Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Kodiak Sitkas

Oak

Expert
Well, we're back from a fun, eventful, and very educational trip to Kodiak for blacktails. First lesson learned: don't go to Alaska on a tight schedule. There was a freezing drizzle when we arrived in Kodiak, but we were pumped to see blue skies when we woke up the next morning and did last minute preparations before being picked up by our air transporter. We get the call from them: weather hold due to high winds. Long story a little shorter, this was the situation for our first two "hunting" days, of five scheduled. We got to know Kodiak pretty well. I'd recommend Henry's if you're looking for good food next time you're there.

Finally, we're scheduled to leave early on the third morning. We get to the dock and a young kid is loading gear into the plane. Then he introduces himself as our pilot. He turned out to be a good guy and great pilot. He'd just turned 23 and has had his pilot's license since he was 17.

Loading up:
Kodiak1.jpg

The flight out:

Kodiak2.jpg

Alone at last, for three whole days:rolleyes: :

Kodiak3.jpg

We had to shorten our original backpack route we'd planned in advance. We filled up our water bottles at the lake, and as I put on my pack I looked down the drainage and pointed: bear. That didn't take long! The first day we hunted away from the dropoff point and our eventual pickup point. We saw lots of good bucks the first day, including the best 4-5 bucks we saw the entire trip. We passed them all up looking for something a little better. The best buck passed was a small 4x4 with eye guards. In hindsight, maybe we should have shot him, but live and learn. We saw one other bear that day, and one caribou (reindeer if you're a local).

The country:

Kodiak4.jpg

First night's camp:

Kodiak5.jpg

The second morning we hunted back towards our dropoff point. Lots more deer were seen, but nothing as good as the first day. We kept our eye out for a particular buck we had passed the first day which seemed to have very heavy bases and extra eye guards. We spotted him around 1pm and Doug decided he was too good to pass. He turned out to have more character than we thought.

Doug's buck:

Kodiak6.jpg

Kodiak7.jpg

After caping and boning out Doug's deer, we decided to make some tracks towards our pickup location. The weather was turning, and by the time we found a camping spot it was beginning to blow and spit rain. An hour and a half after we went to bed, the rain fly just about got blown off the tent. We were getting pounded by 30-40mph gusts of wind and rain. This went on all night. The tent actually held up remarkably well after a couple forays outside in the middle of the night to rock down the stakes. By morning the wind had let up a little bit and it was just raining off and on. The deer were moving very little. This was our last day to hunt, and I was beginning to think I was going to go home emptyhanded. I had already decided I wasn't going to shoot any old forkhorn just to take something home.

Crummy weather:

Kodiak8.jpg

Kodiak9.jpg

As we got to the location we were going to drop off the ridge and down to the spot on the bay we were to be picked up the next morning, we classed the last drainage on the opposite side of the ridge. I spotted an average 3-point about 300 yards down the ridge from us and decided that with less than 4 hours left to hunt, he was good enough.

My buck:

Kodiak10.jpg

Let me tell you a little secret about these deer: they are FAT!!! We were literally cutting 2-inch thick slabs of fat off the hind quarters to lighten the loads a little bit. Their size is deceiving as well. We got 51 pounds of boned meat off of mine and 48 off of Doug's. Our pack loads down to the beach just about crippled us.

We waited near the beach the next morning for our ride and watched the sun come up:

Kodiak11.jpg

The ride arrived on time:

Kodiak12.jpg

The flight back to Kodiak:

Kodiak13.jpg

I learned a lot on this trip. Things didn't go quite as planned, but we still had a great time. If (when) we do it again, we'll do things a little differently. Most importantly, we'll plan a longer stay.

NICE !!!!

HEy did you guys only have one tag each ?
Did you know when I went to King Salmon I bought that Exact hatt / DID you buy it in AK ?
Did you use a Spotting scope ?
were the Bucks real Spooky ? Meaning would a Guy have a Bow chance at them ?

Dougs Buck has Super duper character !!! that would be a SUPER BUCK for me if I get a Chance at one like that, Your buck looks like a Dang nice buck too !!!

Good job Oak. congrats on the blacktail. Yeah the weather up here can catch you off guard. Sounds like a hell of a hunt reguardless.

Moosie said:
NICE !!!!

HEy did you guys only have one tag each ?
Did you know when I went to King Salmon I bought that Exact hatt / DID you buy it in AK ?
Did you use a Spotting scope ?
were the Bucks real Spooky ? Meaning would a Guy have a Bow chance at them ?

Dougs Buck has Super duper character !!! that would be a SUPER BUCK for me if I get a Chance at one like that, Your buck looks like a Dang nice buck too !!!

Moosie, we had two tags each. The original plan was to backpack and shoot one deer each, then head to the pickup spot and hunt for another deer each there. Since the trip was cut short, we really didn't have time to do that.

I've had the hat for a long time.

We definately used a spotting scope. It saved a lot of time that might have been spent chasing small bucks.

The deer we saw the first two days were not nearly as spooky as the ones we saw the last day. That's likely because they were much farther away from the ocean, and the places most people hunt. I think a guy might have a chance with a bow, but he better be on a long hunt. We never got very close to any deer, but we weren't trying. The country we were hunting was pretty open.

Looks like an awesome trip! I didn't know that there was such as thing as a 'quick' trip to AK.

Oak,

Awesome hunt bud and congrats on your Deer. They both look great. If I get the chance I'm putting an arrow in either of those bucks. Your starting to scare me about my decision to take only my bow. Ihave a few questions if you don't mind.

1 - Were they starting to rut at all and/or did you hear them grunting?

2 - Any bear encounters?

3 - Average amount of deer seen a day? bucks?

4 - What part of the island did you hunt? We will be in Olga Bay.

5 - Did you see any other hunters?

6 - How much weight were you allowed on the plan?

7 - What type of clothing did you use?

8 - What type of boots?

Sorry dude for all the questions just hoping to get some last minute info. Maybe Poosie and I can call you and talk more about the trip if you don't mind.

Thanks,

Great pics and narration as well Oak...Thanks! That is on my near future (otherwise know as...while the geezer still has legs) to do list. Enough people on this board have been/are going that I'll be doing some very serious mind picking in the near future!

Congrats again and thanks for the share!

Great recount. The weather in AK and more specifically Kodiak can be just brutal. For a whirlwind trip, you guys saw a lot of game and did pretty well. Congrats.

NICE!!!! Those chubby little bastids are fun to chase!

IB- Don't know if it helps, but on another site some folks SWEAR by calling in bucks with a K'Mere deer call. FYI.

Oak said:
I learned a lot on this trip. Things didn't go quite as planned, but we still had a great time. If (when) we do it again, we'll do things a little differently. Most importantly, we'll plan a longer stay.

Hiya Oak!

I've been checking the forum all week anxious to hear about your trip. What an adventure you fellows must have had. Those are some very handsome deer, I like those down swept ears, congratulations to both of you. What portions of the head and hide did you carry out and what do you plan do with them? Also, I've been curious about any bear encounters you might have had, especially after field dressing and packing the meat.

It looks like you guys covered some ground, some of it pretty steep and rugged. The photo of the "Crummy weather" is typical of what I encountered on my trips to Alaska, just another day "in the country".

Your account of the hunt and the excellent photos are terrific, just the sort of thing I like to see in a good hunting forum. Thanks,

Hummer

Congrats on the deer. You are in for a reat treat too once you light the BBQ up. Nice job with the pics. That Carhart hat is a popular one in AK. Here is mine.

jim3copy.sized.jpg

Thanks for all the congrats, guys. And welcome to a good friend of mine, Hummer, who lives just down the road from me. Good to see you here! To answer your questions, we packed out capes and skull caps from each buck. I'll probably have a shoulder mount of mine done. Although he's not trophy size, he's a trophy to me and a great reminder of the adventure. We de-boned the deer, let them cool, and packed the meat in plastic bags to keep down odor. At night we stashed our food and meat (separately) under tarps a couple hundred yards from where we camped. We only saw two bears...both before we killed deer and both at least 3/4-mile away.

I answered Bryce's questions on the phone tonight.

1_pointer, we actually had Lohman bleat deer calls on the hunt (Bryce, I forgot to tell you this). They definately got the deer's attention, and we had one doe run all the way up the hill to us. We actually used them very little. I wish we would have tried them a little more, but we were leery of creating bear problems for ourselves. Doug's buck was running away and I blew the deer call and stopped him in his tracks at about 250 yards, right before he bailed off into a brush patch. It was a bad mistake on his part.

Oak,

Good talking to you last night. Thanks for the info. Can you give me some measurements on your deer? Main beam, circumferences, length of tines. I'm trying to get a ruff idea what a 75" buck will be (minimum for P&Y). I'll throw out some guesses on your buck. Main beams 14-15", G1 - ??, G2 - 6", G4 - 2.5", 22-23" of total mass, inside of 11" for a very ruff estimate of 79-82". Translation if I can get close enough to a buck like that an arrow is going to be flying threw his lungs.

1_pointer said:
NICE!!!! Those chubby little bastids are fun to chase!

IB- Don't know if it helps, but on another site some folks SWEAR by calling in bucks with a K'Mere deer call. FYI.
Thanks pointer I did see that in another forum. I went out and bought one I just wish I knew the tone and length to use.

Oak,
Congrats, both of those bucks are very nice and definetly above average. If you saw a 4x4 with eyegaurds you should have shot it. They are pretty rare even in good years and this isn't a good year. Also glad to see you put the packs on and got up off the beach. That's the only way to hunt them in my opinion.
The F&G guys say if you plan to have the meat in one place for more than 3-4 days you can expect to have bear problems.

Back