Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Fear of Lost Keys

I keep my spare FOB on a piece of looped 550 cord hanging next to the door on the hook.

ANY TIME I am riding atvs, fishing, scouting, camping or hunting that FOB gets tethered to my belt loop before putting it in my pocket.

I made it to the trailhead once, without my atv key. About two hours from home. Fortunately, I had a different sibling with me that was able to use a sewing needle that my buddies wife had to cross the ignition wire with the hot wire behind the switch on the dash to make it run. Was able to ride that day.
Wasn’t it a John Wayne quote that said “life is hard especially if you are dumb”

I've floated ATV's twice in rivers. The last one, I had just bought. A crossing that I had done many times before, took me for a first time ride. With sweepers coming up, I had to let her go and save myself. Crawling up on the bank, I watched as it floated like a jet-ski, handle bars up, a 1/4 mile down the river and around a bend out of sight. Truck keys were in pack, strapped to the racks. Couple hours later, managed to cross back. Found wheeler on shallow sand bar. Recovery pic.Atv Float.JPG
I leave a key at the truck now.

Some great tales here. My PLB and FOB will be attached to my bino harness from now on. PLB hangs by a D ring next to the bino pocket, and the FOB goes in the little zippered pocket with another easily misplaced item (the tag!), after locking the vehicle!

Had a friend do a 3 day backpack elk hunt with his girlfriend. When they returned they couldn't find the keys in their packs they argued over who had them/lost them. Then they figured maybe they locked them in the truck so they broke out a window and still couldn't find them. An hour later she found them in the bottom of his pack.
I bet what REALLY happened was, she had the keys, then after searching for a while she realized she did have them. She concealed them in her hand and acted like she was searching his pack, and pulled them out saying "Here they are". He probably knew better but was wise enough not to admit it.

I bet I typically check the pack pocket where I put mine 4-5 times before I walk away from the truck. It’s usually worst at early morning dark, I don’t get as worried about misplacing them if I can see. I badly need to do the hide a key deal

I’ve always been a hide the key behind the gas fill door guy but with the new fobs that is close enough to the door of the truck that you can just push the button on the door and it unlocks.

Been thinking about getting one of them fancy pouches you can put the fob in that blocks the frequency but not sure the behind the gas fill door is a good place to hide it anyway.

Love my Ford keypad, but when in BFE I don't trust it because a dead battery would be no bueno.

I stash the keys and be sure everyone in our party knows where bc you never know who needs to get into and/or drive the vehicle out in emergency

I hadn't thought or this yet. My 23 chevy is fob only no key, but it also it a WT so no button on the door to press to unlock when it senses the fob. I may just find hide spot on the truck for the fob and leave it with the truck.

Just got back yesterday from 3 days of mulie buck scouting. No sign whatsoever - no dropping, no rubs, no tracks, not even a doe seen. But I knew exactly where my fob was at all times!

I'm surprised by the number who can access their fuel fill door without being required to release it open from inside the vehicle.

Reactions: JDH
Love my Ford keypad, but when in BFE I don't trust it because a dead battery would be no bueno.

I stash the keys and be sure everyone in our party knows where bc you never know who needs to get into and/or drive the vehicle out in emergency
I have an 01 explorer sport so I've had it for the tune of 330k miles. Not my primary anymore. But I've had plenty of times on a cloudy day I would turn the headlights on and when I park forget to shut them off. Easy to remember when it's dark and you can still see them on. I'm embarrassed at the # of times I've had to call AAA for an lockout AND a jump because i always used to lock the keys in the car. Literally they never left my car. Most of the time just sitting in the cupholder. At night the middle console.

If that happened back up in the woods......

I'm surprised by the number who can access their fuel fill door without being required to release it open from inside the vehicle.
Some of us still drive real trucks. We don't all Subaru so hard bro. lol

Because crap can and does happen on any hunt I have keys to truck clipped inside of small pocket in pack and extra set hidden in truck that I can get to, house and other keys locked inside and starter fuse pulled and put someplace safe inside also
Never lost my keys but did have a buddy almost lock us out hunting fox at night glad a window was down a bit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back