Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Landowner Gift Backfired ???

Trigger50

I just had a 1st ! I gave a landowner a gift(-$100) of appreciation for giving me access to hunt and it seemed to have backfired on me. He got upset about my gift offering? The only thing i can figure out is maybe accepting the gift makes him feel obligated to grant me access in the future. I cant figure this out. Never had this happen before in 20+ yrs of hunting. Has this ever happened to you?

Being in my lower 30's, and having been around "old fashioned" land owners in small country towns with acres behind them, the only thing that I thought about right off was that they don't "want" monetary gifts. A simple thank you, a hand shake, and offering any kind of help seems to get them in the right place. Perhaps he was hoping for some back strap instead? Ha ha! That does make one feel uncomfortable though. What is your plan to hopefully make this situation better?

I've taken the land owner where I goose hunt geese for his Christmas dinner in the past and venison. He is up there in age and doesn't hunt, so the game meat seemed to make him happy. I hope it brought back some memories of his own hunts while he dined. Hope all works out for you.

He got upset and said that it wasnt part of the agreement in an unfriendly tone of voice. He just said we could duck hunt for free. He let us waterfowl hunt after deer season. This was the 1st time we asked him. We had a great mallard shoot. He deer hunts the land so i got him a new grunt tube and a nice pair of wool socks. Idk, maybe he was alittle lit when i stopped by with the gift.

That's strange. But I've found, farmers/ranchers are often a strange lot. I think it takes a special type to live in remote areas. Or maybe it creates a special type. I don't know. But I've met some odd ones.

If you like the land enough, attempt a/another response that you meant no disrespect. If received in the same manner, move on. I often provide a thank you gift (usually some smoked meats or such) and have yet to be greeted with resistance.

For me it depends on the landowner. One likes a 1/2 gallon of Rum, one likes venison sausage, one likes gift cards to local restaurants, another likes me to release and prune wild apple trees on the property, etc. When speaking with the landowner, figure out what he likes.

I've never had one get angry. I have had them say its not necessary or the like, but never has there been a tone. I make sure to gift all my landowners every year around $35. Each one likes something different. The elderly lady who owns my turkey spot gets flowers twice a year from me. And a long visit, her kids live far away. She looks forward to it like I do hunting her place.

We used to give one land owner some deer summer sausage. He liked it so much that he would start cutting into it right when we handed it to him. Even though it was still frozen.

Jerky, summer sausage, whiskey-the list goes on. I always try to make it clear that I do not take the access for granted. Most of my access is on land owned by friends, anyway.

Some jerky and summer sausage went a long way with a Wyoming rancher this year and made some little boys very happy. I was not looking for access, but ended up with that and a history lesson on the ranch. That was worth more than the dumb elk in my book (and I did get the elk, too!).

I've never had one get angry. I have had them say its not necessary or the like, but never has there been a tone. I make sure to gift all my landowners every year around $35. Each one likes something different. The elderly lady who owns my turkey spot gets flowers twice a year from me. And a long visit, her kids live far away. She looks forward to it like I do hunting her place.

That's awesome! Good stuff.

I do different things but none involve gift certificates or money. I have a group of ranchers that all seem to like crown real well, normally a holiday pack that has something a little different in it. They almost always insist I crack the bottle with them though. When we pheasant hunt typically the week before Thanksgiving I take butterball turkeys to give away and they always very much look forward to that. I have given away boxes of jersey gloves, if I catch hem in the field I always bring them a coke or something that way they typically will take a break to talk while we drink a pop.

It is difficult to know, the people that allow me to hunt could very easily lease out their land so I know they don't allow me to hunt for the money so I do try and keep the gifts on the smaller side and not imply any possible payment.

Also, I think I would go back and say hey I really hope I didn't offend you I was just so grateful for your hospitality I wanted to do something nice for you in kind and the last thing I wanted to do was offend you I am so sorry.

I usually bring a bottle of good whiskey. crown royal or gentleman jack. i also have a very good coffee supplier so if they're not a drinker I bring the top shelf coffee beans. Haven't met one yet that doesn't drink coffee. or dislike the coffee beans.
Even had a few ask for more coffee during the off season.

I could see where offering a gift certificate might make things awkward.

Funny I read this now, I'm writing a thank you card to a landowner right now to accompany a gift card to their favorite restaurant, bunch of summer sausage and a few bags of walleye fillets. I do this a couple times a year for them.

They always seem to appreciate it.

Giving someone a gift of a bottle of booze or something similar is one thing but sometimes giving someone cash can be taken the wrong way. To a proud individual it can be seen as pity or a hand out. I know just by you writing this post you never meant it to be anything like that but that is maybe how the land owner felt. Just a thought.

Watching my dad through the years, he almost always brought food gifts in thanks for the access. He was famous for being able to pick out the best watermelon in the store, and nearly always brought a nice ham for the ranchers. As a veterinarian, he also offered to look at any critter that might have been ailing.

My most recent token of appreciation was a framed photo of a special piece of history that sits on the land to which I have been generously granted access.

Back