Gettin' in shape?

ShootsManyBullets

Seasons are getting closer everyday now. Anyone else dropping a few lbs for the season yet? I've dropped a pant size (10 lbs) and could stand to drop some more. I just like to eat and enjoy an occasional beer or 3 or it would come off faster.

Its so hot here that its not very fun to run outside anymore so it's either dawn patrol or nothing for me on the running. Been lifting quite a bit and shooting my bow. Hoping to make a couple scouting trips up north soon do some hiking.

How's everyone's conditioning coming along? I think we had a thread going a couple months ago so now it's time for progress reports. :hump:

Just the usual lunchtime routine of lugging a pack full of sand 1000' feet up the mountain and then back down.

I'm down 12 pounds from the bear hunt and using my treadmill more...still working on quitting smoking, but my e cig just doesn't have the same satisfaction to it that a real cigarette does

still working on quitting smoking
Good on you, keep at it.

I have lost a stone now, 2 runs and 1 long walk every week coupled with a bit of weight training, but seem to have hit a wall and having trouble losing more weight, must try harder.
Cheers
Richard

Three mile hike every morning before breakfast, and a 5 mile hike yesterday afternoon. Aim to increase mileage and add a pack. The dog loves to walk and my wife (also headed to Utah this fall) joins me on the 5 mile hike.

It took me 10 years to figure out that 90% of how you look and feel is diet. If you use diet to get yourself to a healthy weight then moving in the mountains becomes a lot easier. I use to w/o in a gym for hours 4-5 times a week and couldn't get myself under 200 because I ate everything in sight from working out so hard. Granted I was strong, but definitely overweight. When my son was born, my time for the gym was drastically reduced. So I worked out less, and focused on diet more. I discovered that diet was waaaay more effective. I'm down to 170 and healthier than I have ever been. All I do now is maintain a healthy eating style, go for one run a week, a walk everyday, and hike on the weekends with my son on my back.

Down 30# since the beginning of April. Riding the bike, pulling a bike trailer that has a cpl cement blocks in it. Just need to draw now.

I started working out and dieting last Month, I use a elliptical , treadmill and the total gym.
I have lost 10 pounds so far, and would like to lose 10 more yet.

Kevin

Been assigned to kid watching duty quite a bit lately so the treadmill and I have started to develop an intimate relationship. Pounded out 13.31 miles on the treadmill yesterday watching Silverado on the DVR. 9:01 avg pace and 2% incline.

Getting in a little hiking, but nothing too exciting. Will get to make a few trips to the mountains this summer and will get in some good hiking while I'm there.

Broke my collarbone skiing this winter so starting to do some work to get back my upper body strength, it is amazing how quickly you can lose it. My core is a bit weak right now too.

Like most I could lose another 10 - 15 lbs and that would help out quite a bit.

Last edited:
Ran my first ten mile race(more of a paid run for me) today at the Garden of The Gods here in the Springs. 10 miles 1hr33m .. since my unrealistic goal was for 1hr30m I was pretty happy...I passed the winner at about the 3 1/4 mile mark only they were headed back and had already done 6.5+ ...next up the Half on July 4th

Attachments

• IMG_2852a.jpg
    IMG_2852a.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 930
Last edited:
I am down 15 lbs over past 2 months. Had planned to run the 1/2 marathon in Helena this weekend, but everyone in my military group that was going to run it backed down to the 10K and I went with them. Hope to run a 1/2 before the summer is over.

I'm lucky to have a public trailhead a mile out my back door. I go uphill for an hour and twenty minutes, finding it takes me about forty minutes to trot back down to the trailhead. In the process, I gain about 1,700' of elevation. In the next two months, the vertical distance covered will increase about 500' in that time, depending upon how much weight I load in my pack.

As summer progresses, and my conditioning gets to "elk shape," I just add more weight to the pack. Not sure what I would do if not for these public trailheads. I would rather pee on a high voltage wire than go to a gym and workout. I just don't have the mindset to do that.

I purposefully tried to keep my "winter fat" to a lower level this year. I hunted wolves into March, trapped most of April, and will not allow myself to watch TV unless I am doing some sort of exercises. It seems to help. I am almost ten pounds less of winter fat than normal. But, now that the Bozeman DQ has completed their remodel and is open, the struggle ahead is daunting

A pic taken from a corner in the trail when I was running down the ridge yesterday. I find my cardio gets a great workout when running down hill with a pack.

IMG_20140607_093636_526.jpg

I'm lucky to have a public trailhead a mile out my back door. I go uphill for an hour and twenty minutes, finding it takes me about forty minutes to trot back down to the trailhead. In the process, I gain about 1,700' of elevation. In the next two months, the vertical distance covered will increase about 500' in that time, depending upon how much weight I load in my pack.

As summer progresses, and my conditioning gets to "elk shape," I just add more weight to the pack. Not sure what I would do if not for these public trailheads. I would rather pee on a high voltage wire than go to a gym and workout. I just don't have the mindset to do that.

We live in such an awesome place for this. I didn't work much this winter and at the end of the ski season I literally was the first non-patrol up the Ridge and the last one off. When spring came I had shaved three minutes off my time up the M from last year. I haven't lost a pound, but I'm a stronger hiker than I've ever been. I'm hoping to stay injury free and looking forward to when the backcountry opens up... I'll avoid the HV wires though...

I'm in for a very rude awakening when I draw my goat tag next week.

We live in such an awesome place for this. I didn't work much this winter and at the end of the ski season I literally was the first non-patrol up the Ridge and the last one off. When spring came I had shaved three minutes off my time up the M from last year. I haven't lost a pound, but I'm a stronger hiker than I've ever been. I'm hoping to stay injury free and looking forward to when the backcountry opens up... I'll avoid the HV wires though...

Yes you do...duplicating grade here in the flats is boring but doable...the altitudes, not so much.

Injury free is key Rob.

I'm lucky to have a public trailhead a mile out my back door.
That is something I am desperately trying to convince my wife we need at our next house. I'm not sure I'm winning that argument though. I miss true topography and public lands...

I'm doing a lot of crossfit but will probably cut back and do more hiking soon.
All that working out makes me eat like a horse.

I've got no excuse, this is six miles from my house.

image_zpsb9781bf7.jpg

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mtbirdandbiggamehunter
Back