NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Hunt Talker Hunt 2014

It blew my mind that JR was able to kill his bear where he did. To be able to get all the way around that canyon and pick the right spot to bail down the ridge is crazy, and then to be able to creep down that ridge and not blow the bear out? Insane. It's a lot steeper than it looks in those pics. He's got some serious ninja skills.

A couple of pics from our first evening glassing. Elkoholic and I climbed up a rockslide and saw a few interesting things.

This is a sow and cubs we glassed from about 3/4 of a mile away. The two black spots in the snow are the cubs, they were playing around while mom was mowing down some serious grass.
IMG_1952.jpg

We saw two goats that night as well. This is the only good pic I was able to get through my spotting scope.
IMG_1961.jpg

Crap! You guys must have been in the *nose bleed seats*. Every other photo I see I am thinking I would have died and you all would have left me for bait and come back the next day!! Or not!

Man, I feel for you! Did the airlines make you squeal like a pig? Did you hear banjo music @ each segment of your adventure? Sheesh! I feel for you. What a bummer.

Glad your home safe. Great meeting you and everyone else. Erika wishes you well.

Glad you finally made it back safe Dustin! I think the airlines had something against your beard!

Awesome trip!!!
Thanks for taking us all along. Thanks for updates and pics and videos and quotes.
Dustin, I hope you get your stuff back. I hate it for you.
Cushman, I hope you make it home (or someone finds you?).
Very impressed that y'all made this happen - and even killed bears!
Had a blast following along. I am going to make it to one of these one year...

Wow! I don't know if you guys could have done much better than that! Great story, great hunt and sure wish I could have made it. Ultramag and I actually were gonna head up there for a day to hang out but didn't quite have time to get up there........and we just happened to find a rather large bear on the way that got us sidetracked:) Maybe next year.

Wow, I can't believe I missed this. Congrats, you guys didn't mess around!

Soooooo what's the plan for next year? Count me in...

Well I am glad to hear that everyone made it home safe (I am assuming that there is no one and nothing that can stop Cushman from getting where he wants to go).

I have been trying to get my friends a bear the last few days, but us Montana guys just can't seem to pull it off;) I was feeling a bit sore and tired on Monday, so I took him up to the grizzly cliffs. We showed up a little before 5 and spotted two very nice bears right away. The chocolate that Gerald, Randy, and Dustin saw on Saturday was way up higher than when they saw him and a big black colored bear was up even higher. They unceremoniously dumped me off on the side of the road to keep my eyes on the bear and watch for the grizzlies.

About 15 minutes after they drove off to head for the bottom of the ridge I spotted the griz sow and cubs about 200 yards directly below the chocolate bear. I remembered the guys saying the big griz boar was about 200 yards above the sow a couple days earlier, so I kept a close eye out for him on the route those guys were taking to get up there. Thankfully, after a little more than an hour, they made it up to where the choc was without incident. Just as they got to where they needed to be the chocolate bear got up from his nap and fed up to the ridge. Unfortunately they did not get set up for a shot when they got there, and even though they got to see the bear feed over the ridge for about a minute, it took longer than that to get a rifle on him.

Yesterday we planned to head into the same area but further up canyon. Unfortunately and outfitter made it there ahead of us, so we had to go to plan B. We hiked up the trail about a mile and got to where we could see the backside of the griz cliffs. About 1/2 an hour into glassing I spotted a medium sized brown colored bear and the stalk was on. Those guys picked a great route and even found a snow bridge to cross the creek. It only took them about 40 minutes to get to 40 yards from the bear. My friend is very picky about taking shots and spent a little too long shifting around trying to find the perfect angle and the bear spotted them and took off. Oh well, I guess some of you guys will have to come back next year and show them how it is done.:D

I just got the video of Ethan's bear on the computer and it turned out pretty good despite not using a tripod. I will be pretty busy over the next few days, but I will get it up on vimeo early next week.

Well I am glad to hear that everyone made it home safe (I am assuming that there is no one and nothing that can stop Cushman from getting where he wants to go).

I have been trying to get my friends a bear the last few days, but us Montana guys just can't seem to pull it off;) I was feeling a bit sore and tired on Monday, so I took him up to the grizzly cliffs. We showed up a little before 5 and spotted two very nice bears right away. The chocolate that Gerald, Randy, and Dustin saw on Saturday was way up higher than when they saw him and a big black colored bear was up even higher. They unceremoniously dumped me off on the side of the road to keep my eyes on the bear and watch for the grizzlies.

About 15 minutes after they drove off to head for the bottom of the ridge I spotted the griz sow and cubs about 200 yards directly below the chocolate bear. I remembered the guys saying the big griz boar was about 200 yards above the sow a couple days earlier, so I kept a close eye out for him on the route those guys were taking to get up there. Thankfully, after a little more than an hour, they made it up to where the choc was without incident. Just as they got to where they needed to be the chocolate bear got up from his nap and fed up to the ridge. Unfortunately they did not get set up for a shot when they got there, and even though they got to see the bear feed over the ridge for about a minute, it took longer than that to get a rifle on him.

Yesterday we planned to head into the same area but further up canyon. Unfortunately and outfitter made it there ahead of us, so we had to go to plan B. We hiked up the trail about a mile and got to where we could see the backside of the griz cliffs. About 1/2 an hour into glassing I spotted a medium sized brown colored bear and the stalk was on. Those guys picked a great route and even found a snow bridge to cross the creek. It only took them about 40 minutes to get to 40 yards from the bear. My friend is very picky about taking shots and spent a little too long shifting around trying to find the perfect angle and the bear spotted them and took off. Oh well, I guess some of you guys will have to come back next year and show them how it is done.:D

I just got the video of Ethan's bear on the computer and it turned out pretty good despite not using a tripod. I will be pretty busy over the next few days, but I will get it up on vimeo early next week.

Man it's full on Bearapalooza in those cliffs right now. I was looking at the maps and I kind of feel like a wuss for not going after that bear Friday. Oh well. I hope you guys get one out of there.

I'm finally home now. I rolled in about 3 hours ago. I want to thank all the guys for not giving me a bunch of crap for deciding not to hunt. Once I saw the terrain and took into account my physical issues, I realized it would be a waste of a tag. I kind of assumed the role of camp cook and keeper of the fire and did a lot of fishing. I can't begin to express my thanks to everyone that put in the effort to put this on. This was one of the best trips I've been on and my shrink will be happy that I was able to deal with a group of strangers without extra happy pills. I stayed Monday and didn't catch a damned fish, but hung out with George and that was fun. I didn't run into snow on the way home until Casper, WY, but the roads were clear. So much for all the storms the weather service was calling for from Missoula to Sheridan, WY. Spent the night in Denver with an old Army buddy and got up this morning and headed home. My finace and dogs were happy to see me. Once again, thanks everyone for a most excellent weekend.

It wouldn't have been the same without you John. Glad you made it home safe. I need to get that chili recipe from you. That stuff was excellent! I will try and find that pickling recipe for you too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back