Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Intro for a 12 y/o to hunting.

Sytes

I've become involved with a 12 year old (young) and in her eagerness to associate herself with my activities, she has shared interest in the outdoors and specifically, hunting.

The deal is, she has not experienced the world of hunting nor been associated with such through friends or family. She is a tough cookie... most of the time. She has her own kayak that she enjoys and is far from a "sissy" towards cold water, etc. She likes the outdoors so long as it does not veer too much from the play world revolving around her though she does like to help out. I've taken her fishing once without success and she had a blast!

She is a kid after all and has many epic "kid" moments though I am new to this and this is where the request for help rests... I imagine my actions are the corner stone towards the presentation of hunting that will decide whether it is something she would enjoy or bambi despise! I am comfortable with her deciding one way or the other, I would like to know how to best present hunting to a young kid.

How do I introduce her to this world we so much enjoy? I'll leave this a broad question.

Enroll her in a Hunter Education class attended by some of her classmates and/or friends. Go with her and talk about what was learned each session. Hopefully that will get her interested and educated, as well as qualified to be licensed, Then it's off to the range with bow or rifle and let the fun begin.

Take her hiking or plinking in the woods. Small game hunting or looking for morels. Try and get her caught up in the beauty and solitude of the places we love. The places without wifi or cell service.

I have three girls, my middle daughter is 12, all three love to shoot their bows. They shoot a winter league in town and love to shoot 3d shoots in the summer. My oldest (15 yrs. old) hunts,but the 12 year old hasn't shown a ton of interest. She's more of an athlete, but she loves archery and I can still get her in the boat once in awhile.

The other night on the way home from practice she said you know dad, my most favorite time of the year is when we hunt for wild asparagus, because we spend alot of time together then.

I thought that was pretty neat. The verdict is still out on the 7 year old, but she loves to fish and shoot her bow so there's hope.

Good luck with her.

Might even start with a bb gun shooting at paper targets then pop cans, etc. No recoil. Can learn about iron sights then about a scope on some of the more powerful pellet guns. Can even shoot in basement or garage with a proper backstop and safety precautions.

Some people like hiking and like punching holes in paper though are not gung ho for spilling blood. That is okay. Lots of ways to be active and spend time coaching and mentoring, in any event.

I would suggest you consider physical comfort and keep the activities to short bursts of time to start. Kids generally hate to be too cold/hot, which describes a majority of outdoors activity. They also have a relatively shirt attention span, so sitting in a blind for hours on end would tend to sap their initial enthusiasm.

Setting up a short 22 target range to get her used to the feel and noise associated with firearms is a cheap and simple way to start. Start really close range so that there is early success in hitting paper.

Already tons of good stuff. Appreciate it guys! :)

I like the hunter ed and range shooting. I believe she has a bow and we have a .17 to start off with. Short range success targets sound ideal!

From the time my kids were about 5 years old they each got a day in the woods with dad during bow season. We would sit behind a pile of sticks for a blind or in a double wide stand, and watch the squirrels and birds and eat gummy worms on almost every trip. We giggled a lot and rarely saw deer but that was just fine. It gave them the experience on a nice day and they got to spend a couple hours with just dad. That's important. Even though you aren't dad, you will be a bigger influence in her life than you imagine. Hopefully she will look to other boys in her life to live up to your standards. I applaud you for taking the time and effort to make a difference in her life!

Is it possible to take her on a hunt with you. Any type of slam dunk hunt you can do? My wife hunts with me 85% of the time so our girls are always with us. Our most successful easy hunts are wyoming antelope. Our girls love it. Our 8 year olds favorite part is actually cleaning and skinning game. She loves to look at bones and how they all connect to each other. Our 5 year old enjoys seeing them alive and running-not to sure about dead animals yet which is fine.

I think if there is a big game/bird hunt you can take her on that is easy and displays excitement may be key in the development of her hunting hobby.

good luck.

Keep it fun for her. Took my 5 year old bow hunting Saturday nite he brought his bow and although we didn't see deer we had a blast. He brought his leapster with headphones to help pass the time. We had a deal if a squirrel came within 20 yards he could shoot at it, I think they had nothing to worry about but he was excited. I have 3 boys from 13 to 5 and the oldest loves to hunt and play sports, he is sometimes dissapointed when sports interfers but I have been taking him since he was 3 he loves it got his first deer with a bow last year. The 8 year old doesn't like it as well but tries and I don't push him as not to turn him away he likes turkey hunting well enough but not sure about deer, the 5 year old can't get enough of going with me and can't wait to get to pull the trigger on something. Just go at their speed and keep it fun, and don't be afraid to give up on a good hunt if the get cold or want to go, if it's not fun for them they won't like to go again.

Just really getting started with my boys, but a few things I've learned. Make if FUN for them, even if it greatly decreases the chance of shooting something. Be careful how hard you push them when it comes to weather, distance, etc. I didn't do this on the first squirrel hunt with my oldest. Now, I just throttle back to his speed and interest and try to follow rule #1. If doing much stationary hunting, some form of entertainment and lots of snacks are a huge help.

Get her water fowling
Upland birds
And shooting -
Go to the range!!!!
-taking an interest in what you are doing means she
Loves you dearly, so ya got nothing but
Time to find what she loves outdoors.

One of your fishing trips will be perfect!!!
Have fun Sytes , lucky little lady!

Depends what kind of a kid as well. Real shy....? Maybe just you guys
Also.
A dog is great to have along as long as it's well mannered and ya don't
Have to yell at the dog the whole time ....
And maybe going along with a Partner and their kid
It might help to have another youth along to look up
?

Last edited:
Tons of good advice so far. Along with many of the things stated, I have had good success with taking my young girls squirrel hunting. You're likely to at least see something and you can walk around and "whisper" and we even have hand signals when we see or hear something. Plus if they choose, they can carry the trophy's which gets them a little hands on experience.

In my experience with my three, it was just the thrill of going along that developed into the wish to participate. As stated by others keep it physically comfortable and fun. I think my seven year old still thinks you go hunting for the snacks. I personally would suggest a trip where they are observing before anything else. Bring plenty of snacks, a blanket, seat cushion, and a pair of binoculars. I once read that it makes a big impression on kids if you choose NOT to shoot something on their first trip because it shows them that it is a choice. Have done this with both boys and they live for hunting season. I don't know that it helped but I will do it again when I take my daughter. Thank God that there was never a buck I had to pass on. If there seems to be interest, then break out the .22 or air rifle and start practicing. If its of little interest stick with fishing, hiking, or even target shooting if rifles make her interested. Don't force anything and it should all work out for the best. Good luck.

I was sort of the learning phase for my dad taking kids hunting and here is what I've found we did wrong.

The hunts have to be moderately comfortable, they need decent gear. A lot more of that is available now than 20 years ago. I don't remember many hunts as a kid where I wasn't wet/cold in varying degrees. Tall wet grass walking in, leaky waders, etc.

There shouldn't be much pressure on the kids to succeed. I remember being a wreck after not shooting or missing a turkey as a kid. You and the kids need to be in an opportunity rich environment because opportunities are gonna get blown at a pretty high rate compared to what you are used to. For the reason you get multiple chances, small game was always less stressful. Small game also means that crippled animals are a little less traumatizing than big game both from a numbers and size prospective.

Certain game is more fun that others its just a fact and you need to plan for that. Doves, warm weather ducks or antelope are hunts that come to mind as something I would plan to take a first timer out on or most any youth only season. I think you have to ask yourself what a bad hunt looks like and plan around that. The point is a bad pheasant hunt still is walking around, or a bad dove hunt is only shooting half a box of shells where a bad tree stand deer hunt is as boring as them come. Depending on the level of interests, you only have a few chances to show them a good time.

I'm really of the belief that kids should come along in the field as much as possible on scouting trips and trips where they aren't hunting before they hunt themselves.

Almost forgot, the best peice of advise I can give is try not to get frustrated. I wish I would not get aggravated sometimes but I do and it doesn't do anything but make the situation worse. Patience is a virtue I wish I had more of.

Also, be prepared for set backs. I have gone through this with both boys where guns they have shot before suddenly kick too hard. I think they get worried after talking with friends and hearing their stories. Just be prepared to take a step back and start over sometimes. It usually doesn't take long and they are back at it. Again wish I had more patience and it would go better.

Call up your local game biologist or conservation officer and ask if there are any youth hunts or programs in your area. Our DNR puts on free dove and pheasant hunts for kids, also they find land owners who will allow kids to hunt for turkeys in the spring. Usually the hunts come with experienced hunters to help the kids. The pheasant hunts, for instance, have volunteers with trained dogs that will go with the kids if you don't have dogs.

My wife and daughter attended a wingshooting class a couple of weeks ago put on by the DNR and Pheasants Forever. It cost $10 and they shot the whole day with professional instructors. The price covered breakfast, lunch, guns(28ga), targets, ammo, ear and eye protection, and they even threw in hats. Not more than four students per instructor.

If you take her out remember that time in the field is her time not yours. If she gets cold or bored or fidgets around too much you can't get upset with her.

Scavenger hunts are a really great way to keep kids interested, make a list of things you look for when you hunt. Tracks, scat, sign, other animals, beds, and give her the "job" of checking things off and noting them.

Snacks, warm clothes and the right shoes, a campfire at some point, and you're golden.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back