how many days

Nick87

A couple of buddies and I are planning our first diy antelope hunt this year in wyoming. Have a pretty good grasp on where we are going and everything, my question is how many days do some of you guys actually take for your antelope hunts. We were thinking like -4 days of actual hunt time. Is this a pretty realistic goal? Seems like most guys I r alk to do not r aka a full week, thanks for any advice!

4 days should be plenty of time for an antelope hunt; especially if you have multiple vehicles to get around in the hunt area. I dont believe I would want more than 2 people to a vehicle doing so would cut hunt time down for each of and also limit the amount of gear per person.

If you aren't strictly after a trophy, you could probably tag out in an hour. Although I will stretch it out a bit. You should see plenty of antelope.

Four days is great.It just depends how long you want to hang out. Have fun.

I have never been on a pronghorn hunt where could not have filled a rifle tag in 1/2 day with a representative buck for that unit. That spans OR, WY, NM 2x, UT, MT and TX. Finding a dandy buck is another matter. Getting within bow range is another matter unless sit water in a dry year.

You will probably spend more time traveling than hunting. The hardest part is staying off the trigger so you can get some hunting time in.

Yeah, depends on when you go, where you hunt (public?) and what you're after. If you're just after any good antelope and are there on opening morning, it should take less than an hour assuming you can scout the day before.

I think if you are waiting that long after the opener, it won't be as easy as opening morning. However they should be starting to calm down by then. Four days should be ok in most situations when trophy quality isn't the main goal. We always allow for five because we leave saturday and come back sunday which leaves all five work days to hunt. Have never needed them but came close our first trip. One thing we have done is plan on the worst case scenario and have another day figured in with through the night driving on the way home. You never know if you need that one extra day.

New Mexico has 2 day hunts. Plenty of time if they are there. If they are not there, 4 days would be frustrating!

If hunting opening day use a couple days to scout and the other 2 to hunt. But seeing your hunting after do not put a shell in the chamber unless he is a stud. MAKE yourself pass up a few to know what the quality is in your area. I have never taken more than a day to tag out on 10 plus goats 3 of which scored over 82 in. Take your time 4 days will be plenty.

With a rifle I don't recall ever hunting more than 2 days. Archery is a different story, though. But, 4 days should be plenty of time, even with extra doe tags, for everyone for a rifle hunt.

I'd pack all 4 of you in a truck and save on gas and driving time. If you aren't after the biggest buck in the unit, I don't think you will need two vehicles. Drop 2 guys off so they can hunt a spot and the other two can go to the next spot. Or, hunt as a group of 4. I have more fun watching my friends put on a stalk and shoot a buck than I have doing it myself.

You will have a fun trip! Good luck and watch the cactus.

The only thing I was thinking that might make it tougher is the size of the public land you are on. Is your unit mainly small walk in areas or is there some sizeable chunks like 10,000 acres of good habitat? If its small walk ins that are spread out it may take a while and two trucks will be needed. If there are some sizeable areas you should be fine in 4 days and take one truck to save gas money. Just my opinion.

I've been out the last 2 years and leaving from northern, IL our trips have been running about 84-98 hours including driving both ways. Clearly we drive all night and usually only get 1-2 real nights of good sleep while camping and we hunt every legal minute of the day.

Oh wow looks like I can cut down on some of my travel days, I'm planning on coming out to Wyoming solo this year and was planning on 7 days to get it done

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back