Yeti GOBOX Collection

Helena Montana

Baerman

I'll be in town working for a couple days next week and am curious of those familiar with the area:

1) What are the better restaurants, steak house or italian?
2) What is worth seeing in the general vicinity?
3) Any must do or see recommendations?
4) Is there a good brewery in town, which one?

Any other recommendations are welcome. Much appreciated!

1. Lucca's is a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for- big portions and pretty dang good Italian. Silver Star is ok at best. Way overpriced, and not that good of steaks in my opinion. The burgers and everything else are pretty bland. Jorgenson's is pretty good if you're looking for variety

2. Get out and hunt... nothing special to see.

3. See #2.

4. Blackfoot River Brewing Comany is amazing... You will have a good time at their tap room. Lewis & Clark Brewery beer is subpar and has always tasted watered down to me.

This is just one man's opinion though.

1- For italian, Luccas is the place. If your going to get a steak, treat yourself with a drive to Clancy and eat at Chubbys. Prime Rib on Friday/Saturday nights is excellent. Windbag (downtown) is also good and on the walking mall which is kind of cool. Not a fan of the Silver Star. For Mexican, I loved Melaque's on 11th next to Mcdonalds and IMO Bullwinkles has the best pizza in town.

2- I always liked the drive up to wolf creek as a scenic little tour. A drive towards park lake is also nice country. There are some areas near there that you will almost undoubtedly see some big mule deer... you can't shoot or hunt them, but you can see them.

3- If you like football and you're their on a saturday, the Carrol College football atmosphere is kind of neat.

4- I agree on the Blackfoot River Brewing tap room. There will be hippies. Lewis and clark is ok, but not quite on the level of Blackfoot.

I'll be in town working for a couple days next week and am curious of those familiar with the area:

Mediterranean Grill is very good for dinner. Taco del sol for lunch, or Melaques is pretty good. Windbag can be good food as well.

Gates of the Mountain is a cool spot, but if you want to stretch your legs then the Mt. Helena trail system is great. Good views on top of the mountain.

Blackfoot is the best brewery in town. When you get your state mandated three beers, you can head down the street to Miller's and get some more.

Que? What kind of place only lets you drink 3 beers?

There is a difference between a "liquor" license (which is very, very hard to get in Montana) and a "brewery" license.

Under current Montana law, owners of a brewery license can only sell beer until 8 pm and only sell three pints to a single customer, but those restrictions don't apply to holders of all-beverage licenses.

Do what I do when I go to Blackfoot and get yourself the 3 beer limit and then fill 2 growlers with your favorites and enjoy with friends elsewhere. Single Malt IPA is my favorite but right now they are serving a Cascadian Dark Ale (CDA) that should be fantastic.

Keep it going gents. I am soon to be relocating to Helena as I landed a pretty good gig there. I wanna hear more!! You can throw in some hunting spots while you are at it! LOL.

Keep it going gents. I am soon to be relocating to Helena as I landed a pretty good gig there. I wanna hear more!! You can throw in some hunting spots while you are at it! LOL.

Congrats Draht, you're going to love it there.

I lived in Helena for a month last winter, and I really liked it. I'd take a good job there in a second.

Congrats Draht, you're going to love it there.

I lived in Helena for a month last winter, and I really liked it. I'd take a good job there in a second.

Helena is better than Missoula huh? wow! Looking forward to checking the Helena area out being that I really like Missoula.

Helena is better than Missoula huh? wow! Looking forward to checking the Helena area out being that I really like Missoula.

I don't know if I like it more than Missoula or not, but it is a really nice town.

I spent day in Helena a few years back, waiting for my truck to be repaired.
I really enjoyed "Montana's Museum".
Tons of old west stuff & displays.
Everything from original art, to a covered wagon and Kit Carsons binoculars and rifle.

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Riley's Irish Pub. Great food and hard cider on the tap. :)

Riley's reuben sandwich with a cold Guiness on tap is a filling lunch.

Not much for the high class hunter, but the best broasted chicken and the coldest beer can be found at the Suds Hut.

1-Helena is definitely lacking in good places to eat. Luca's for Italian but pricey. The next best is Macaroni Grill if that tells you anything. Wish we had a Ciao Mambo's. I think MT City grill has the best blackened prime. Silver Star is subpar and if I am not eating prime I cook steak at home. We suck for Mexican food, Melaque is the best but no where near great.

2-I guess it depends on what you want. If you like mule deer then one evening go to Wolf Creek, take 287 towards Augusta, and check out the deer. some fine bucks and lots of them. If you like drives a drive around Canyon Ferry used to entertain me when I moved here. The museum is pretty cool if you are into that. If you like politics the capitol complex is cool. If you like history the mansion district with their stories are unique.

3-That drive along highway 287. If you have the time one of my if my absolute favorite drives is highway 89 along the eastern front. or hit White Sulphur for a soak and drive the kings hill highway.

4-Blackfoot. if you want food with the beer hit the brewhouse. food is okay but you can have lewis and clark micro brew with it.

Huh? Dude. I can't even put one out!! I was all set to throw one up in my good spot over this dead week, just to see what might be wandering around. But I realized wolf season starts tomorrow and I have a wolf tag, so I shot myself in the butt on that one too.

Could have had some good pics of some giant grizzlies tearing up a neighbor's orchard, but that didn't work out either. He got some cool pics though. One of them was a true behemoth.

I am excited to see some new country. I see some big bulls being killed by some guys with Helena addys, I assume they aren't going too far to do that. But, right now it's more important to get things in order and get somewhat settled in. This whole archery season has kind of gone down the chitter. I would like to run into a bull before I leave here, rather than trying to figure out new country.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back