Caribou Gear

Green Decoys

I liked Steven Rinellas podcast last Thursday. It was with a Backcountry hunters and anglers founders and this "green decoy" tactic backfired it sounded like. He said that he was nervous after the "green decoy" scam was released targeting them but afterward BHA sponsors said good job and they wanted to double down their efforts with them. Green decoy is honestly one of the most fraudulent scams there are.

Backcountry hunters and anglers and TRCP are great organizations and I will continue to support them. In fact in the wake of all this public land bullcrap I am now a monthly donar to TRCP and renewed my BHA membership for 3 years. Keep up the good work guys, we're scaring the hell out of them.

Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg

Double face palm. Green decoys smokescreen undone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 976
So is everything they stated false? Or did they just use a lot of spin?
I suspect this has a lot to do with the federal land transfer politics.

Honestly I figured you were just being sarcastic. The green decoy thing was Brought to life by oil companies to attempt to discredit organizations that are against this transfer of public lands. There were even oil companies who wouldn't agree to use this dirty tactic and exposed it and the idea behind it. TRCP and Backcountry hunters and anglers are great organizations and if by green decoys they mean two of the best groups standing up for sportsmen in DC then that's exactly what they are.

It's a cheap and desperate attempt to discredit sportsmen groups who had the balls to stand up to them and stand on the side of sportsmen. See these organizations should have all of our support, because they scare the hell out of these public land transfer cronies. It's better to further investigate crap like the green decoy shit before accepting it as true. Don't stand for it if someone tries to use it, it's a scam, period.

My final words of advice is to join Backcountry hunters and anglers, join Trout unlimited, donate to TRCP, they are great organizations that have long stood up for and improved sportsmen access and futures. They stand up for things even when it's tough or unpopular. They stand by sportsmen. Thank you to all of them.

Last edited:
My thoughts on Coggins "FAKE" Green Decoy" attack scheme was so elegantly expressed in the "comments" Section at the bottom, by Todd Tanner

Many of us in the trenches have been attacked by this one man organization.

I saw this a while back. It was so "convincing" :rolleyes: that I signed up for a life membership to BHA a few days ago, something I have wanted to do for a while. I live too far away from the mountains to do much hands on conservation projects right now, but I'll support BHA or TRCP any chance I get.

DC based PR firm who's CEO has been dubbed "Dr. Evil" and is on record about how they hide their clients funding behind the 501 (c)(4) shield to "win ugly". Spin is a generous term.

it's not much of a guess to know those funding Berman stand to gain financially by owning, leasing, extracting, controlling the places we love to hunt and fish and see hunters and anglers as a roadblock.

TRCP and IWL are not even on the radar screen in my state (Idaho), so I can't comment on them.

BCHA has a chapter here. I would not use the term green decoy to describe them. Rather, I would say they are a small "environmental" organization that has hunters and anglers as members. For example, I've never seen them chime in on things like proposed changes to hunting and fishing regs, etc., like most organization that purport to represent hunters and anglers do, so its hard to call them a hunting advocacy group (though habitat is definitely an issue important to hunting).

The only times BCHA have made the press here is when they held their convention nearby in Spokane, and when the chimed in on public lands transfer. They definitely aren't a group that wields any political influence, or has the ability to shape public perception. They seem to represent a very small segment of Idahoans. Its not clear from their website where their funding comes from, but I'm guessing its from a few large donors that aren't based in Idaho?

As I understand it, their leader for Idaho is a former Nature Conservancy activist of some sort. Ironically, here in North Idaho anyway, more land has been closed to hunting by actions of the Nature Conservancy than by any other cause, so its hard not to be a little suspicious. On the surface, it looks like the same people carrying a different flag. I'm not sure she is even actually a hunter or angler or is just part of their professional or volunteer staff? (To gain credibility with hunters here you need to show a notched tag).

Despite being a very red state, we actually have a comparatively good track record in Idaho of preserving public lands and habitat. This has been accomplished by collaborative efforts that appeal to people across the political spectrum. Some of the more radical environmental groups are very counterproductive to this process. They tend to want to litigate instead of collaborate. These are groups like Western Watersheds, GYC, Defenders of Wildlife, and the like.

Most such groups shot themselves in the feet with their unrelenting opposition to wolf delisting. They are all now completely toxic, having lost any credibility they may have had with people that share at least some common interests with regards to conservation.

My impression of BCHA is that they probably fall closer to these litigious type groups, than they do to the more mainstream groups, on the political spectrum. The fact that Rocky Barker endorses them, who is also a mouthpiece for Defenders and Wildlife and the Greater Yellowstone Coalition, does not help their cause, and creates kind of a guilty by association effect.

Most hunters I know haven't even heard of BCHA. Though, most tend to eschew these types of organizations, preferring grass roots actions, pertaining to specific issues. I would say pursuing its current strategy, BCHA will have a tough time being an effective organization in the Gem State.

Last edited:
As I understand it, their leader for Idaho is a former Nature Conservancy activist of some sort. Ironically, here in North Idaho anyway, more land has been closed to hunting by actions of the Nature Conservancy than by any other cause, so its hard not to be a little suspicious. On the surface, it looks like the same people carrying a different, re-branded flag. I'm not sure she is even actually a hunter or angler or is just part of their professional or volunteer staff? (To gain credibility with hunters here you need to show a notched tag).

Is the Nature Conservancy land in North Idaho closed, or just restricted to walk-in traffic.

I loved the TNC land in Montana as it shut some old roads down and consequently the quality of the hunting went up (WAY up).

BHA's structure is this: Each state that has a chapter which is formed of volunteers who decide what they will and will not work on. MT's chapter works on license allocation, forest planning, wildlife management (like shoulder seasons, etc). I don't know what Idaho's chapter is like, but I know several state chapter leaders who are actively engaged in state level wildlife management.

The national BHA organization works heavily on federal issues and actively lobbies congress on issues related to sportsmen, hunting, angling and public land management. They are a very effective and credible voice on the Hill for our issues. TRCP similarly works on policy at the federal and state level that effects wildlife management and wildlife habitat. They are growing and should have some new staff coming on in the Northern Rockies.

BHA doesn't sue, and their positions are nowhere close to the far left groups Pinecricker mentions.

& I like Rocky. He does some great work. ;)

This Green Decoy business makes me wanna puke.

In Steve Rinella's podcast with Land Tawney I loved how he proposes that some of these Green Decoy folks, who apparently are the "real deal hunters", should spend a day with a few BHA members and go hunting.

I'd love to take some of these Green Decoy folks out and see just how hard they think they can hike...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mtbirdandbiggamehunter
Back