Kodiak Sitkas

Awesome pics, congrats Oak. Man those deer look like fat little bastards. That first buck is a total stud just beacause of all the character.

IB- Don't know anymore than which call they use. IIRC they like to chew on the mouth pieces a bit to get the sound they like. Also, the buck my pard shot was 92" gross. I think mine was in the low 80's if I remember right. I'm hoping mtmiller will keep me honest on those numbers.
BOY's buck
sfirstSitkablacktail-LastDay4.jpg

My buck
MyfirstSitkaBlacktail-Day42.jpg

Oak- Those are some great pics!

Nice pictures and a great hunt story.

They took ya in with a Beaver, and picked you up in a 185 (maybe a 206) guess they knew you'd only get one each. :)

1-pointer - Thanks for the scores. That will help.

Oak - Thanks for the scores on your buck. Anyone of the those bucks will be just fine for me.

AKBearHunter, we flew with Andrew Air.

BW and Muskeg, the 206 couldn't take off in the lake we wanted to be dropped in, so we payed for the Beaver. We only bought two deer tags each, so knew we could stay under the weight limit for the 206 coming out, as we were picked up in a bay. We only had 118 pounds of gear going in, including rifles.

Oak,

Gotta watch out for us Alaskan dudes, we're known to be assholes. ;)

I've had the same thing happen to me... beaver in, 185 out... whatever works and is cheapest is best.

You guys done good!

Finally, we're scheduled to leave early on the third morning. We get to the dock and a young kid is loading gear into the plane. Then he introduces himself as our pilot. He turned out to be a good guy and great pilot. He'd just turned 23 and has had his pilot's license since he was 17.

We flew out with the Same KID I think. He got lost flying to our boat location and took 2 tries to getto the back of the boat. Hearing about all the wind issues we were a little nervouse to say the least. But we're out :)

That dock looks familiar too :D

Moosie said:
We flew out with the Same KID I think. He got lost flying to our boat location and took 2 tries to getto the back of the boat.

I'm curious to hear about how "lost" you were? Those fancy Garmins they have in those planes make it seem like it would be just about impossible to get lost unless it stopped working.

The First Pilot told the Kid to meet them at the place they were at last time in Olga bay. then said the name of the point. The kid was 10 mins behind the first pilot. He flew right over the boat, and the other plane was attached to the boat. 10 mins later he Called from the "cannery" over the radio asking where we were. Captian Rick told him and it went something like this. "Uhhh, didn't you see a 60' boat with a plane behind it when you flew over ", Kid says "Yes, I saw it", Rick says "That was us !!". Kid says "Ohh I must have missed you, don't tell anyone I missed the boat". We were all standing there listening in. Kind of funny.

Heading back he did have the GPS and we made it straight back. no problem. Except for the Bumps and Air turbulance. That part sucked.

Here's a good younger pilot bush plane story from my B. C. hunt. We loaded up near Smithers, gear, food, another hunter, a guide, a 300+ pound camp cook and myself. There was a strong head wind going in so we had to stop for fuel at a lake where they stash some gas for such circumstances. Coming into the lake we where fairly out of control, barely making it over the top of a rocky penninsula that juts out into the lake. While floating into the dock the guide say's in a dead pan voice, "nice body english Simon"! Guess he was trying to stear the plane with his hips! I was too busy watching the fast approaching trees and rocks on the pennisula to notice. Then when we got to the dock, the planes owner, an older less bolder pilot say's to the cook, "you, big guy, get out of the plane. I'll fly you in later". Bet there was an ass chewing later on over that one.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back