Montana Elk

Big O

Finally drew again for the big game combo after striking out the last 2 years. We traditionally hunt around Thompson Falls( makes for getting in alot of weekend trips). This year we plan on spending opening week hunting around Alder Montana. Anybody have any advice or tips about this area? We've heard there are alot of elk in that area but not sure about hunting pressure. Plan on doing a scouting trip end of August. Thanks for any help.

Depends on where you are going around Alder. There are several mountain ranges in that area..Rubys, Gravellys, Snowcrests, Greenhorns.. Could be anything from irrigated pivots to 9000' backpack type hunts. Some areas get a lot more pressure than others, obviously the farther in you get the less people you run into. There are also a few outfitters in that area.

Quite a few elk, lots of hunters. Personally I think its all about the same type hunting. Its all pretty much rolling hills, with black timber mixed in with huge open expanses. I've hunted that area and fished it a lot growing up, we killed a few elk but I just couldn't handle dealing with all the hunters so we rarely hunted it for any extened period of time.

I'd hunt the archery season over rifle, and would avoid opening week of rifle season, its an absolute zoo over there, but thins out by week 2 and 3. By week 4 and 5 you could be snowed out of most roads in the mountains.

Like Drake said get away from the roads and ATV trails and you'll see a lot fewer hunters and more elk. Not many big bulls in that area, not really anywhere for them to escape the pressure, but a few nice ones get shot from time to time. There is a lot of country to explore no doubt.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back