MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

.54 caliber patched round ball elk load?

Never have heard of a patched round ball, pure lead, fragmenting due to excessive velocity. Not much in the way of expansion happening, either, though the ball will deform particularly if it hits bone. I can always be wrong (in fact, am practiced at it), but I don't think I am in this case. Using my 36" barrel, .50 caliber rifle, I hunted with 140grains. Almost without exception the ball would be found, deformed but not "expanded" under the hide on the far side of the critter.

At 100 grains in a GPR, there is about zero chance of getting to 2000fps. Barrel length is key - velocity will top out at the point all the powder burns just before the ball exits. More, and you just make fire out of the muzzle. But in the 32" bbl GPR, one should be able to work above 100 grains before just blowing powder out of the barrel. I don't think you can find any data, published or from a buddy at the range, that will show a .54 at 2000fps out of that GPR barrel. You are correct that 2000 is a hell of a lot for a .54, because it just ain't gonna happen in that rifle with 100 grains of powder.

David
NM
My Flintlock with 42" barrel and 100 gr of 1.5 fg will. That's a longer barrel, but also a flinter with a gaping flash hole and MUCH coarser and slower powder.

I bought a 50cal Great Plains Hunter this week. 1:32 twist. I'm going to try to work up a load with 385gr Great plains bullets.
I'll probably start somewhere in the 80gr range and work up from there.
Does anyone have any experience with these rifles?
I hope you have a good recoil pad. Those 385 grain bullets push back. Ima wimp.

David
NM

My Flintlock with 42" barrel and 100 gr of 1.5 fg will. That's a longer barrel, but also a flinter with a gaping flash hole and MUCH coarser and slower powder.
Your rifle is what we would probably call an "anomaly" particularly if you compare with the values above.

David
NM

... Stop looking at modern day numbers, that shit was made for modern day bullets that need a certain amount of energy to work properly. AKA, copper jacketed, hard lead bullets.

A ball thats almost 9/16" of an inch, is going to cause a ton of damage.

My first muzzleloader elk I took with 80gr Pyrodex RS, .530" round ball, 140 yards, single shot through the lungs.

This bull, 70gr 3fg, .490 round ball, both lungs destroyed, a full exit.

entrance

exit

And besides... Can you really believe this chart? A .530 ball weights 223-224 grains... A .535 should be in a 230gr range, yet they are stating 220..... those numbers do not match.

I've hunted and guided elk every year for the last 30 years. I've managed to kill 5 with a 54 cal CVA mountain rifle my most accurate load is a .535 prb w/ .12 pt patch and a lubed felt over powder wad seated on 95 grns of 3f. All one shot kills all between 40-120 yards. None dropped on the spot but none went more than about 50 yards and all bled well. Probably died in seconds. Confidence and accurate shooting kill elk. Round balls are a weird anomaly when it comes to terminal performance. They shouldn't be as accurate as they are or kill as well as they do but it works.

... Stop looking at modern day numbers, that shit was made for modern day bullets that need a certain amount of energy to work properly. AKA, copper jacketed, hard lead bullets.

A ball thats almost 9/16" of an inch, is going to cause a ton of damage.

My first muzzleloader elk I took with 80gr Pyrodex RS, .530" round ball, 140 yards, single shot through the lungs.

This bull, 70gr 3fg, .490 round ball, both lungs destroyed, a full exit.

entrance

exit
Great shooting and some luck. You missed ribs in-&-out, that's a textbook round ball shot for elk.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back