Elk Hunting Natural Springs

Bill Christy

Being a lifelong hunter, I've noticed here in Idaho pressured bull elk gravitate to hidden natural springs for seclusion. So, I've discovered following a spring stream up into the mountains is a road map to filling my tag. I was wondering if anyone else has been awakened to this?

Being a lifelong hunter, I've noticed here in Idaho pressured bull elk gravitate to hidden natural springs for seclusion. So, I've discovered following a spring stream up into the mountains is a road map to filling my tag. I was wondering if anyone else has been awakened to this?
Where in Idaho are we talking?

Meanwhile they are people glued to their phones looking at maps for every spring in those units.

If you could be more specific, that'd be great.
unit 66: areas 10,11,14,15 above Grays Lake; unit 66: Poker Peak area; unit 66A: from road 087 down to the Monte Cristo Mine; and unit 76: in the Diamond Flat area. While these natural springs are flowing, they are gold mines when elk are pressured.

unit 66: areas 10,11,14,15 above Grays Lake; unit 66: Poker Peak area; unit 66A: from road 087 down to the Monte Cristo Mine; and unit 76: in the Diamond Flat area. While these natural springs are flowing, they are gold mines when elk are pressured.
I'm glad to hear that you've found a means of success year after year due to this strategy. My comment was very sarcastic. If you value your areas and your strategy, I might consider deleting this entire thread.

Wow! Thanks for bringing us this groundbreaking info. Elk need water. o_O

Wait, what?!? Water moves underground? How do I hunt elk that are down there going after that water? I’m guessing shots are really close range

If’n a man should walk one of these springs anywhere elk live, locate a damp area and then dig that out into a pool. Dam up the downhill side with rocks or a wall of sticks driven into the ground. Then place a game cam to see if it’s productive. Well then, that might be a great idea I learned a decade ago from a NR Texan.

If’n a man should walk one of these springs anywhere elk live, locate a damp area and then dig that out into a pool. Dam up the downhill side with rocks or a wall of sticks driven into the ground. Then place a game cam to see if it’s productive. Well then, that might be a great idea I learned a decade ago from a NR Texan.
If you build it they will come.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back