PEAX Equipment

GPS or phone

I still use a GPS.
Out here in the wilds of Montana, cell service is spotty on a good day.
If you did not download your maps before you lose reception you're only carrying a camera with your phone. Not to mention a $1300 phone is twice the price of my Garmin.

Just a phone and zoleo here too.

Why carry extra things? You have a $800-$1,000 gps in your pocket that works better than any other handheld gps...

Your phone works as a gps, a camera, a map, a flashlight, a compass, a way to message through satellite devices, it can do topo or satellite imagery, it can hold books for rainy days, and a lot of other things... Give it 5-10 years and we won't even need the zoleo or inreach devices I bet. The phones will all run on satellites.

All you have to do is download the area you're hunting through GoHunt or OnX and you're good to go...

GPS hasn't been off the shelf in years, phone only. Phone is in my pocket, whether hunting or walking down the street and no concern about dropping it in either case.

I carry both for a wide variety of very good reasons.

1. I don't like downloading a bunch of maps on my phone.
2. If you're in wet weather, snowy weather, etc. I don't care to have my phone out in the elements. A work partner dropped his GPS in a lake the other day, we retrieved it and it is still working fine. Try that with your phone.
3. The GPS tracks much faster.
4. Battery life is much longer on a GPS.
5. Anything electronic is made to fail, having both really eliminates the chance of both not working.
6. I can send INREACH messages on my GPS when I don't have cell coverage.
7. I can send an SOS if things go real bad with my GPS.
8. In my opinion its easier to manage waypoints on a GPS, enter waypoints, etc.

I like using my phone as well, its convenient, and the phone has many functional uses that the GPS lacks.

I don't see a time I ditch either.

For work, we're also starting to use JAVAD's as well, high precision GPS.

We’ll stated Buzz!

Especially in cold weather the phone batteries drain so much faster. If your phone gets cold enough it will even shut down to protect it. I’ve never had that happen with a gps.

If I could design a phone it would be the size of an iPhone 12 mini with double the battery they currently have! Sadly the smaller phones are not in style now days. Looking to upgrade from my 7 soon but hate forking out so much dough.

New phones are much more weather resistant than even a couple years ago so we’re headed in the right direction. Happy hunting! FFG

Both. I feel like my gps is more reliable and accurate although idk if thats true or not. Definitely more durable.

Phone, onx and zoleo, paired with a power pac to charge. Why have the extra cost of a GPS. Obsolete tech IMO

Hey Dog... I did exactly as you. Phone is multi-use, lighter and brighter. Now I have another outdated piece of equipment, my older Garmin. Plus I don't have to carry spare batteries.

Hey Dog... I did exactly as you. Phone is multi-use, lighter and brighter. Now I have another outdated piece of equipment, my older Garmin. Plus I don't have to carry spare batteries.
Couldn't agree more.

Phone, onx and zoleo, paired with a power pac to charge. Why have the extra cost of a GPS. Obsolete tech IMO
Power pack is a good idea, but even with the power pack, you're still reliant 100% on your phone with no backup if it stops working (and they do, I've seen it). Garmin eTrex 20 is like $99 and super reliable as a backup. Just my opinion but I like redundancy in my safety systems.

Back