Caribou Gear Tarp

Landowner preference (voucher) proposed changes

Oak

Expert
A bill will be introduced in the Colorado legislature in the near future which will propose several changes to the Landowner Preference System (landowner vouchers). Ivan James of the Colorado Bowhunter's Association sat on the committee that created the recommendations, and he has created a Powerpoint presentation which outlines those proposed changes. It is posted on the CBA website at the following link. There is both a narrated PPT and one with no narration, the later being a much smaller file to download:

CBA website

After reviewing the presentation, I have several concerns with the proposal. Obviously the greatest concern is that landowner vouchers will increase 33% in the western half of the state and 66% in the eastern half. But more importantly, it seems that there was flawed logic used to justify the increases west of I-25.

Below are some notes I wrote down after watching the presentation. I hope that Colorado hunters stay engaged on this issue. When the bill is introduced, things will likely move very quickly. The bill has the full support of and is being pushed by Rick Cables, the Director of CPW. It will take an outstanding effort by sportsmen to have much chance of changing the course of this bill.

Proposed changes west of I-25 include increasing landowner vouchers by 33% and then making half of all vouchers PLO. I am curious how allocation of unit-wide versus PLO voucher will occur. Will there be two separate hunt codes for each hunt? If so, it would seem likely that the vast majority of applications in the initial draw will be for unit-wide vouchers, and the PLO vouchers will be drawn in the leftover draw.

Under “Other proposed changes,” it says that landowners will now be limited to 3x the leftover applications in the leftover draw as they qualify for in the regular draw. I don’t understand why they are allowed any more applications than in the initial draw? It seems to me that if a landowner qualifies for X amount of vouchers in the initial draw, then they should not be allowed to apply for and draw more than that number of vouchers. If there are more vouchers available than there are landowners with qualifying properties applying, then those voucher licenses should be returned to the regular leftover draw. This is also a strong argument against increasing the percentage of vouchers from 15% to 20%.

Another proposal says that “a landowner organization” will set up a voucher website to help landowners market their vouchers. If marketing has been such an issue in the past, I’m not sure why this hasn’t already been done. I am curious who will be footing the bill for developing and maintaining the website? It certainly should not be CPW with sportsman’s dollars.

Under “Other considerations,” it is noted that vouchers help to increase landowner tolerance for big game populations, and that it would take only a 6% increase in tolerance to offset the “cost” to sportsmen of increasing the voucher percentage. This idea is misleading at best. The greatest “tolerance” issues are with elk and pronghorn, but the vouchers are largely a DEER issue. The vast majority of elk units in the state are OTC, and therefore have no vouchers. The limited entry elk units are largely public land, where tolerance is not an issue or a limiting factor. Pronghorn are simply not a money-maker for landowners, because pronghorn are cheap and easily available in Wyoming, where quality is also better.

Deer, on the other hand, are where the money is at for landowners, because deer tags are limited statewide. Unfortunately, tolerance is largely not the issue when it comes to deer populations. The Powerpoint presentation even excludes deer in the “anticipated outcomes” section, saying “possible larger elk and pronghorn herds.” The sad fact is that the issues plaguing our deer herds in Colorado are not going to be solved by increasing the tolerance of landowners to the presence of deer. Between 2006 and 2011, CPW has decreased the mule deer herd OBJECTIVE west of I-25 from 583,870 to 511,300.

Deer tags issued west of I-25 have decreased from 99,296 in 2007 to 49,334 in 2012. Although there are a couple of isolated examples of tolerance being cited by CPW as a contributing factor to reduced objectives, the primary reasons are loss and fragmentation of habitat due to energy development and housing/urban development, and decreased quality of remaining habitat. Landowner tolerance is generally an issue created by poor habitat conditions on public land. Increasing vouchers to appease landowners is like putting a can of Fix-a-flat in a tire. It might work in the short term, but it doesn’t address the real issues. Remember that the 50% reduction in deer tags between 2007 and 2012 has also reduced vouchers by 50%. It’s no wonder landowners want a bigger slice of the pie.

Under “Anticipated outcomes,” the presentation lists “may be additional point creep.” I’m not sure where the uncertainty comes with this statement. There will undoubtedly be additional point creep if you take a greater percentage of tags from the public draw and give them to landowners, with no provision for losing preference points when a voucher is used.

These are just a handful of thoughts that came to mind after watching the presentation. I hope that all of you give it some serious thought and make your feelings known. The bill to change the landowner preference system will be introduced soon, and hunters need to engage the process early and often if you don’t like the proposal.

Under “Anticipated outcomes,” the presentation lists “may be additional point creep.” I’m not sure where the uncertainty comes with this statement. There will undoubtedly be additional point creep if you take a greater percentage of tags from the public draw and give them to landowners, with no provision for losing preference points when a voucher is used.

There will be huge point creep in the elk units 2,10,201. The hybrid draw has already added a year or so to the point creep. Just guessing, I'd say this proposal will add another minimum of 1.5 to 2 years point creep.

Once Pandora's box is opened it's almost impossible to close.

Put in for a job in Montana and move up here. Your welcome anytime.

You see why I am using up all my PP's with a good tag this year and then burning the rest next year for Deer/Elk/Antelope. Time to get rid of them, my days of stressing over the CO pref. point system by building pts will be over and I will never be going back to that. Too many good resident tags now that you can get with 1-2 points and with some scouting and little work are just as good as the so called premium units now.

Too many good resident tags now that you can get with 1-2 points and with some scouting and little work are just as good as the so called premium units now.

I hear a lot of people saying that but have you ever been in Moffat County the last week of September?:eek:

An interesting thing happens when you do the math on tag allocations in the very best elk units in the state under the proposed changes. For 5 of the premium units non-residents would lose zero tags, while residents would lose a total of 8 tags.

And yes, in 2012, 15 of 24 landowner vouchers for unit 76 archery were drawn in the landowner leftover draw. Those tags take residents 6 points to guarantee, and non-residents 11 points to guarantee, in the regular draw. And yet, we see fit to give landowners another 8 of those tags under the proposed changes.

Proposedtagallocation_zpseb1b82fa.jpg

An interesting thing happens when you do the math on tag allocations in the very best elk units in the state under the proposed changes. For 5 of the premium units non-residents would lose zero tags, while residents would lose a total of 8 tags.

And yes, in 2012, 15 of 24 landowner vouchers for unit 76 archery were drawn in the landowner leftover draw. Those tags take residents 6 points to guarantee, and non-residents 11 points to guarantee, in the regular draw. And yet, we see fit to give landowners another 8 of those tags under the proposed changes.

Proposedtagallocation_zpseb1b82fa.jpg

32 tags gone! That is more painful than I imagined. And that chart does not include several high demand archery/muzzy hunts.

WoW! 32 tags at lets say a average of $5000 a voucher is another $160,000 in the pockets of Colorado land owners. For a STATE own resource!

It is the Kings Deer again..........................

And don't get me started on high demand Unc, Douglas, Gunny or Eagle deer tags. Why does Cables support this again?

Anyone who is willing to be involved in fighting this proposal, please email me your contact information at the following email address (even if you have my regular address...want to keep everything together). Name and phone number would be great. Thanks.

voucher (dot) proposal at gmail (dot) com

This is exactly why states that do not already have landowner tags must not let them get their foot in the door. Once there is a system for these tags they are always going to want more and more.

I spent way more time than I really should have on Thursday and crunched the numbers.

In 2012, the landowner voucher quota for buck and either sex deer, west of I-25 only, was 7,939. Under the new proposal, landowners would be entitled to 10,736 vouchers. This is slightly more than an additional 5%, due to rounding down of the 15% quota vs the 20% quota. Landowners stand to gain nearly 2,800 deer vouchers west of I-25, with no provision for the purchasers of those vouchers to lose their preference points. What kind of effect do you think that will have on preference point creep?

Anyone who is willing to be involved in fighting this proposal, please email me your contact information at the following email address (even if you have my regular address...want to keep everything together). Name and phone number would be great. Thanks.

voucher (dot) proposal at gmail (dot) com

Anyone concerned about point creep in Colorado ought to be listening to Oak and helping him out. You have my email address, Oak.

Thanks Randy.

The bill has been introduced (SB13-188) and assigned to the Agriculture, Natural Resources and Energy committee. It has been calendared for this Thursday. Here is a link to the bill:

SB13-188

This bill will afffect ANYONE who ever plans to hunt deer in Colorado after this year. If you are willing to take 10 minutes of your time to write an email opposing this bill, please do so.

The committee members and their contact info is below:

Sen. Gail Schwartz (co-sponsor)
Phone: 303-866-4871
[email protected]

Sen. Greg Brophy
Phone: 303-866-6360
[email protected]

Sen. Angela Giron
Phone: 303-866-4878
[email protected]

Sen. Ted Harvey
Phone: 303-866-4881
[email protected]

Sen. Matt Jones
Phone: 303-866-5291
[email protected]

Bill sponsors not on the committee:

Sen. Lois Tochtrop
Phone: 303-866-4863
[email protected]

Rep. Ed Vigil
Phone: 303-866-2916
[email protected]

Thanks Randy.

The bill has been introduced (SB13-188) and assigned to the Agriculture, Natural Resources and Energy committee. It has been calendared for this Thursday. Here is a link to the bill:

SB13-188

This bill will afffect ANYONE who ever plans to hunt deer in Colorado after this year. If you are willing to take 10 minutes of your time to write an email opposing this bill, please do so.

The committee members and their contact info is below:

Sen. Gail Schwartz (co-sponsor)
Phone: 303-866-4871
[email protected]

Sen. Greg Brophy
Phone: 303-866-6360
[email protected]

Sen. Angela Giron
Phone: 303-866-4878
[email protected]

Sen. Ted Harvey
Phone: 303-866-4881
[email protected]

Sen. Matt Jones
Phone: 303-866-5291
[email protected]

Bill sponsors not on the committee:

Sen. Lois Tochtrop
Phone: 303-866-4863
[email protected]

Rep. Ed Vigil
Phone: 303-866-2916
[email protected]

Emails sent

DONE!
............i got crap from a certain someone for pointing fingers regarding this issue i believe???? and pointing out the CDOW is pulling the wool, selling off tags and stealing our hunting privileges!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bo.mooneyham
Back