Losing 87 miles of refuge

I can also get awful close to mule deer in downtown Helena, but I think animal habituation in urban areas is simply a different thing than how wild animals behave. This comment strikes me as an apples to oranges comparison (I'm not saying you're wrong about what could happen, just that I don't think we can apply this golfcourse goose logic here either).

No matter what, this is a sticky wicket. And it's really interesting to see a local biologist fall on the opposite side of an issue from so many people (although not all) in the region. He clearly understands how tricky this is as well, given that he wrote his master's thesis on it 11 years ago.

I don't envy the work the commission has ahead of it on this one.
It will be entertaining to see how Cebull handles this one. His “increased opportunity for all” philosophy will conflict with his philosophy of making landowners and outfitters happy.

Commission amendment proposed for April agenda item​

HELENA – A proposed amendment for an item on the April 17 Fish and Wildlife Commission meeting agenda is available for public review and comment online. The commission will meet virtually April 17 at 8:30 a.m.

The amendment, proposed by Region 5 Commissioner Brian Cebull, would keep in place the restriction on waterfowl hunting on the 87-mile portion of the Yellowstone River between the confluence of the Bighorn and Yellowstone rivers to the Rosebud-Custer County line that has been in place since 1958.

This amends Fish, Wildlife & Parks’ recommendation to remove this closure in the the proposed 2024-2025 Migratory Bird Regulations.

To see the proposed amendment, click here. Other commission amendments may be announced prior to the April 17 meeting. To see the topics the commission will consider, click here.

Comments on commission amendments can be emailed to the commission at this address: [email protected]. Written comments on this amendment will be accepted through April 15; comments will also be taken virtually during the meeting. To register to comment, click here.

I need a reminder to submit a comment after work.

Last edited:
Back