MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hunting Burns?

brianaernst

I'm a very green elk hunter but a well seasoned hunter/angler/outdoors-man from Michigan. Last year was my first elk hunt (DIY, OTC, Unit 15, 2nd rifle season) and boy did I learn a lot. However I only saw one legal bull the entire trip. My father didn't even see an elk. Regardless, I fell in the love with the mountains, the effort required, and the elk I was chasing. So I'm exploring new GMU's and have been drawn to SW CO.

Back to my subject/title question: How long post a large burn, will the land start holding elk again? Approximately. I know this can vary.

I'm interested in a specific area that had a pretty significant burn in the recent past. I'm concerned that it might not have enough cover yet (not worried about food, that has to be there!) to hold elk. I'm looking to hunt this in mid-to-late September with my bow. This area will require quite an effort/commitment to even get up into. Also, considering I live in MI doesn't really allow the opportunity to take a hike out there to see for myself.

Any and all advice/experience would be much appreciated.

It really depends on how hot the fire got. If it was screaming hot and killed off all the root systems in the ground it might be like walking on moon dust for a few years. There are a whole bunch of variables in your question to have the perfect answer. Best bet is to call the area biologist and ask about the fire and its intensity.

Generally, as long as there is some thick timber somewhere nearby (.25-.50 miles) and a water source within a mile or two, the elk could be in there as soon as the grass comes back, which is usually pretty quick. I've never had a ton of luck bowhunting burns because they are usually too open for my preference (or skill). It's important to realize it can vary a LOT. I know people have shot elk out of burns that are still charred and ashy. I think if the elk were in the area prior to the burn, it won't take long at all for them to return, if they left the country in the first place.

^^^ This

If archery hunting a good plan can be to catch them going between bedding areas (unburned timber) and feeding areas (burn). If conditions are right they will be in the burn the same year.

Thanks guys, this helps! I'll reach out to a local biologist, just wanted to get a feel for some collective experience before taking that step.

The area I'm looking at doesn't have much unburned timber (but there is some), so I'm just concerned about it being too wide open to hold any elk during the day. In Michigan I hunt a lot of state land that inevitably gets clear-cut. There is a "sweet spot" right around 3-5 years post cut to where it's producing a ton of food and enough cover to keep the deer feeling comfortable in it (they often even bed in it). Post 5-7 years our clear cuts are just a wall of scrub saplings which shade out the browse and make it pointless to hunt until the mast trees (oaks, etc) are 25+ years old and producing again. I have no experience with burns or the native vegetation in CO (and how it grows back). The area I'm looking at doesn't appear to have too many aspens at all, mainly pine. All above 10,000 ft. So I'm assuming it will be slow to regain any sort of cover elk will be comfortable bedding up in?

we hunt huge clearcuts here in N ID and elk will bed within 50 yards of these cuts if there is big timber adjoining them. Not much different with a burn if you got big timber near the elk wont be far.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back