on private land only for elk. Pick your species kids. We are trying to protect the mule deer. Right

Another thing, limited entry does not mean 40 tags for the unit. Could be 1000. LE is the best management tool for fwp and wildlife. Actually manage them.

With that though, landowners should get x amount of tags gaurenteed to them. That's up for debate.

Another thing, limited entry does not mean 40 tags for the unit. Could be 1000. LE is the best management tool for fwp and wildlife. Actually manage them.

With that though, landowners should get x amount of tags gaurenteed to them. That's up for debate.

Gonna be something like @1300-1500 per unit to spread out 200K hunters. LE permits statewide would ensure that there’s going to be a lot of folks not hunting each year.

It’s crazy to me that some folks most critical of the proposal because of “loss of opportunity” are at the same time calling for LE state wide.🤷‍♂️

@Gerald Martin do you feel like the elk will be too vulnerable on private in october if there is late rut action?

Might be the only insightful comment i saw on facebook.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back