Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Knife sharpening

I would love to hear about your knife sharpening technics, struggles, equipment, lessons learned, etc.

I’ve tried for years to get my two sons to learn how to sharpen a knife. The best way to learn is on an Arkansas stone, buy a cheap knife, screw it up learn what works. The angle comes naturally once you find the sweet spot. Nothing like a mistake in your learning to make you better. I’ll take a stone with oil over any sharpening system. Just my opinion.

I’ve tried for years to get my two sons to learn how to sharpen a knife. The best way to learn is on an Arkansas stone, buy a cheap knife, screw it up learn what works. The angle comes naturally once you find the sweet spot. Nothing like a mistake in your learning to make you better. I’ll take a stone with oil over any sharpening system. Just my opinion.
Great reality.

Honestly though, I have seen divergent views on what the oil is for and how it is used. (It is "honing" oil after all). What's your take on it?

Great reality.

Honestly though, I have seen divergent views on what the oil is for and how it is used. (It is "honing" oil after all). What's your take on it?

I’m not real sure, but this is the technique I like to use. It feels like I’m still in the time when my dad and grandpa were telling stories and taking care of their working tools. I use what works for me from a time I remember as a kid. (That was forever ago). It not precise, but very effective. I can get a knife sharp in a few strokes on the stone while in the middle of skinning an animal. Not having to set up a system to to sharpen a knife.

Great reality.

I use this. Its works great. As far as removing too much metal, I am not concerned. If my knife wears out, I throw it in the trash and grab another.

Great information in this thread.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love some suggestions... I don't have enough posts to PM you though...

I have the cheap, knock-off version of the Lansky (bought it years ago) and have only just now started sharpening. I found videos from Grey Beard Green Beret and CoalCracker fairly informative.
Glad to help you out. I shot you a PM so since it came from me you should be able to respond. I gave you my email address so we can talk and I can help you out.
David

Haven’t struggled since I got the
Lansky system and touching up with a good honing steel. Before that, I got pretty good at using an Arkansas stone. For convex ground knives, I use sandpaper on a mouse pad or phone book plus a strop.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back