MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

idaho rancher shoots 1st wolf under new 10j rule.

SageGhost

A rancher in remote Central Idaho shot a wolf he said was harassing his cattle, marking the first time one of the federally protected predators has been killed under new guidelines that took effect in February.

The rancher near Mackay shot the female gray wolf Sunday at 11 p.m. He watched it and another larger wolf chasing his cattle, the rancher told officials. The other wolf escaped.

Under the new rule that affects Idaho and Montana, people can now shoot wolves that pursue their livestock. Before, the rancher would have been forced to wait until a wolf had actually bitten one of his cows.

That change marked a first step in returning control of wolf populations to states and private landowners, who say they need it to limit depredation of livestock, domestic animals and wild game herds as wolf numbers steadily rise.

Federal officials have already determined the rancher acted appropriately. Wolf advocacy groups are reserving judgment pending an investigation.

"Under the new rule, the rancher was authorized to shoot the wolf," said Mark Collinge, director of the federal Wildlife Services Idaho office, which monitors predators preying on livestock in the state. He said it was the first under the new rule.

This is the third wolf killed legally in Idaho this year. Officers from Collinge's agency killed two in February after reports they'd preyed on cattle — killings that also would have been allowed under the old rules.

In 2004, Wildlife Services agents killed 17 wolves in Idaho, the most in any year since they were reintroduced to the region in 1995.

Meanwhile, wolf numbers in Idaho are expected to surpass 450 this year. The state's remote wilderness areas have made ideal breeding grounds.

In Sunday's incident, officials declined to give the rancher's name or exact location, fearing it could cause retribution on an issue that has polarized wolf advocates and critics.

Wildlife Services officials were on the scene Monday.

The dead wolf may have been a part of the nine-member Copper Basin pack or may have split off from that group. Authorities plan to examine the animal's stomach to learn about recent meals.

The wolf also will be examined for signs of breeding.

Federal officials described the events that preceded the shooting, saying the rancher called them Thursday to report that wolves caused his herd of cattle to stampede.

One calf was trampled to death, he told them.

The rancher wanted to know his rights under the new rule, which brings Idaho and Montana closer to the level of management they will enjoy when wolves are delisted under the Endangered Species Act. The federal government is waiting until a legal dispute is resolved in neighboring Wyoming before the wolf is delisted.

When the wolves returned to the property Sunday, officials say the rancher was ready.

"It appears the system has worked correctly and as we hoped it would," said Carter Niemeyer, the wolf recovery coordinator for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Boise.

Suzanne Stone, field representative of Defenders of Wildlife in Boise, said whether the rancher is eligible for compensation for the dead calf depends on whether he tried nonlethal methods of discouraging the wolf before shooting it. Defenders has paid out more than $430,000 since 1987.
i found this pic on the internet, nice visual aid !!!

Attachments

• wolfshot.jpg
    wolfshot.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,701
Meanwhile, wolf numbers in Idaho are expected to surpass 450 this year. The state's remote wilderness areas have made ideal breeding grounds.
Another reason we need to cut back on the number of wilderness acres. ;)

I have no problem with this killing, but I am under the asumption that it occured on private land. If it was on public land, I would be in disagreement. Hell, if you pay a measily $1.79 an AUM you should have to put up with some of the consequences, whether it be wolves, bears or 'yotes.

SageGhost said:
He watched it and another larger wolf chasing his cattle, the rancher told officials. The other wolf escaped.

He needs to get him a semi-auto. Shame the other one got away. Great picture though. :D

Improved Ranching Equipment

Wouldn't have to ride horses to gather your cattle off the range. Could move large amounts of hay without opening any gates. And most importantly, the big bad wolf wouldn't have gotten away. :D

I'll probably catch hell for this...but....having a passion for both flying and shooting, that looks like just way toooo much fun to me :eek:

Well, I have to say that I agree with MTMILLER in this one if its private property great go gettem, but if its public lands I believe its a price you pay to feed your livestock.
I own a wolf but I would also love to see hunting of wolves in Idaho return to the hunters.

thanks for the responses.. i am glad their are ranchers like this in idaho !!!! found more photos like this on the internet if anyone wants to see what TROPHIES look like... boone and crockett need to start measuring skulls to determine trophies once wolf hunting becomes legal.. hump

Attachments

• archives gun measured wolf.JPG
    archives gun measured wolf.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,547
  • DeadWolves.jpg
    DeadWolves.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 15,098
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,523
  • images1.jpg
    images1.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,519
Next to the adult forum, this thread has the best pictures I have seen on here yet. Lets keep em coming!!!!!

You should use a Shot gun out of the Chopper.... Not that I have any experience ... (In New Zealand ;) ) But it works great !

I think that like any animal it depends on how it is raised. A domestic DOG can and do kill kids every day but we don't here about that to often do we???????
You here about the hybrid-wolves for one reason the word WOLF!
My wolf is 9 years old and never bit, killed or any thing like that. Not to say that if some one that she does not now "an adult" were to come in behind the fence with out one of the family there that she might or might not bit them. But you take that chance with any animal. And she loves kids, we have 6 kids total and all their Friends, she licks them all to death and has not even grumbled at them.
ITS NOT THE ANIMAL ITS THE PEOPLE THAT RAISE THEM, JUST LIKE WITH KIDS!!!!

That reminds me of a Song...

Dun Dun Dun..
Another one Bites the Dust..
And anotherone gone and Anotherone gone...
Anotherone bites the dust.. YAH !

Ohhh we're gunna get you too..
Anotherone Bits the dust ....

Everybody now...

Another one gone, Another one gone... Anotherone bites the dust !

Back