Exchange?

Fergus County seems to oppose based on the fact that tax receipts would be lower on the state acreage being received than taxes on the private acreage being exchanged. I can understand that concern, as all politics are local.

Since the Dana would then have an increased value in private land holding for the county where that ranch is located, ssems there would be more private land acreage to tax, seems another county would end up with an increased tax base. Not that such helps the Fergus County Tax rolls, but helps the other county(ies).

If the cash flow projections by DNRC are correct, the exchange will put a lot of extra cash in the State Land Trust, the proceeds of which are used for education funding across the state. How that bigger pot of State Land Trust receipts gets allocated to Fergus County, is not something I know the answer to, but it seems they would have some benefit from that allocation of receipts.

DNR should have the Payment in Lieu of Taxes impact written into the proposal.

Randy is on the right track here, you can ixnay the deal based on principle, and in the end you'll have nothing.

The DNR land would be very difficult to hunt via corner crossing if you wanted to go that route. Much of it is open rangeland with no timber. Not saying you couldn't just saying it would be difficult to say the least.

To be honest, Fin had my mind changed about this. I still had reservations about the land values, etc but access is access. I guess we'll see if Dana Ranch will be in Block Management come fall.

Maybe it's time to push a voter initiative on corner crossing.

This tells me the appraised values were not going to balance out as originally estimated by DNRC and the projected cash flows from the X Hanging Bar were not as reliable/predictabble as might have been originally represented. And if that is the case, then the system worked as it should work. We should not do anything where the public does not get equal or greater values.

I do wonder if the Dana is going to stay in the Devil's Kitchen Block Management Program. I sure hope so. If not, we lose some really good elk hunting right near a big population of elk hunters.

This is just one of many exchanges that will be on our laps in the coming years. Hopefully the system continues to insure that the state gets equal or greater values and equal or greater cash returns, before any trade can be completed. Unfortunately, there will be times when the system of appraisals and cash flows results in trades that may be unfavorable from an access perspective, and hunters will need to work toward finding the most attractive option among a host options all of which we might find to be unattractive options.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back