Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Going to pull the trigger this weekend.

Moosie

Grand poopa
I'm going to pull the trigger this weekend on an elk or a deer but I'm worried. It is supposed to snow Friday Saturday and Sunday. I've taken many a critters in the snow and love it, but never with a black powder. I have to used an exposed cap. Any tips and/or tricks to make sure it stays dry so when I pull the trigger it goes BANG ?

don't lick the nipple

Might as well give up hunting if I can't do that !!!!

LAst weekend we snuck out and saw Elk by the road. If that happens again I guess we wait by them and don't worry about the snow, eh ?

149639_1577026437570_1592898151_1375424_1682614_n.jpg

We also didn't have the snow so spotting wasn't as easy. Thas one thing I like about the snow.

Couple of spikes we still caught glimpses of :

149141_1577031877706_1592898151_1375444_7687418_n.jpg

76028_1577031317692_1592898151_1375441_3103497_n.jpg

It was cold though last weekend...

73808_1577036037810_1592898151_1375448_2727639_n.jpg

This weekend it will have a high of 35 and Snowing 70% chance. Thats what's worrying me about the muzzle loader. I will hate to finally close the gap and have the gun go CLICK.

Am I over worrying ?

Keep the muzzle loader inside the cab of your heated pick up truck until you are ready to roll down the window and shoot.

Keep the muzzle loader inside the cab of your heated pick up truck until you are ready to roll down the window and shoot.

That goes with the first option in the first picture.

You know me.......... I won't get far from the road anyways. I mean really, If I have to get out of the warm cab and stop listening to Eminem, It's just not fun.

Speaking of Nipple lickers......... should i bring the Pink Slippers ?

attachment.php

Moosie, I've hunted in freaking thunderstorms with an exposed cap muzzleloader, I second the electrical tape theory, I've heard of people coating the outside with petroleum jelly I've never carried such a product, you might.

Keep the barrel pointing down and keep the nipple/cap tucked under your arm pit. If you have a sling place a condom over end of barrel and carry with sling over shoulder, barrel pointing upward and back position with cap/nipple under fore arm and elbow area. Carry an inline capper in your shirt pocket and attach to your shirt with about 10" string/leather, for really quick access. Carry a pocket knife (quick access) for just in case the cap gets stuck on the nipple. Carry a nipple wrench to remove the nipple if misfire occurs and firing fresh caps does not help. Remove nipple and pour in a little powder, replace nipple and fire gun. I'm asuming you are using #11 caps and loose powder ?
Depending on the area you are hunting, wearing a poncho really helps keeping the gun dry. They can be pain to wear in thick cover though.
Assuming it is legal to carry the gun decapped and leaving the powder, Do Not take the cold gun in a warm house,truck cab, hotel, etc..... It will sweat and then it will go click when the big one is in your sights.
With all that, you should be fine with the cap/nipple tucked under your arm.

Good Luck !!!!!

good luck, With you being gone for so long how you going to meet that number your trying to get this year?

good luck, With you being gone for so long how you going to meet that number your trying to get this year?

I already hit it , son !! :D :D

299 Oct 31st..... then Nov 6th before I hit the 300 :hump: But thanks for the concerns ;)

I heard they have Gun Condoms at cabela's from a friend. I'm not gunna use one of my Lubricated ribbed ones. Thats just wrong !!! Pluss, the wouln't fit over the end of the barrel . :eek:

BirdDog, Thanks for the good info. We do go through a bit of brush but
a lot of it is open .

Would it be better to not load the gun untill we are ready to use it ?

Choc Dog, Sounds like from you that I'm worrying about nothing. Hopefully so !!

I'll second the suggests of BDW.I was the victim of many percussion cap/muzzleloader gaffs when I first started out.My buddy has a 330 bull on his wall after a misfire of mine.I missed a 28" mule deer that probably would have scored in the 180's,....uhh at 15-20 yds(with factory adjustable sights,...since have gone to traditional fixed).I've hunted Montana in bad conditions,save your condom for when the moment is right,and use a balloon.I've tried pouring hot wax around the nipple,though I'm thinking that petroleum jelly is a better idea.Best suggestion and one that I follow EVERY time.Load your gun and then back that nipple out to prime the area underneath.Shoot magnum #11's.Finally realize shit happens.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back