Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

GPS or phone

williaada

Do people still carry a hand held gps or have most people just gone to using their phone?

Made the switch to phone years ago. I havent seen someone hunting/hiking with a handheld gps (that wasnt also an inreach device) in years

I have switched to an iPad mini that fits in the pouch in back of bingo harness. So far it is working well.

I have gone to only using my phone.....until lately my frustration with OnX and tracks, using the phone in bad weather, phone battery life, bright sun situations.....I'm seriously considering upgrading my old Delorme InReach to a Garmin 67i just to get buttons I can operate with gloves on, a more rugged device and a screen (albeit small) that I can see in any condition. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but a dedicated GPS device just works better in my opinion. Phones are just too fragile. I still have a use for OnX on my phone and will probably use both in the field but instead of carrying my phone and a satellite device I think I'd be happier with a GPS unit with satellite communication and my phone. One backs up the other in a lot of ways.

One of my many reasons for going iPad versus gps, was the battery life. I can connect my iPad to my makita 18 volt battery to charge.
I also prefer a larger screen.
It was much easier to show companions where we were versus pointing to little screen.
I do not have it in a case which is somewhat risky but so far I have not fallen on my face, thereby damaging the iPad located on chest bino rig.
Knock on wood.

I use both. Short hunts typically use phone. Longer Backcountry hunts I use gps where I can swap out batteries and not worry about having to charge my phone. And I also really enjoy being disconnected while hunting. Not getting work related calls, texts, emails, for a week is very refreshing.

I use a phone for maps & satellite imagery, but also still take the Garmin Rino mostly for the radio. Getting a weather channel is useful too, when out for multiple days. Wish they would come out with a new one that was smaller and combined the GPS, radio and InReach.

When I am in a new area I still carry a GPS Its an old school Megellan but you need it , you need it. And I have. I just loaded a bunch of maps for my hunt next week. Thee is no cell service where i am going.

Just to be clear.
Cell service is not needed for my iPad. To get the gps unit, the iPad has to be cell service capable, but to operate it does not use cell service. I would not have had to add the tablet to my plan if I didn’t want to.
I download the maps from WiFi.

I just also plan to use my iPad as my backup camera screen for my truck for hooking up my RV to reduce marital communication frustration as well as using it for books, music and camera.

I’m a both person. Depending on what I’m doing I might be heavy one or the other. Phone battery life is a royal pain so that’s one of the nice features of a Garmin. As others have mentioned, phone durability is also an issue. I can drop my gps and not worry for a second anything is broken but can’t say the same for a phone. But I’m definitely trending more phone.

Always like to have a Garmin with as backup for emergency purposes also. Happy hunting! FFG

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back