Time to play politics. Help me move these rule changes through the process at IDFG.

@Elkmagnet - IMHO - The 100% GMU you are citing is a waste of a OIL tag. Drawing it would just lock you out for another two years before you could put in for a unit with better than 0% harvest for the last decade.

It has 100% draw odds for a reason. But thats beside the point. There are quite a few hunts with 100% harvest and really good odds. You just have to pick your own ballence and live with it.
The reality is that the easiest to draw rifle pronghorn permit had 7% odds last year moose has way better odds. The hardest to draw Idaho moose hunt has better odds than the hardest to draw elk hunt.
The draw odds are getting pretty bad and they are going to get worse. If you aren't applying for units with greater than 20% odds than you are likely going to get passed by. It's a decision that Im going to have to make also.

The draw rule allowing one OIL app or D, E and A only is the single best rule in Idaho hunting. We live in a state where it is easier to draw a mountain goat tag than a rifle pronghorn tag. Let's keep it this way.

If you haven't drawn a moose tag in that long, that is on you for unit choice (even with disregarding the bottom 5% of units with terrible kill odds). If you want to hunt moose, you could have, and still can. If you only want to hunt moose in a certain place, then that is a different thing. We also get almost 90 days to hunt most moose tags. Take two week's vacation, plus weekends, add Labor Day and Thanksgiving, and you can hunt like 35+ days.

You mentioned that you get mad seeing people drawing OIL tags and not caring...if you want to see people with those tags that don't give a shit, then let everyone put in for everything.

Every year, a resident can get 5-10% odds on sheep or goat, or 10-15% odds on great moose hunts. And that doesn't count the freak deals that happen most years where by some weird occurrence someone pulls a goat or sheep tag with like 25% odds (happened to my best friend with goat.) There are even better odds to be had on moose for those who spend some time looking. Your #2 proposal would destroy that.

We live in a state where residents can hunt deer, elk and antelope every single year, and put in for sheep or goat or moose with a serious chance of drawing. Let's not eff that up.

Last edited:
The draw rule allowing one OIL app or D, E and A only is the single best rule in Idaho hunting. We live in a state where it is easier to draw a mountain goat tag than a rifle pronghorn tag. Let's keep it this way.

If you haven't drawn a moose tag in that long, that is on you for unit choice (even with disregarding the bottom 5% of units with terrible kill odds). If you want to hunt moose, you could have, and still can. If you only want to hunt moose in a certain place, then that is a different thing. We also get almost 90 days to hunt most moose tags. Take two week's vacation, plus weekends, add Labor Day and Thanksgiving, and you can hunt like 35+ days.

You mentioned that you get mad seeing people drawing OIL tags and not caring...if you want to see people with those tags that don't give a shit, then let everyone put in for everything.

Every year, a resident can get 5-10% odds on sheep or goat, or 10-15% odds on great moose hunts. And that doesn't count the freak deals that happen most years where by some weird occurrence someone pulls a goat or sheep tag with like 25% odds (happened to my best friend with goat.) There are even better odds to be had on moose for those who spend some time looking. Your #2 proposal would destroy that.

We live in a state where residents can hunt deer, elk and antelope every single year, and put in for sheep or goat or moose with a serious chance of drawing. Let's not eff that up.
I couldn't have said it better.

Nonresident, and I wouldn't want #2 for nonresidents. Look at Utah, they screwed NRs over by letting everyone apply for everything.

I applied for moose for decades as a resident and never drew. I've stopped applying for Big Three tags. "Slightly better" is in the eye of the beholder. Applying for a tag I know I will never get and then being locked out of other draws is a non starter for me.
Man, you're getting beat up here...

I get the premise of what you're going for. I really do. I watched an old guy finally draw moose after 36 years of applying. His average odds, 1 in 4 random. I don't think people realize 1 in 4 random DOESN’T mean at 4 years you'll probably draw, it means EVERY SINGLE YEAR the odds are 4 to 1 against you drawing. I applied for 16 years in deer elk and antelope. Never drew. I know people that have all the luck and people with ZERO luck. You know that "seniors can purchase youth tags." Rule. Yeah that was me! I suggested that. Why? I'm all about keeping our old guys hunting.

Me personally, I'd say leave the other guys out of the big 3. If they make all draws 1 and done ok. But if those consistent big game drawers can put in with us loooooosers I'll never draw again.

Man it's to bad there's not a system where those who put in for 20 years could have a slight advantage in a separate draw.... like every 4 years we draw a bonus tag for you guys. Devoting 5% of tags to unlucky applicants is heresy apparently. If we gave up 3%, 4%, or 5% to a "the unluckiliest people ever pool." Every few years guys like you would draw and NOBODY would care about their points... because you'll probably draw 3 times before they ever mattered anyway.

Last edited:
I am opposed to both of your proposals.

1. There is no inconvenience to buy a license in December. Especially now that you can do it online. This would be especially problematic for NR when applying for controlled hunts. It would require them to buy 2 licenses just to hunt one year.

2. Hell no. Idaho has some of the best resident drawing odds for the OIL species because they make you choose what you really want. If you think that some lazy and unmotivated hunters are drawing moose tags now, just wait until anyone and everyone can apply for the big three. The way it is now requires people to be dedicated to the idea of drawing an OIL tag and hopefully represents to a certain extent, that the applicant truly understands the value of the tag for which they are applying.

I applied for moose for decades as a resident and never drew. I've stopped applying for Big Three tags. "Slightly better" is in the eye of the beholder. Applying for a tag I know I will never get and then being locked out of other draws is a non starter for me.
I understand where you are coming from But! I hate the idea of number 2. We actually have some Big Three tags with double digit odds right now. When I finally drew my Idaho moose permit the odds were over 60 percent. I also put in for moose for 20 years but finally made the decision to put in for a less favorable hunt/ unit. Most states are greedy and create a hundred special tag categories and EVERYONE puts in for everything making all odds terrible. Idaho has kept big 3 tags obtainable and bypassed a lot of potential revenue to do so. Whats next a points system. Please dont push to turn Idaho draws into another ponzi scheme!

I should put in for the 100% unit and go prove why no one has killed a moose in there for 3 years.

If they are in there, the age class should be excellent.

Gonna buy a wall tent and put up one of those squatter camps that blocks a trailhead.

Then I will pinch all the barbs on my dry flies and wade the streams until I find a shooter bull.

I will carry my bow. I understand if you stick one and lose it, they give you a free do-over.

Last edited:
I should put in for the 100% unit and go prove why no one has killed a moose in there for 3 years.

If they are in there, the age class should be excellent.

Gonna buy a wall tent and put up one of those squatter camps that blocks a trailhead.

Then I will pinch all the barbs on my dry flies and wade the streams until I find a shooter bull.

I will carry my bow. I understand if you stick one and lose it, they give you a free do-over.
Seriously I was in the same boat and had apllied at least 20 years for moose. Until a few years ago I owned a fairly large parcel of land and saw great bulls every year while hunting deer and elk. I put in for that same unit every year and thought I should just change my name to Not Selected.I finally said F-it I am going moose hunting! I put in for a late november 10 day hunt in a less desirable unit. The odds the year I drew came out as over 60 percent.I had a challenging but great hunt and harvested a bull I am really satisfied with. That was probably 8-10 years ago and now I am getting not selected for goat 😂. Anyways, i know what its like to really want a specific tag but if youre willing to play the game for less desirable tags you will most likely draw. I put in for a goat tag that had around 25 percent odds the year before. I went in there deer hunting and when I figured out where the goats were I was never so gratefull to have NOT drawn that goat tag lol. Anyways sometimes great odds arent necessarily the only factor.

Very happy to see this thread backfire like it should. Idaho needs ZERO changes to the current system. We’ve all had bad ideas :)

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back