I-161?

anIDhunter

Whatever happened to this MT initiative? Was it implemented? What have the effects been up until now? Xan't seem to find much in a search.

Pat

It passed...no effects really noticed. They did not sell out of tags. I can say that there were a lot more guys at the stores, restaurants, and bars locally.

A current elk panel is working on backdooring it with unlimited private land elk tags. IMO just shy of turning us into Colorado. :mad:

Correction: Although the 17,000 NR licenses were not initially applied for, later when the excess became available on a first-call-first-get basis, all were sold out within a week.

The FWP Commission met on last Thursday and Friday. They considered the proposal of the Archery Elk Working Group and decided to further explore the issues. FWP will conduct hearings across the state to gather input and then the Commission will decide what to to. It was evident that there is strong opposition to unlimited permits on private land only.

When I called FWP early the last week of season the lady told me there was around 800 NR elk tags left:confused:

I also saw that combo tags were available in November to confirm badlandcats statement.

When I called FWP early the last week of season the lady told me there was around 800 NR elk tags left:confused:

Bad...cat, I will look for a link, but pretty sure those 800 permits were returned from elk combos that retained the deer, but gave back the elk.

I couldn't find the link on the FWP page, but this is from a MT newspaper.

According to FWP, the leftover licenses might be due to a number of factors, including the passage of a voter initiative last year that increased the prices for Montana’s 2011 nonresident big game and deer combination licenses. Additionally, a new law passed this year by Montana legislators allows unsuccessful applicants for a nonresident special elk permit to retain the deer portion of their big game combination hunting license but return the elk license to FWP. The law resulted in more than 800 elk licenses being returned, and which now remain on sale.

http://helenair.com/lifestyles/recr...cle_60038fea-f568-11e0-a9c0-001cc4c03286.html

There were some elk/deer combo licenses still available in mid November.

Someone on a discussion forum somewhere said they were thinking about going to Montana over Thanksgiving to go mule deer hunting and I posted that they would have already needed to purchase a tag, but they replied that there were still some of the elk/deer combos available. I double checked online and sure enough, they were still showing available to purchase on the online licensing system.

I know some nonresidents apply for the tag and then apply for the special draw for some of the tough to draw premium units and if they don't draw those they return the tag for an 80% refund. Those would have gone back after they "sold out" after the undersubscribed drawing when they offered them up over the counter. 800 seems like a lot of returned licenses, I'm not sure how many were available in November, but I know there were some.

Last edited:
Man you can learn a ton reading these posts, thanks for all the info guys. It sure makes the DIY hunter that much more lethal with it comes down to it.

Back