Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Elk .... Let's see them!!!

This is my 2012 Utah bull on the Wasatch Mts unit rifle hunt. My first bull and a do it yourself hunt

Attachments

• Brians Elk 2012 024.jpg
    Brians Elk 2012 024.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,703
My youngest daughter Lindsey with her four Wyoming bulls. She has drawn tags like clockwork every three years starting from age 14. The picture of her third bull made the cover of an annual hunting magazine in Wyoming.

04' antelope 012.jpg

Lindsey's elk 001.jpg

Lindsey's 2010 elk.jpg

2013 elk 040.jpg

My middle daughter Amy got her first bull elk at age 12 and then a couple cows in the next two years. She got out of the hunting game for eight years and then decided it was time for her to get a 6x6 bull "like everyone else in the family". Was really proud of her coming back to the field under such harsh conditions and making a great shot on a really old bull.

Amy's first bull 001.jpg

Amy's cow elk.jpg

Amy's elk 2011 008.jpg

My oldest daughter Kerry has taken her share of elk and some great bulls, including one with archery equip. When she doesn't have a bull tag she goes cow hunting and all of this between being an RN and having two kids. In 2013, I took her when she killed her biggest bull, definitely one of my most memorable hunts of all-time!

Kerry's first 6pt.jpg

Kerry's 7x6.jpg

kerry's elk 07 083.jpg

Kerry's broke bull.jpg

Kerry's 2011 elk.jpg

Kerry's bull 2013.jpg

Better not leave out my 'other' girl, my wife Kathy. When I met her, she had nothing against hunting , but wouldn't harm a hair on a rabbit's head! She doesn't hunt like the rest of the family, but when she does, she does good.

Kathy's 2005 bull.jpg

Kathy 2010.jpg

Kathy's 2011 bull.jpg

Dang, JM77, it would be hard for the average guy to have much credibility in a family that shoots as many big elk as they shoot at your house. Congrats to those ladies.

Here is my post college streak of raghorn bulls. I hunt National Forest land in Colorado so the first legal bull I see usually ends up on the pack frame. This particular area is heavy dark timber and there are lots of other hunters.

I have enjoyed having the constant elk supply in the freezer the last four years:)

Here they are:

d06e0722-b520-4976-acdc-8b70dd656d86_zpsad357770.jpg

DSCN0607_zpsb14787ab.jpg

DSCN0777_zpsa06627d5.jpg

bull2014_zps93f9f36e.png

Brookie,

NICE JOB! Very impressive, especially given the fact you're doing it in CO (pumpkin land) and from a few states away.

Brookie,

NICE JOB! Very impressive, especially given the fact you're doing it in CO (pumpkin land) and from a few states away.

Thanks! Its a tough place to hunt but I love it out there. I like Colorado because you can just drive out and get a bull tag over the counter with minimal pre-planning. Also, there are LOTS of elk.

I think Randy (Big Fin) wrote an article a while back highlighting the fact that there are ample opportunities out west for it to be possible for guys like me to hunt elk every year. I wish I could remember where that article is, perhaps Bugle?

Anyway, the gist of the article was that if a person can save $800-$1000 in a year, has a few buddies, a pickup, and a tent then there is no reason to not hunt elk every year even if you live east of the Dakotas.

Besides, when a guy draws a tag in a limited entry area then they will be feeling pretty deadly on elk from all the practice. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back