Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Gettin' in shape?

I am also lucky enough to have some trailheads that I can hit on the way home from work, though most of those run about 500-1000' elevation gain in a mile or two. Just got started last week, but looking to get hikes in every Tuesday and Thursday between now and elk season. Planning to put on the pack in a week or two and start ramping up the weight from there. Hopefully the lbs will fall off accordingly... :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20140605_183609_847.jpg
    IMG_20140605_183609_847.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 846
I am admittedly slacking, still carrying the winter weight, which for some reason lasted all last summer and through this winter.

Shed hunting is usually the beginning of my cardio in preparation for fall. Deep snows and other obligations kept me from doing much good this year.

I did hike up to the snowline in the hills south of Helena this weekend. The flowers were beautiful. I especially love when the Coors are in bloom.:D

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 840
Well i am at a major disadvantage compared to you lucky guys with mountains and elevation, there are none of the above where i live, so any advice for a flat lander?
Cheers
Richard

Elliptical

Well i am at a major disadvantage compared to you lucky guys with mountains and elevation, there are none of the above where i live, so any advice for a flat lander?
Cheers
Richard

Richard
I am a flatlander too, 850' at my house in Michigan.
I been going out west Elk hunting on and off for almost 30 years.
3 years ago I started using a Elliptical along with my treadmill, I turn the resistance up on high on the Elliptical and do about 1 1/2 to 2 miles every other day this time of year, starting August 1, I start doing it every day.
My legs are in better shape then ever.
and I am 61.
First day of scouting last year we took a 8 mile hike in the morning, it didn't even phase me. came back to camp had breakfast, and took another hike in the afternoon.
I don't know what other people think of them, but it works for me.

Kevin

Injury free is key Rob.

Very much so, and at 47 I know I can no longer be a weekend warrior and stay injury free. Therefore I am doing my damnedest to become a full time warrior. :D

Tonight I just went to the Madison with my wife and sat on the bank waiting for the hatch that never came. I didn't get stronger or lose any weight, or even cast to a fish, but I saw currents that defied classical mathematical analysis, almost repeating, but never exactly repeating, and that was good enough for me. Rivers are good for mental health if you don't take them too seriously.

So here is to everyone's health, both mental and physical! There is more luck in keeping those than I would like to believe.

I'm heading the wrong direction. I've increased my workouts (but still not enough) and added 5 lbs of weight in last 2+ weeks. I've never stepped on a scale at or over 200 and I was about 1 cheeseburger shy of that number when I weighed in at the gym today.

Morning: 2 mile walk with the dog although even at 6am it's getting hot down here. Late morning before lunch: pushups, situps and plank (working my way thru the 30 day challenge that ends with a 5-minute plank/currently at 2 minutes) and hitting the gym as often as I can reasonably get in there. Leg workout today just destroyed almost any chance the dog has of getting his walk tomorrow and maybe Wednesday. Wife says she sees a difference in the weight distribution (for the better) but the pounds used to melt off with some work when I was younger... hmm, key phrase perhaps.

I've got no excuse, this is six miles from my house.

image_zpsb9781bf7.jpg
That fact and pic makes me hate you just a little bit... ;)

Getting ready for the mountains isn't easy in the part of Minnesota that I'm from. Our biggest hills wouldn't even show up as a contour line out west. Not only that, but the mosquitoes will carry you away this time of year if there are any trees or tall grasses around.

My routine each week has been 2 days in the gym. One doing basic cardio on the elliptical and one doing a basic full body weight lifting routine. The other 3 days are spent at the local sledding hill. 2 of those days are spent doing sprints up the hill and 1 is spent hiking with a weighted pack. Hopefully I'll be ready come September.

Last year in Wyoming I had to chase an elk up a mountain. After 80 yards I was seeing bright colors and almost puked on my boots. I had worked out like mad, but hadn't done any hill sprints. Obviously the elevation had much to do with it but the experience had a direct effect on how I prepare this year.

I also changed my diet two weeks ago. I completely cut out pop and junk food, and cut back on most other carbs. I've been eating much more protein, fats, and veggies. It's been a struggle and I've felt hungry almost nonstop since, but it's starting to improve each day as my body gets used to it. Hopefully between working out and eating different I can bring my weight down from about 165 to 150. It would be like having no day pack on!

Great thread -- really motivating.

I wish I were as lucky as some of you guys to have easy access to the woods. My job took me to the heart of Denver, CO not too long ago, and easy access is a thing of the past. I do almost all of my pre-season conditioning in the gym. This time of year, I increase cardio to 40 minutes a workout (5-6 times a week), and typically begin with 30 minutes of elliptical or bike at an intense pace (heart rate about 170 bpm), then finish my cardio portion with 10 minutes on the stair stepper (often with a 25lb weight in each hand). I do lunges and hip sled work weekly, and also add core strengthening.

Still, nothing beats a steep mountain side for getting into elk shape, and I head west with my dog and pack every chance I get.

You mountain dwellers are killin' me. I have to drive at least an hour to any trailhead that can give me more than a few hundred feet of elevation. I know I'm better off than guys in bigger cities in even flatter country though.

I really hate going to the gym, and its difficult to make myself do it. My new weapon in that fight is OYOA on Carbon TV. It's still not hiking in the mountains, but at least I can put in some good earbuds to block out the gym noise and focus on the show while I'm on the cardio equipment.

I can get to this canyon in about 40 minutes. I hiked it this morning, but got there too late to put in enough miles before the sun baked me.

14+-+1

I'm down about 3 pounds since I started, and soon I'll be back into the 150's for the first time since college! All next week I'll be in Canada fishing and the Labatts will probably set me back a bit, but after that I'm giving up all alcohol until after my hunt in September. 3 months of absolutely nothing but work, sleep, and preparing to kill a bull! I suppose I may have to pay attention to the girlfriend here and there when I find a few extra minutes, but even then my mind will be on elk!

Have lost 20 lbs since feb when I was diagnosed with hemochromatosis. After many units of blood removed I am feeling like I did 20 years ago. Eating low carbo(under 150 gr/day) and doing lot's of dog walks, rowing, sprints, biking, push ups, pull ups, squats and planks. Now that the snow is melting off the mountains will start to do more hiking.

Would like to drop another 20lbs by Sep 15.

Thought I would bump this up to the top. Been really focused on diet and exercise the last couple weeks. Dropped 4 pounds so far. Logged 50 miles running last week to get me over 1,000 miles this year so far.

Right now I'm 5 pounds heavier than last year at this time and about 200 miles behind where I was last year on running mileage. Probably not a coincidence.

Back on a training plan for a 10K race in September so that should keep me focused on my running. Intervals on Tuesdays, Tempo runs on Thursdays and Long runs on the weekend with easy running the rest of the days. Last year I ran it in 44:51 for a 7:13 avg pace, hoping to run it at least 1 second faster this year!

My diet's good M-F, but the weekends are as bad as the week is good...

I've been hitting the gym 4 days/week and the coaches keep it mixed up so I'm getting gains there. That said, I'm gonna start adding some extra work from now until fall to help increase the size of the gas tank. I recover now much better than I did a year ago, now I just want to go farther/longer before needing to take a break.

I've just finished week three of this immobility exercise. Two weeks left and then should be back to the trails.

IMG_20140713_161526781.jpg

Had to seriously reconsider my DQ strategies. Five weeks of lost preparation does not spell good news for me, once that Nevada archery hunt comes up in early August. Gonna be painful.

Big Fin. That's a fancy boot. Hope nothing serious.

I make time to exercise, whether it is biking to work or other exercises at home or the Y. My boys and I are going backpacking this weekend. That should help.

My experience is that physical exercise helps with my mental well being, as well.

Just keep moving, gentlemen.

Bad deal on the bum foot, hope it heals quick. How did it happen?

Been run/hiking up logging roads and jogging down. Up to 5 miles in about 1:15, carrying a light pack with water and sidearm. Got about 100 days before rifle elk/deer in Montana. Hope to get up to six miles carrying 20 lbs not stopping. Good going guys.

Found this as I'm sitting at the computer in my office job eating McDonalds and drinking a 20 oz Pepsi... (not my normal lunch though)I have been on the treatmill more now that I finally have some issues somewhat cleared up health wise.

Back