General Rifle in Montana (Central Montana)

rednechuntr

This is going to be my second year trying to fill an elk tag in Montana. I just have the general tag and plan on hunting the rifle season but I am currently trying to get my bow back up to par so I could possibly try hunting in the archery season while doubling as scouting for later in the season.
I was not prepared for last season at all and learned many valuable lessons during the 5 or 6 hunts I did in the Little Belts. I have already been scouting multiple times this year, seen elk from afar and up close, so I'm way ahead of the curve compared to last year. I've been working out and hiking with a pack+25lb plate attached to the outside of it to help get my legs into shape. I figure being in shape will at least allow me to go where I want/need to find the elk instead of being limited by my legs giving out.

I guess that's a little background info before posing my questions. I don't want to be that "new guy" to the forums and immediately start asking for a person's honey-hole. But, if anyone who has hunted the Little Belts or surrounding areas would be willing to give advice, I'm all ears. Be it on here or a PM. Would you guys suggest getting deep and finding knarly places where most don't dare to go or trying to get onto a BMA? Any advice about anything hunting that area, montana rifle hunting, or any kind of tactics for late season elk hunting would be much appreciated. Being from Iowa and hunting whitetails all my life, when I moved out here it was a big shock as to how much ground I could cover without seeing anything. It's a night and day difference in tactics and strategy. Thanks in advance fellas.

Elk Scouting 002.jpgElk Scouting 010.jpgElk Scouting 013.jpgElk Scouting 015.jpg

Here's some pics from our first scouting excursion. All of our hearts were pounding being that close to the elk. We accidentally stumbled into their bedroom but got out without any of them getting overly concerned and busting out of there.

One thing I would suggest is if the area is hunted pretty heavy then find the choke points and saddles and post up there if you know there are elk in the area. they will eventually get pushed through. Also find where the elk can get their needs for that time of year, food, shelter, water, and food again!

Welcome to the site!

Your pictures bring back memories. Those blow downs are fun to navigate.

Covering lots of ground is key as you said - lots of drainages with nothing. The ones you are seeing now will be in the general area thru archery season till about the first couple days of rifle. Archery pressure is not bad - lots of locals rifle hunt it. Use the BMA's late November for deer. Stay on the FS for elk. Not many will walk those burns once snow hits in late rifle. Get on an opposing ridge and watch the burns that cant be seen from a road. You are in a good area, tough but good.

The area I hunted had road access on the tops so the elk were using smaller finger drainages down lower. They would feed mid to upper mountain but go down (away from pressure) to bed. Different from what I'm use to. It made it tough because you had to drop in after them vs waiting for them to move up to you.

Those blowdowns flat wore me out. Great area but tough to bushwack. PM me if you need more areas to check out.

Sorry- I've never been hunting in the Little Belt area so I'm no help. Just wanted to say thanks for posting the pictures. Very cool !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back