NEW SITKA Ambient 75

First time Elk hunter

BeauP

Hello,

I am planning an rifle elk hunting trip this year in Montana with a friend of mine. Neither one of us has hunted elk before. Our plan is a DIY on-foot hunt with the general elk / deer combo license. We are both in good shape, hunt quite a bit. Our plans so far are narrowed down to HD's 323, 327, and 362. Our goals for this trip are to see some elk, learn a bit on how elk hunting works, see some beautiful scenery, and shoot an elk or deer if the opportunity presents itself. I do have a few questions. What is a good map that shows trails and roads in these areas? I am mostly wondering what trails are on-foot only and no wheelers allowed. We would like to try and get away from the traffic if possible. Also, do people see deer in these HD's on any regular basis? Any reply would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Beau P

Hello,

I am planning an rifle elk hunting trip this year in Montana with a friend of mine. Neither one of us has hunted elk before. Our plan is a DIY on-foot hunt with the general elk / deer combo license. We are both in good shape, hunt quite a bit. Our plans so far are narrowed down to HD's 323, 327, and 362. Our goals for this trip are to see some elk, learn a bit on how elk hunting works, see some beautiful scenery, and shoot an elk or deer if the opportunity presents itself. I do have a few questions. What is a good map that shows trails and roads in these areas? I am mostly wondering what trails are on-foot only and no wheelers allowed. We would like to try and get away from the traffic if possible. Also, do people see deer in these HD's on any regular basis? Any reply would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Beau P

This link should help- http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/custergallatin/maps-pubs/?cid=stelprdb5062894

You'll need the 'West-South' Map and the MVUM. Those two things and Google earth should take care of everything you need as far as maps. You may possibly need the furthest east Beaverhead NF map also depending on how far up in the Gravellies you go.

I don't think you should expect to see much for deer, but it's great elk country.

Thanks for the links! That was exactly what I was looking for. We are ok with not shooting a bull, plenty of time for that in the future hopefully. Just looking for a place with high numbers and some room to get away from people and get a good first experience.

Thanks!
-Beau P

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back