Game bags

KRasmussen

In another thread, http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=251571, there are a lot of comments about using "quality" game bags. It has been years since I have been able to harvest anything, mostly due to the fact I haven't been hunting since the 'ol man passed away, and when I did it was always close to home and the ice chest and freezer.

I plan on going a little farther away this year and if I tag out what do I put the game in? Pillow cases? The game bags from the porting goods place or is there a particular brand to look for?:confused:

I use the ones huntbux linked. Great bags that will last you years. They clean up better than any bag I've ever used.

Mice can eat through them, though. :eek:

I guess I'm cheap but pillow cases are all I use...extremely light weight, and very packable, perfect for boned meat. I have better things to spend money on so I buy my game bags for 25 cents each.

yep on the ones huntbux linked. super lightweight...6 take up the space of 2 of the ones i used to use. I usually only carry 4 and use the rest of the space in the mesh carry bag to hold surgeons gloves, tags, knife, or other gear for after the kill...

Pillow cases work well...used many times. However I prefer to use the TAG Bag which huntbux linked or the Caribu Gear bags that Big Fin refers to. I have both of them and both brands are lightweight, compact and clean up much better than pillow cases.

Where synthetics work better over the cotton found in pillow cases is when you are dealing with moisture. Rain, melted snow, dew, or whatever might result in moisture.

Once wet, cotton stays wet, and so does the meat. That is not good. If it is dry, you might not notice much difference.

Appreciate its different for me but at home i dont joint up the deer in the field.
Once i get the deer home in its coat i use a big duvet cover and place the deer in it, hoist it up for it to cool down, and this keeps the flies off until i joint it up and put it in my chiller.
Cheers
Richard

I have been using Alaska Game Bags for many years now without any problems. I have 2 sets (4 bags per set), I carry one when it's hot and leave the other set back in camp as a backup. After I use them, I wash and hang dry them. Then I fold them as small as I can and this allows me to place all 4 bags in a gallon sized zip-lock bag for storage and to carry in my backpack. If it's really hot outside, I soak 4 bags at a time in a large bowl filled with 1 bottle of Tobasco and 1 bottle of Lemon juice, and hang dry again. This helps to keep the flies and other bugs off in case I have to hang the bags over night in the montains or in camp. I learned this from an old timer 15-20 years ago. Not sure how much it actually helps, but I know it sure doesn't hurt!

If it's really hot outside, I soak 4 bags at a time in a large bowl filled with 1 bottle of Tobasco and 1 bottle of Lemon juice, and hang dry again. This helps to keep the flies and other bugs off in case I have to hang the bags over night in the montains or in camp. I learned this from an old timer 15-20 years ago. Not sure how much it actually helps, but I know it sure doesn't hurt!

Interesting idea. I've only heard what people use on the game/meat itself and not on treating the bags.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back