Halo GPS Dog Fence...yeah or nay?

A dog any kind of gritty will take the zap to get what it wanta on any
I hear that all the time, but it just isn’t true. It usually it comes from someone who doesn’t want to spend the money on a professionally installed fence with guaranteed containment.

There are essentially two variables in the containment equation. A quality product, and quality training. Both are equally important. Folks who do this on their own typically have no idea what they are doing and they use cheap/garbage products, then are mystified at the poor outcome.

The problem is after their experience with what they thought would work these people then lump all products into the same cart and think if X didn’t work nothing will (and about 99% of the folks have tried a DIY type fence which isn’t comparable). Thats the same mind set as thinking an 80 Ford LTD will be as good on Montana roads during the winter as a 2024 Denali 4x4 with winter tires. Both are vehicles, but the similarities pretty much stop at both having a steering wheel and 4 tires.

I’ve got 2k dogs contained and have never had to give someone a refund because I couldn’t contain their dog. Wolf hybrids, Anatolian Shepard, Great Pyrenees, the list goes on. Lots of tricks still in the toolbox I haven’t even had to break out…
Oh, lawd. We got a dog whisperer over here. Save the sales pitch for someone who'll fall for that pile.

A dog any kind of gritty will take the zap to get what it wanta on any

Oh, lawd. We got a dog whisperer over here. Save the sales pitch for someone who'll fall for that pile.
I’m not a dog whisperer, just confident in the product I use, have a proven track record; and BTW, haven’t tried to sell anyone anything.
It’s just a bit comical that I see this type of talk all the time. The potential customer has nothing to lose, it’s a guarantee; in writing. What some folks don’t want to do is pay for that outcome, so they dream up a preconceived idea about how their dog (or a dog with “grit”) will respond. That entrenched belief alleviates them from being proven wrong and having to swallow their pride and write a check, in their mind it also justifies their dog being locked up in a kennel 22hrs a day.

We use the wireless invisible fence with 2 base stations to make kind of a figure 8 around our house. It gives them about an acre which is a good size area to me.

It has worked well for us. New dogs need some boundary flags to get used to it but after that it works pretty well.

There is a stubborn dog version that adds an extra level of correction if you need it but I’ve only had to go to that level for one dog. We’ve been using it for close to 20 years now.

I’m not a dog whisperer, just confident in the product I use, have a proven track record; and BTW, haven’t tried to sell anyone anything.
It’s just a bit comical that I see this type of talk all the time. The potential customer has nothing to lose, it’s a guarantee; in writing. What some folks don’t want to do is pay for that outcome, so they dream up a preconceived idea about how their dog (or a dog with “grit”) will respond. That entrenched belief alleviates them from being proven wrong and having to swallow their pride and write a check, in their mind it also justifies their dog being locked up in a kennel 22hrs a day.
You're literally trying to sell people in general on the idea of the product you use because the truth hinders you. I'm not buying that used car nor that new POS neither.

You're literally trying to sell people in general on the idea of the product you use because the truth hinders you. I'm not buying that used car nor that new POS neither.
I’m providing 100% accurate information in an area I have thousands of hours of experience in and haven’t mentioned once the brand I represent. Trying to “sell something” would typically end up financially benefitting the seller, which isn’t the case here.

The vehicle analogy was a pretty accurate way to demonstrate a comparison of something people might be able to relate to since these products are not nearly as well known. You seem to prefer walking, why not keep moving along then.

You seem to be well stuck on your opinion, which is fine. You know, we all have an opinion, just like something else we all have, right? I know that there are some thick headed dogs that will put up with the "hit", other dogs that only have to catch it once and that beep will stop em in their tracks. Amount of grit in the dog has little to do with it, if anything. Training is part of the equation, and if that is dog whispering, so be it.

I have seen dogs that respond instantly to an e-collar, and others that won't stop at full power. In my opinion, that isn't representing grit - knowing the dogs, it was more related to their smarts (and training, which lack of smarts can influence).

David
NM

I’m not sure about the Halo collars but we run 7 SpotOn collars with the GPS fence and they work great. Their customer service is great too. A few of our colllars are 3 years old and holding up well.

good to hear about the spoton collars, wish i had seen ozwildlife's post before we made the decision this morning but I think we will still be happy with our decision. with our proximity to the road we are going with a dogwatch fence but not a terrible price since my wife works at a vet clinic so they are giving her a discount and we are only doing the road frontage and a bit of a curve on each end so it will be more expensive than spoton but allow us to get closer to the road without worrying about gps variances. still more than I "want" to spend, but cheaper than vet bills or a dead dog if he decides to run into the road again when we're doing chores. local guy is one of the top dealers in the world and will do the training with us, not that i expect our guy to take a lot but nice to have someone in the back pocket if needed

good to hear about the spoton collars, wish i had seen ozwildlife's post before we made the decision this morning but I think we will still be happy with our decision. with our proximity to the road we are going with a dogwatch fence but not a terrible price since my wife works at a vet clinic so they are giving her a discount and we are only doing the road frontage and a bit of a curve on each end so it will be more expensive than spoton but allow us to get closer to the road without worrying about gps variances. still more than I "want" to spend, but cheaper than vet bills or a dead dog if he decides to run into the road again when we're doing chores. local guy is one of the top dealers in the world and will do the training with us, not that i expect our guy to take a lot but nice to have someone in the back pocket if needed
I know you will be happy. You made a solid choice.

I know you will be happy. You made a solid choice.
worked with the local dogwatch guy 6 years ago e-collar training my dog so although i think spoton has a lot of potential but like you said dogwatch is a solid choice so the price is right. just need to get the guy to work on the company to get me the ecollar built that I want

Made an account just to reply, @Labman is spot on. I got a Halo for our lab because the thought of running buried wire on 10 acres of woods sounds terrible. The accuracy of these things is downright dangerous. My lot is not all that narrow, but it is oblong, I had two separate occasions where the collar was shocking/providing static feedback to my dog when she was IN MY HOME! This is over 100 feet from where the "boundary" was set in any direction. After the second time I was able to call and get a full refund thankfully. Trouble is now that I am back to looking at other options all I see is advertisements for Halo 😂. It's a neat concept, but GPS is just not accurate enough to make it practical my experience.
GPS doesn’t work indoors. I use a Dogtra pathfinder 2 for my GSP and I always remove before he comes indoors. If you fail to do that, which it appears you did, you risk the chance of your dog being shocked. Never had one problem with Dogtra

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back